High School.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Logan, May 17, 2017.

1. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Beyond "It's complicated"? :cool:

2. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

I've kept my Social Media usage to an absolute minimum. Can't tell you how much better is it when you don't have to walk around with your phone out recording for Snapchat. I like to keep it in the moment

rotorhead and Raiyn like this.
  3. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Active Member

i remember school fondly. studying was a drag, but hey, it was easy..

we played pool, rugby, football and jammed all the time. what was not to love. and, girls just wanted to make out.. much cooler than having to grind out in a corporate..

4. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

My high school years were some of the best years of my life. I played in a cool band (at least we thought so ourselves!), I had good friends (I still do, mind you), and even though we had to sit tests and got grades, and had oral and written exams at the end of each year, it was a time of freedom and all in all quite a care-free excistence. We lived for the moment, housing and food was free (provided you still lived with your parents), responsibilities were few and none of our stupid behavior really had any concequences.

A few days ago, Per Fuggelli, a doctor and very prominent public figure here in Norway passed away. He was a very wise man who spoke a lot about how to live a happy life. He had two pieces of advice that were particularly important:

1: Don't just focus on your individuality, take care of your herd (or tribe, the translation of his expression is a bit tricky).

2: Worry less. Sometimes it is very healthy not to give a f**k. Provided it doesn't really hurt anyone.

Focus on the reponsibilities that matter. Never mind your ex-girlfriend. Treat her nicely, but let bygones be bygones.

You are young, don't waste your time on worrying. Be nice and play yer guitar. Have fun. You'll get by anyway. When your time comes, it is far worse regretting the things you didn't do than the things you did.

grausch likes this.
  5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

The good doctor seems quite Dudely.

deMelo likes this.
  6. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

He was a good man indeed. His field of expertise was social medicine, and he had a lot of important messages. A lot of the things he said were really simple, but they were important nontheless. I believe a good life requires a certain focus, and finding the right focus is something everyone should strive for.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  7. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

Oh God. I just read this thread for the first time and man...

It must be such a cool thing to grow up in the US, where gigging with Gibsons and Fenders is something casual as we see in those pics.

Having grown up in the late 70s/early 80s in Latin America, to me it was like an impossible dream. We played whatever we had available, which consisted mostly in knockoffs and cheapo crap pieces of wood and plywood with 6 pieces of wire on them. American guitars were a luxury most of us couldn't afford (I mean as teenagers, I wasn't exactly poor but my parents would NEVER buy me a Fender. They would never buy me an electric guitar to begin with but that's another story).

I'm almost a geezer right now and I still catch myself from time to time looking at pictures of my gigs and feeling astonished about having played lots of gigs, and being on the road with a real rock band, my instruments being US made Fender and Gibson guitars.

Anyway, attaboy, Logan.

Your OP made me want to post this for you;

8. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Bringing this thread back.
    It was so hard getting to the point I am at now. They were a luxury for me until recently when I got a job at a music store. All my guitars had been imports (granted still fenders and Epis) that I modded them within an inch of their lives. The only USA guitar I had I got from allowances from my family and from money from odd jobs I did. It was my SG and every year that goes by I have with her she just gets angrier :D
    I'm thankful for all of the kind words. I feel the same way looking back on my gigs. It's astonishing thinking I've played where I've played.

Anyway, here to what I came to post about.

So we have 2 more parades this year, and I'm not looking forward to them. I feel like crap as it is right now, and I've got a cold that brings me to my knees coughing. And then my section leader decides it would be a great idea to switch everyone's bits on our Sousaphones because he wants everything "to match (match by brand, not by what works and has worked)".
    :wtf:

My friend (and the only person who I can seem to have interested in making a band besides my new girlfriend, but I'm not doing that again), he was making fun of my section leader because he screwed up one of the girls in our section's bits so she couldn't use her Sousaphone (because she's super short) and I was trying to tell him the story of why you shouldn't change stuff unnecessary because it could cause problems. I was going to use changing the bushings on my strat as an example, but he didn't want to hear it. All around a fun time.
    :mad:

Then today, my new girlfriend came to our church and I let her play my SG during some downtime. She really liked it, but the funniest part about her playing it was my ex never got to play it, and she came up to her and said probably 5 times that she was surprised that my new girlfriend was allowed to play it. I never trusted her, because even while we were dating she manipulated me to get what she wanted, and as a result I never trusted her with any of my possessions. That made both me and my girlfriend laugh, because I she just acted like a complete jerk when we weren't even talking to her.
    :rofl::rofl: :rofl:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017