HI this is my SG

Nalgaitas

Reaction score
SG-I wine red

I replaced the stock 500T with a StewMac golden age
I paid $395 when i bought it new in 1998 with a hard case
I had two other SGs but I kept this one because it has a thick neck with a strong neck joint, no neck dive, and it doesn't wobble out of tune.
IMG_3407 copy (1).jpg

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
Nice one!
I had one that was modified with a Burstbucker 2.
The toggle switch was removed and a Junior pickguard covers the hole.
Original tuners.
It was also refinished before I got it and not a pro job. It might have looked like yours before.
I sold it to a friend and it still gets played a lot. It looks a little funky but it rips.
F9B7782D-12B1-4DFB-A91D-8E753CA20B6D.jpeg

Last edited:

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
SG-I wine red

I had two other SGs but I kept this one because it has a thick neck with a strong neck joint, no neck dive, and it doesn't wobble out of tune.
Do you still have the receipt? That's a good deal, considering the MSRP was $669, that's 40% off.

Nine WhitePony

Reaction score
SG-I wine red

View attachment 47644
Is it common for SGs to wobble out of tune? When I first got my SG i had tuning issues. I would tune it perfectly, open strum sounded good, scales sounded right, play a chord it sounded out of tune, except it was still actually in tune. I couldn't figure it out. Everything seemed to be in tune, but chords never sounded right. Then I solved the mystery. The frets were deeper on my SG than I was used to. I never realized before that I actually press really hard on my strings when I play, so while playing my chords, everywhere I pressed would turn those note slightly sharp and the open strings would still be in tune. Mystery solved. My solution to this problem was not to play lighter, i mean i play the way i play and i ain't about to change the way I've been doing things for 30 years. I just installed heavier gage strings, now that problem has mostly vanished. The great thing that i love about SGs is that strings seem to bend easier on them than on other guitars , (or at least it seems that way to me) so the heavier gage string was virtually un noticeable . And being that they're a heavier gage string, the sound sounds a little fatter.

Nalgaitas

Reaction score
Is it common for SGs to wobble out of tune? When I first got my SG i had tuning issues. I would tune it perfectly, open strum sounded good, scales sounded right, play a chord it sounded out of tune, except it was still actually in tune. I couldn't figure it out. Everything seemed to be in tune, but chords never sounded right. Then I solved the mystery. The frets were deeper on my SG than I was used to. I never realized before that I actually press really hard on my strings when I play, so while playing my chords, everywhere I pressed would turn those note slightly sharp and the open strings would still be in tune. Mystery solved. My solution to this problem was not to play lighter, i mean i play the way i play and i ain't about to change the way I've been doing things for 30 years. I just installed heavier gage strings, now that problem has mostly vanished. The great thing that i love about SGs is that strings seem to bend easier on them than on other guitars , (or at least it seems that way to me) so the heavier gage string was virtually un noticeable . And being that they're a heavier gage string, the sound sounds a little fatter.
Well for me it was more that my other SG the neck felt like it wasn't attached firmly to the body. If I gripped the neck too hard I could make it bend like I was using a tremelo bar, which bothered me. With this one, it's like a Les Paul, the neck isn't going anywhere.

Hector

Reaction score
Well for me it was more that my other SG the neck felt like it wasn't attached firmly to the body. If I gripped the neck too hard I could make it bend like I was using a tremelo bar, which bothered me. With this one, it's like a Les Paul, the neck isn't going anywhere.

The "neck bend" is pretty standard for SGs (and other guitars), it is something people do in the guitar shops when playing them "because it is cool", I have even seen artists do it on stage. It is not good for the guitar. You can usually tell one that has been "bent" by the cracks in the nitro at the joint where the heal of the neck joins the body.

How hard are you gripping the neck? I only ask as I am quite strong with large hands and never manage to bend the necks on my SGs...

