Help with 2014 SGJ, 2 wire PUP to PCB

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by BigT, Mar 17, 2021.

1. BigT

BigT New Member

I am positive a thread for this must exist, but I can't seem to find one with my searches. So my apologies up front.

This guitar came with 61 PAF zebra's, and I want to put in some BG Pure90's. I'm still waiting on the Pure90's, but I decided to pull everything apart, clean the guitar, and just take a look. Saw what I now know to be called a PCB (never dealt with these before) that the Pickups plugged into with a 5-pin plug.. My first thought was "crap, is this how everything comes now?" So I checked out the BG site, and it looks like the Pure90's have a red Hot, and a white and bare ground.

Has anyone figured out how to wire an old-style pickup into these PCB things? I've seen conflicting info on-line, so I thought I would ask here where there would be people who have the exact same PCB I have. I generically would prefer to just replace the PCB with wired pots, but I have a feeling that's going to get expensive fast. I was just trying to convert this Jr to a "cheap" P90 axe to play with, so I'd like to avoid spilling a bunch of money into it.

Thanks for any insight.

2. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

What you'll end up doing is soldering the new pickups hot wire to "volume pot high" and its ground lead and shield to "volume pot low",
    or a convenient ground location.
    With an ohm meter you should be able to determine which wire is which on the new pickups.
    I've got a few connected this way with the PCBs, no problem.

3. BigT

BigT New Member

Yeah, looks like some folks sell cables with the little sockets on ebay, so I grabbed some of those. I would assume I ignore the two tap cables, and stick the ground and "shield" to the ground. I don't guess it's something that's easy to destroy if you get it wrong the first go, so maybe I'll be able to stumble through it.. heh.

4. jp4strings

jp4strings New Member

i have a 2014 SGJ also - I got some GuitarFetish P90s and their wiring kwikplug wiring harness and took the zebras & pcb out and replaced everything. super easy and the only thing i had to solder was a right angle switch onto the GuitarFetish harness.

5. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

@BigT , You need this adapter, ( eBay)

Gibson SG White 160.JPG