Help with short Vibrola (on a V)

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Ozone7, May 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

I just discovered something. If you look at the pic of the long Vibrola I just posted you see that the part where it screws to the body is shorter to accommodate for the trapeze and if you look at the one posted by Angel you see that the same part extends to the full width, as does mine btw. Yours is like the former. So something's rotten in the kingdom of Denmark...

2. Ozone7

Ozone7 New Member

Oh yeah. See what you mean. How weird.
    Maybe it's half a long vibrola? Don't know what the result of that would be as I've not been boning up on the long version..

3. Von Trapp

I'm thinking perhaps it has the angle of a long Vibrola since it could be a converted one. Could also be a converted Epi long one because I seem to remember that the trapeze on those isn't actually welded to the Vibrola itself.

Anyway, I think it's time I do some measurements on mine so you have something to compare to.

4. Ozone7

Ozone7 New Member

Right. So if it's a 10 degree converted long vibrola, that would explain the way the claw is sitting.

Thanks for all the engagement Von Trapp.

5. Von Trapp

NP. (just theories though)

6. Von Trapp

Ok, so the front of the comb is 15mm high and the back 14. When decked, the back is 15 as well. (approx) Sorry for the bad pic but I was too lazy to take a new one. IMG_20200501_130953.jpg

Also, I checked the high E-string and it goes from E to slightly below B when the trem is fully decked. (thus more than I said before, sorry)

7. Jennings

Jennings New Member

I find a lot of the modern Vibrolas from most makers have a spring shape that is at a less acute angle to what the original units had. This is what makes them sit flatter, and thus the arm also is at a more shallow angle. I’ve had some success with crudely bending them by force in a vice, but I’ve snapped a few too. You can also angle them by placing a small shim under the front, but not under the back where the screws are. Trouble is on flat top guitars that often means your break angle over the bridge is too shallow then. Long and the short (pun intended!) is that there’s a bit of initial fettling required on a case by case basis, but once you’ve got it sort then they’re a great look and feel on a guitar.

8. Lynurd Fireburd

Lynurd Fireburd Active Member

I've never heard of the Vibrolas coming with different degrees of angles on the "flange".

I have 2. 1 aftermarket ebay purchase & 1 came on an inexpensive IYV. The IYV had the same poor angle as the OP's & so I swapped it with the spare. Perfect. I think this is just poor tolerances in manufacturing than any planned angle. If you search within you'll see this discussed. I have a thread on the IYV with plenty of images.

I've seen mentioned/images of Gibsons even having this which makes me question where theirs are being sourced.

9. Von Trapp

I can't tell if you're just reacting like "Oh, fancy that, I didn't know" or if you're questioning whether there are different angles or not but if it's the latter then I can report that it's a fact, confirmed by Gibson.

10. Ozone7

Ozone7 New Member

Hey Von Trapp, just an update: I decided to get a crazyparts vibrola and get the saddles properly notched. Then we'll see how it goes.
    I am also getting the cavities shielded and the scratchplate de-warped.
    Fingers crossed. Thanks for your input.

11. Von Trapp

Always nice to get an update, thanks. Looking forward to see if this works then!

12. Ozone7

Ozone7 New Member

Hey.
    The new vibrola is fitted and, sure enough, the break angle is much better.
    The low E is still easy to move over the saddle, but it stays on even with heavy playing.
    It's not massively quiet still, even with the cavity shielded and the controls actually grounded (!!), but I think that's the Seth Lovers. IMG_7970.JPG IMG_7972.JPG

Biddlin and cerebral gasket like this.
  13. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Nice pup combo in the SG Classic.
    The greenie keystone tuners look great too.
    P-90 at the neck for cleans and a humbucker at the bridge for hi gain.
    That's how you do it.

I went with stacked coils at the bridge to keep it stock looking.

[​IMG]

14. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

"Help with short Vibrola (on a V)"

My son, the consulting forensic psychologist, just read the thread's title over my shoulder and is doubled over in laughter.

15. Ozone7

Ozone7 New Member

Sweet. What’s the humbucker?
    I’ve got a Kinman P90 and a TV Jones Classic for a “Mangus” tone.
    Well, it was that or a PAF in a Gretsch.
    And is that the (v rare) flat Ebony or the trans like mine?

Biddlin, is that a medical in-joke?

16. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Kinman Nasty 90 Heavy at the bridge.
    Stock P-90 at the neck.
    Solid ebony finish. (2004)

17. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

What can I say, he deals with a lot of folks with self esteem issues.:naughty:

18. Von Trapp

Aaah, look at that beautiful back angle! Really glad to hear the flyer works better now. Great color, vibrola - what can stop you now? Congrats!

19. Ozone7

Ozone7 New Member

Yeah. Looks much more healthy doesn’t it?
    The arm is a little high for the kind of subtle use that I like, so that may require some thought. The old arm is shorter and flatter so that could work, but I’m nervous of swapping it in as the new one moves back and forth well. Don’t want to mess up the fixing of the screw.
    Also - even with shielding and a new ground connection, it still hums when it’s facing anything giving off EMI like a screen or my Axe Fx.
    I’ll have to check how well it’s been done but that may the price of having Seth Lovers which are unpotted.
    (Hoping Seth Lovers doesn’t set Biddlin’s son off again....)
    I’m a lot happier though.

20. Von Trapp

Great. I think as long as the part of the arm that's in between the washers is the same size on both there should be no risk in changing to the old arm. It's the plastic washers that do the trick, not the screw. Pickups is a bit more complicated but if you have another pair then switch to them and see if the problem still exists.