Help with SG II refresh

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by SnookBone, Nov 17, 2021.

1. SnookBone

SnookBone New Member

Hello, new to the forum. I just picked up my first SG, a SG II. Serial number is 511954 which seems to date to 74'. Pots were replaced and date to 1994. Came with a 80's era schaller 456 bridge. Guitar was refinished in what appears to be black lacquer and there is a hand painted mural on the back. I believe there was a headstock repair.

I bought the guitar as a project piece and was planning on refinishing, refret, and cleaning up the wiring as needed. Thing is the guitar just rips as is. Straight neck, great action, and the mini humbuckers make my ears happy. So, strip the black lacquer and mural or leave as is.

Also, anyone know where to find a template for a pickguard for a SG II?

SG front.jpg sg art works.jpg

2. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

I'd try to fit a classic SG style pickguard on it somehow. Or, failing that, get a 5-ply one in the original's shape just to dress it up a little.

These guys can make you one, it's listed as PG-2019:

http://www.pickguardplanet.com/sg-pickguards/

Edit: Actually, maybe two pieces of plastic on the front is always going to look like too much, and you'd be better off having no PG and getting a 5-ply cavity cover. I might go that route if I were you.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  3. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

i think this would look so much better with a SG Special style guard, like the PG16402, instead of the original LP like...
    but i guess u would then need to have it customized...

4. beerbelly

beerbelly Well-Known Member

The artwork is cool and reflects someone's dreams, effort & talent. How about refinishing the front & leave the back?

SGBreadfan likes this.
  5. njpaulc

njpaulc Well-Known Member

I'd leave it like it is. Maybe clean up the finish on the top and seal the back. I'd always wanted to get one of these and convert the controls to a back rout, but i wouldn't on this one because of the back. I would think about changing the controll layout to at least a toggle switch instead of the two slide switches, but really, but other than replacing the rusty screws and cleaning up the top, it's fine like it is.

Knucklehead71 likes this.
  6. Decadent Dan

Decadent Dan Active Member

I’d see if P-90’s would fit

7. SnookBone

SnookBone New Member

Appreciate all the ideas! The art work is growing on me so I'm thinking it will stay. Plan on buffing front of the body and headstock. Ill strip the back of the neck and refinish with oil. I am honing in on the final shape of a new pickguard, thinking of using pearloid black. Will keep the single vol and tone pot and replace switch with toggle.

sg pickguard full.jpg sg back full.jpg

PermissionToLand likes this.
  8. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

I would definitely keep the art work. That is not something you can get back if you regret it later. Honestly it would have been a prime motivator for me to buy it in the first place. :D

9. SGBreadfan

SGBreadfan Active Member

I agree 100%, the artwork is really cool IMO!

10. PermissionToLand

Nice, I like your pickguard idea. Curious to see how it comes out.

11. SnookBone

SnookBone New Member

Had some time today to work on the refresh. I ran a UV light over the guitar to check for obvious repairs and was happy to not find what I originally thought was a headstock repair, heel looks good as well. The art work lit up brought back some memories. Cut and polished the body and headstock. Measured the pups, the rhythm measured 6.29 and the lead 5.85.

I jammed a bit before stripping the parts and was surprised by how much the body of the guitar resonated with the amp. I've never experienced a guitar body vibrate like that, felt alive. Very cool. Guess I am just really late to the SG party but glad I finally arrived.

sg neck bl2.jpg sg bl neck1.jpg sg heel bl.jpg sg back bl.jpg headstock cut and swirl.jpg Front cut and swirl.jpg

PermissionToLand and SGBreadfan like this.
  12. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG!

I for one will be excited to see what you make of this guitar.

13. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Welcome !

14. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Well,I have to say that as is, it looks pretty cool. Kind of a rat SG, if you will. I always thought those looked stupid on account of them having a pick guard as well as that that guard that's only there because some bastard was too lazy to back route the body. Removing the pickguard actually makes more sense because now it looks more thought through than before when it just looked as some kind of Hey let's make this as cheap as we can yet still have our cake and eat it. No one will see the back anyway unless you end up in the audience so that's completely up to you.

However, makes me think of the King of Norway. When Quisling and his cohorts took over the royal castle during WWII they knocked out a floor and made a staircase into the study. After the war, the king came back and people wanted to restore the castle to it's original state but the king said No, it's part of its history now so it would be wrong to remove it.

In any case, leave the top and don't get a pickguard, it looks damn cool as is in it's worn state and putting a guard on would make it look silly again.

15. laza616

laza616 Active Member

Oh wow, the artwork is cool, i wouldnt touch it. Its an art and it ads a nice soul to the guitar!
    Also the black finish does look just fine.
    So refinishing is unnecessary in my opinion.
    But i like the idea of striping down the neck finish and refinish the neck with oil
    The guitar looks fantastic without the pickguard and i would leave it as it is
    I would get p90s to the guitar if they would fit

How much did you pay for this axe?

16. MR D

MR D Active Member

GIBSON USA really cheaped out while making this model....I'd put an Angel-Wing Pick-Guard on it (If it will fit/not touch the control cover plate) and leave the painting on the back as is...All while playing the $#!T out of it !

Mini-hummers, eh? They sound pretty articulate and that guitar probably Growls pretty good, NICE ONE !!! The P-90 idea would have my attention as it sounds like you were going to do some work on it, yes?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  17. SnookBone

SnookBone New Member

Finished the cleaning stage. There is some really nice rosewood under the 40 years of spew. Seems it also formed a nice protective coating over the lacquer for all these years. The art work held up to a gentle polish and was finished with a few coats of wax. Cut version one of the new pickguard. I like the shape, color not as much. I have a sheet of single ply gloss black on order and I think that will be just about right. Fixed the broken mounting tab on the lead pup and began to put her back together.

fret board1.jpg back finish 1.jpg sg finish1.jpg busted pup.jpg fixed pup.jpg SG Guard 1.jpg

Go Nigel Go and SGBreadfan like this.
  18. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

my ocd says... why isn't that half guard actually half / down the center? :p

or maybe a full body guard... kinda like the godin radiator...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  19. PermissionToLand

I thought the guard was gonna have a horn at the bottom like you drew on the paper? I think that would look cool. In any case, it will certainly be more subtle in black.

20. SnookBone

SnookBone New Member

Arrived at the final version of the pickguard. It's hard to get a good photo, but the gloss black single ply is a match for the lacquer. I kept with a two piece guard, just felt right for the guitar. Sticking with simple 50's wiring, one vol, one tone , and a toggle in the factory locations. Next step is to address the nut and frets. The nut is cut too close to the edge on the high E and the first position frets need to be replaced. Have not decided on a full or partial refret yet. After the refret, i'll refinish the neck. Anyone know where to find the shag material Gibson used to line the inside of there cases?

Final guard 1.jpg final guard 3.jpg Final guard 2.jpg