Hi everyone, Im new and wanted to say Hello to you all.

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by dagenhamjim, Jan 21, 2007.

1. dagenhamjim

dagenhamjim New Member

First a big hello to you all 0n the forum, then a confession. Here goes, at first I was,nt an SG Man and was the proud owner of an fender tele, but to fund my divorce I had to sell it. Was missing my Guitar like crazy but could only afford a Squier or a cheap copy. A mate of a mate was selling his Epiphone G400 and I reluctantly bought it, and wow am I glad i did. It looks and sounds perfect, so much that I am seriously thinking of buying a brand new Gibson SG and wanted to know what the difference in sound and quality between the SG standard Heritage cherry c/w hard case priced at £800.00 ($1578.00) and the more affordable SG special in wine Red c/w gig bag prices at £590.00 ($1164.00). Your comments and advice would be appreciated.
    Jim

2. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Active Member

Hi Jim, Glad you found us, I am a regular visitor at The Tele Forum. You will notice that we are perhaps a little bit more MAD....Well I can only speak for myself and about 60% of the Membership here!

Anyway......Great to see another "English Gentleman" in our midst, so just have a wander around the site and ENJOY.

Pip Pip
    Lexie ;)

3. Treadric

Treadric Member

Great BIG western Howdy there Jim...great to hear your diggin your AXE! And good to see YA! :)

4. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

Welcome Mr Jimmy!

All are welcome here!!

I've been known to hang out at the Tele forum too....

5. peterbright

peterbright Active Member

Welcome to the forum. What about a faded shipped from America. Even with the duty it should be much cheaper than your two options.

6. EveryMn

EveryMn Active Member

The difference between the Standard and Special is in the pickup covers and the neck. The Special has no binding and dot inaly and the fancier model has binding and trapezoid inlays.

Other than that they're mostly the same.

7. NeoConMan

NeoConMan New Member

Hey there, Jim!
    Welcome aboard from abroad!

Another divorce casualty for the statistics, my chalkboard is just about full! :tickedoff:
    Some of us discussed this recently, we should form a topic and group support area within the SG forum for those of us that lost our guitars to the whims of a wayward wife!

Standard / Special?
    Primarily cosmetic differences, the standard has binding, inlays and colors the Special doesn't get, and the Standard has the 498 bridge pu instead of a 490.
    Special is a good, no frills SG with traditional gloss finish.
    You probably already know that, huh?

Playing differences are more subjective. Some of the smart guys will be along shortly to fill you in.

Be cool!

:-)
    Neo

8. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

[quote author=vic108 link=topic=12166.msg159029#msg159029 date=1169389498]
    Welcome Mr Jimmy!

All are welcome here!!

I've been known to hang out at the Tele forum too....
    [/quote]

traitor

9. Wags

Wags New Member

Sorry I'm a bit late in my welcome.....but welcome to ETSG and hope you enjoy yourself!

10. Strange Brew

Strange Brew Well-Known Member

Welcome Jim - from the Hampshire coast

Another big Tele fan here O0

Enjoy!

11. SheppardsLegion

SheppardsLegion Member

Welcome... You know there is just something about a standard.... I've tried many guitars and this one just felt right for me. Good luck on finding an instrument that feels like an old friend. Cheers Shepp...

[img width=640 height=480]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p80/sheppardslegion/IMG_0223.jpg[/img]

[img width=360 height=480]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p80/sheppardslegion/IMG_0225.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=480]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p80/sheppardslegion/IMG_0228.jpg[/img]

[img width=360 height=480]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p80/sheppardslegion/IMG_0226.jpg[/img]