More info here: https://www.everythingsg.com/thread...on-your-sg-like-a-poor-mans-whammy-bar.36482/

everdying

Reaction score
i remember seeing the all-american series in the musicians friend catalog back in 95/96...if memory serves me right they were around $399...
only a little higher than the epi g-400 which was around $369...

MR D

Reaction score

Do you mean "TALLER" ?

The NUT Slots heights may be off, check the height of the string action at the 1st fret.....and/OR.....

Do the ol' 'TAP TEST': Capo the 3rd fret, all of the strings should clear the 1st fret by a C-Hair...if they are too high, notes/chords will RING Sharp....if the strings are too low (Touching the 1str fret) the notes will RING Flat....

papagayo

Reaction score
Great SG and nice finish, is it a Gibson SG1 or a Gibson All American?

Temp 47940.JPG

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score

Nalgaitas another thing you can check is intonation. I posted a clip on part 3 of a setup but I can post clips 1-2 and 4 as well and you can follow any extra ones after 4 if there are any. Good luck.​

Knucklehead71

Reaction score
SG-I wine red

View attachment 47644
Nice to see another SG-1 owner!!

Here's my SG-1 and SG-X. Yes they both have an added neck pickup. I've had a problem owning various SGs that I didn't get along with for various reasons, one of the worst being uncomfortable neck dive. Neither of these two guitars has neck dive. In fact they are more identical than any two guitars I've ever played. They are both fairly "worn-in" and feel fantastic. Some folks may be familiar with the SG-X and may be wondering why mine looks like an SG-1 since most SG-Xs are bright colors and have a pickguard.
From what I've guessed/deduced etc., mine is a transition model. I believe Gibson pumped out a couple dozen of the remaining SG-1s with the SG-X truss rod cover before switching to the bright colors and pickguards. If anyone knows anything different, I'd love to hear it.

elPCpag.jpeg

everdying

Reaction score
the SG-X with the bright colors were the sought after (after being discontinued as usual) Caribbean series.

i do remember back then the SG-X being offered in pretty muted colors... like dark brown...some olive like green...and of cos black.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score

You can bend a Les Paul neck, too. Slash likes to do it and once snapped a neck on his LP doing so. Every guitar has flex in the neck. Well, except steel guitars.

Here's my SG-1 and SG-X. Yes they both have an added neck pickup. I've had a problem owning various SGs that I didn't get along with for various reasons, one of the worst being uncomfortable neck dive. Neither of these two guitars has neck dive. In fact they are more identical than any two guitars I've ever played. They are both fairly "worn-in" and feel fantastic. Some folks may be familiar with the SG-X and may be wondering why mine looks like an SG-1 since most SG-Xs are bright colors and have a pickguard.
From what I've guessed/deduced etc., mine is a transition model. I believe Gibson pumped out a couple dozen of the remaining SG-1s with the SG-X truss rod cover before switching to the bright colors and pickguards. If anyone knows anything different, I'd love to hear it.

elPCpag.jpeg

You're thinking of the Summer Beach Series, which was sold alongside the regular SG-Xs like yours. The pickguard wasn't added until the year after it was re-named. More info here:

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score

Kncuklehead, I can't place it, can't put my finger on it, but there is just a little something ...

1987 3 knob SG.jpg

HAHA,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Igonuts

Reaction score
I have an epi standard faded 2018 maybe (forgot when), with a neck so flimsy, normal playing, if you add any pressure from the rt forearm whilst playing, it buzzes. Everywhere. The gibby is solid. I did take to pushing on the head stock in some instances. But being the '61 joined at the 22nd fret, i'm shying away from that practice. Just because of what PTL said bout Slash in another thread. Aways bent the sh*t outta my '74 20th aniv LP custom in the day. Never showed any stress on the finish. Never lost tune either.
I truly hate the epi thou. Flimsy neck...... i never play it.

Attachments

• 20211206_222816.jpg
    20211206_222816.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts