Hi from Twickenham UK

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Rob Millis, May 1, 2021.

1. Rob Millis

Rob Millis New Member

Hi all, just registered. I'm a semi-pro musician (i.e. I've got a job!) who learned guitar first from my early teens but switched to Hammond organ in my late teens after finding nobody else stupid enough to do it! Since then Hammond, Wurly electric piano and bass guitar have been my gigging instruments mainly and I'm honoured to have played with Micky Moody and Dave Kelly among others.

I've returned to guitar a lot more since trying to escape the notorious 'pub blues' gravy train and do something original. My great loves are The Beatles, San Francisco acid Rock and then the rootsy end of 70s rock: The Band, Little Feat etc.

My fondness for the SG came from the San Francsico bands where seemingly everybody played one at least for a bit. Via John Cipollina, this led me to follow (back on the home side of the pond) the Welsh band Man, wherein the late and unsurpassed Micky Jones was a prominent SG player. As a keyboard player I've been privileged to play organ in both recent incarnations of the main band and a spin off behind their Malcolm Morley. I am also delighted that James Beck, a good friend and fine guitarist who replaced (in a roundabout way) Micky, is one of the guitarists in my originals project.

Registered because I just bought and tweaked an Epiphone '61 Special anniversary model in TV yellow but I've been loitering as a casual guest browsing this excellent forum for years.

IMG_5210 copy.JPG IMG_5209 copy.JPG

2. DJGranite

DJGranite Member

Welcome

3. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Active Member

Nice Epiphone! I'm sure you will enjoy it for years to come. Love the sound of a Hammond here too but never had one myself, just some "pale immitations" on a midi keyboard that lack a lot of the flexibility and subtle nuances of the real thing.

4. Rob Millis

Rob Millis New Member

The 'pale imitations' are getting bloody good! I 'joined the dark side' and have been playing a Nord C2D for a few years now. Still got my old A100 but it's in the balance; it's at that awkward period where it has a few very minor faults, but to get them all fixed would clock up a bill.

Get yourself a Neo Ventilator pedal if you really want to bring a sampled/approximated Hammond sound to life, by the way - they are so good I don't miss my Leslie anymore!

5. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Well-Known Member

Welcome! You are from the home of Twickenham Studios, eh?

Bob

6. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Active Member

Good to know, I have had my basic midi keyboard for about 25 years now but it hasn't gotten any better...:lol: I am not a great keyboardist, but I enjoy noodling a bit from time to time. I may look at a more modern (and more "pro level") upgrade when I get my new recording/rehearsal space finished. I have also considered getting the real deal, I have seen some pretty killer deals on big old Hammond and Wurlitzer consoles on the used market from heirs looking to unload their "boat anchors". Not very useful on the road, but they might work great in the studio. It's a "no go" at the moment though, lacking the space is what makes the big old wood cabinet models so cheap in the first place.

One thing I have learned in 40 plus years of playing music is that there is no such thing as too many options when it comes to instruments. Most anything capable of making a noise can be useful given the right circumstances and some creative judgment! :thumb:

7. Rob Millis

Rob Millis New Member

Yes Bob, long since closed though. But I sometimes drink in the Turk's Head pub sitting at a table where Ringo was playing darts in A Hard Day's Night. Also in Twickenham on the Thames is Eel Pie Island, once the site of a hotel that the bar was a noted 60s club where the Stones/Yardbirds etc would often perform.