Hey, there.

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by johnmfer, Dec 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnmfer

johnmfer Guest

Hi, just thought I'd register and say howdy from Arizona, USA.

I don't own a SG, but I am shopping for one. Specifically I've been looking at the SG Standard. I like the neck to body joint better, looks sturdier. Also, the necks are pretty beefy, and I'm a beefy neck kind of guy. I've always liked SGs and have considered buying one several times in the past, only to pass on it and go with something else. Well, no more. I've decided my next guitar will be a SG. It may not work out for me, like so many guitars over the last several years, but I'm willing to take the risk. Looking to break my inseparable tether to my Warmoth Jazzmaster and get some variety to spice up my guitar playing life.

2. EveryMn

EveryMn Active Member

Howdy from the OC, and welcome to ETSG. :D

3. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

WELCOME!~

4. mwm523

mwm523 Member

Howdy johnmfer,

I got the standard for the same reasons you mention, sturdier neck joint and beefy neck. I used to own a '61 reissue, and the standard feels more comfortable to me. Mine will be under the Christmas Tree Monday morning...

Plus it's the only one they offer in Natural Burst!

[​IMG]

5. NeoConMan

NeoConMan New Member

Hey there!
    Welcome aboard from a fellow new guy. Caught my attention with the Arizona reference. I'm on a crusade to let everybody know that in Phoenix the ONLY place for good quality gear at a fair price is Bizarre Guitar. I usually go to G.C. for accessories that I don't mail order and play the hell out of all their guitars and amps to decide what I want.
    Then I go to the adult owned and operated guitar shop to buy my gear.
    Wait, you live in Phoenix. You already know all this. :-)

Okay, seriously, you probably already know that beefy and '61 reissue are mutually exclusive. I like super skinny so that's what I got. Cool Standards are plentiful. Sounds like you're on the right track.
    Be cool.

6. johnmfer

johnmfer Guest

Wow, thanks everyone!

mwm523 - I posted that stuff about the Standard because I wanted to make sure I was on the right track with the beefy neck thing. So, thank you for confirming that for me! I'm strongly considering ordering a white Standard from Music 123, except I promised myself no more ordering guitars... it never seems to work out for me. In fact just this year I ordered a G&L ASAT classic, and when it turned out not to be what I was after, I took a $500 hit reselling it.

NeoConMan, I haven't been to Bizarre in a while but I do like that shop. I live in South Phoenix so it's not too far, but GC Tempe is much much closer and I tend to go there for the little stuff (not the big stuff). Rainbow guitars is my shop of choice and whenever I'm in Tucson I try to stop there for a little bit and poke around.

7. NeoConMan

NeoConMan New Member

Hey John,
    Yeah, GC Tempe has cool gear but it's like swimming with sharks at a used-car-salesman convention. Scottsdale GC has nicer stuff (upscale) but the same rules apply.
    You can get a deal there, but it just isn't worth the hassles. A friend told me you always get screwed at GC or a car dealer, it's up to you to determine how bad.

See Mike at Bizarre. Tell him Dave sent you. It might help.

No, seriously, he is a wealth of knowledge and knows all the stupid tricks the competition uses. If he's busy, just wait and hang out a little. The other guys working for him are cool too. Bob is the owner if you can catch him. He's always busy and lets Mike run the show.
    They will smoke any mail order price you can come up with and they will take care of you after the sale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.