Hi! New here and Maple neck?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Greezy strings, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Greezy strings

Greezy strings Member

IMG_8824.JPG IMG_8827.JPG IMG_8832.JPG hi all! New member longtime sg lover.. 1st electric was a Sg in 1981

Have had my 91 special for about 20 years now.. I painted it a while back and am now completely stripping it and re painting as well as maybe new pickguard and new bridge.

1. I never new mine had a maple neck?!

2. Don't have a lotta cash for a faber bridge.. so.. any thoughts , opinions on a mojotone Abr-1 without the wire?

Here are some pics.

Demon Dave and DanB like this.
  2. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

probably a transition model between 90 / 91?
    is the fretboard ebony?

3. Greezy strings

Greezy strings Member

I believe it is. Very dark.

4. everdying

ya, so its probably one of those transition models...as they made them with ebony boards and maple necks from 86-91...of cos those had a diff control layout...
    so they probably had a few necks leftover and used them on the more modern layout.

Greezy strings likes this.
  5. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board! :smile:

6. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Cool project. Keep us updated with progress pics.

7. Greezy strings

Greezy strings Member

That's cool info! Thanks for that! Are maple neck sg's liked or disliked by sg seekers and players?

8. Greezy strings

Greezy strings Member

Thanks!!

9. Greezy strings

Greezy strings Member

Thanks !!! Just tried posting a pic from my phone of the progress but says file is too large.. I'll try again

10. everdying

depends what u like? some say the maple neck and rosewood board combo sounds similar to a maho neck and ebony board.
    for me i dont mind, my 75 standard has a maple neck and ebony board...and i had a 2013 SGJ which of cos had a maple neck.
    i think the only maple ppl didnt like are the baked maple fretboards :p

11. Greezy strings

Greezy strings Member

El

Attached Files:

Mattyc likes this.
  12. catstudioguitars

catstudioguitars Member

Love the maple neck on my 77 les paul custom and 2013 SGJ

13. jtees4

jtees4 Well-Known Member

I have had more than one maple neck SG, they used it on a a few different models and years. Personally....I think they're great because your neck is stiffer than mahogany, you can't use your neck as a whammy so easily with maple.

14. James Green

James Green New Member

Very cool, I love projects. Maple is a great wood for guitars and necks. 3669243d-9ad0-4c49-b588-4cef8784c497.jpg

Greezy strings, Mattyc and Demon Dave like this.
  15. Robert Nunn

Robert Nunn Member

My 2019 tribute has a maple neck. Like it very much.

16. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Greezy Strings wrote: "Are maple neck sg's liked or disliked by sg seekers and players?"

I own an '07 SG faded special and a 2012 SG special '70s tribute.

The faded special is more traditional, being hog body and hog neck, rosewood fretboard.
    That one SG is the best guitar of any kind I have ever played, which is saying a lot.
    Everything seemed to come together right in that instrument... plus I've modded it with
    all the best of everything I could buy or make. But it was superb stock, and it's a bit more
    superb now. I bought it in '08, and it's twelve years later and she's still the Queen of my
    music room. I named her Luna.
    Luna 10-31-20@100.jpg
    Here's Luna, the Traddie SG in all her glory... still my pride and joy after all this time.

With that said, the foremost handmaiden to the Queen is my 2012 SG special...
    This model didn't sell well in 2012 because there were just too many innovations for the closed minded
    guitarist. Maple Neck, baked maple fretboard, new design Mini hum buckers with blade sensors,
    oversize '70s style headstock with volute, small rectangle '70s style inlays...

The reaction here on ETSG was like WTF GIBSON!... get outa here!
    But slowly... guys who bought one generally reported how fine they were.
    Guys who owned or remembered the '70s instruments with mini hum buckers were miffed
    because the new model didn't sound like the old ones... as if they ever do.
    The model was discontinued due to lack of interest and lack of sales after one year.

But I wanted one as soon as I saw it. The look charmed me, with the unusual inlays and the Silverburst,
    The mini hum buckers intrigued me, because I'm a Johnny Winter fan, and have seen him play a number
    of mini armed instruments. I was curious about the maple neck, but being a Fender bass player I had
    no prejudices against it. Maple necks work great, and render great tone. Everyone knows this.
    I watched Gibson as they marked them down and down and finally pounced when they were nearly gone.

Anyway, it's seven years since I bought my '70s tribute SG special and I'm more and more fond of this
    instrument. It's tone is totally unique of course, which is exactly what I wanted. Gibson re-issued these in
    like 2016, with a rosewood fretboard but otherwise the same as mine. And they sell fine now. The model is
    still available. I would highly recommend it. Mine is the only year that Gibson ever used the baked maple.
    But mine has given great service for seven years. it's hard and smooth and adds to the totally unique tone
    of my SG special, so it adds to my music. Anyone who wants to say negative things about the baked maple
    is just blowing smoke.
    Catalina 10-31-20@100.jpg

17. budg

budg New Member

My 20 Gibson LP Tribute has one . No problem with it. Less likely to snap off the headstock I suppose.