Holy Crap! A 4 foot Cottonmouth!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Tobacco Worm, May 18, 2014.

1. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Today was one of those days when I was real tired and run down. So around 3PM I look out the back window and see one of my outside babies, Miss Sugars, a sweet little girl that stays outside by her choice, close to the house. But what caused my heart to jump was the large snake coiled right in front of her!:wow:

I grab my .22 Single Action revolver and out the door I go at a pretty good pace for an old man with a bad heart.... I call out to my little girl to get out of the way, and shot this snake twice in the head with .22LR shotshell loads. It's still moving, and I mean still very much alive and pissed off! The cat is clear, and the last three rounds that followed were .22L CB loads. Basically reduced velocity loads, but still I hit this thing three times in the head with solid rounds before it died! :ohno:

This snake was a cottonmouth, and for those that don't know, it's an aggressive poisonous snake that is not one that folks wanna play with. They're nasty things that can kill ya! I've seen them chase people down trails and such.

[​IMG]

This nasty S.O.B. was 4 feet long and was less than 10 feet from my house and in plain sight. I don't know what it was after, but I know that next time I'll forgo the puny .22 and get the heavy artillery! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now who would want a nice kitty like this go get bit by one of those ugly nasty evil snakes? And I HATE snakes too! I'll shoot on sight any snake that comes into view, but cottonmouths? They're gonna get blasted bigtime! I'll use my .44Mag next time (and I hope there's no next time, but you see one, expect another) And I didn't need that spike in the blood pressure with this either! Took me twenty full minutes to calm down... Damn snakes! Guess the scorpions will be inside after me and my inside babies next!:ohno: "Girls, keep a sharp lookout for varmints! Pop will be ready."

[​IMG]

Alex_SG and alans sg like this.
  2. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

Good on ya! I'm not a fan of killing things for no reason but that bad boy gave you a reason! Glad to hear all is well again in Bedrock!
    That's a fine looking kitty by the way. I hope she was appreciative!

3. Rusty Chops

Rusty Chops Well-Known Member

Nice shootin' Tex!

All on target. :applause:

We were at our lil' ol' range last Spring and my buddy went to get some target stands out and there was a baby rattler in the outdoor storage area. He tried dispatching with his North American mini-revolver, then came back and got his .45 because he missed several times with that tiny .22's sights (they ain't much for sights). I didn't rib him too much.:naughty: The 1911 only required one shot.

Tobacco Worm likes this.
  4. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Got snakes in northern Illinois but nothing poisinous like that. Not complaining either.

5. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Well-Known Member

We've got them around here too. I agree, those things have a very nasty disposition. They're always pissed off. Being a country boy, I've caught plenty of snakes by hand. My Dad showed us how to do it when we were young. Chicken snakes, king snakes and such. I even snatched up a rattlesnake one time, which was incredibly stupid, but I was a teenager. As far as cottonmouths go, I don't get anywhere near those damn things! Mess around in the woods and get bit by one, you might not make it back to the house!

Tobacco Worm and iblive like this.
  6. Tobacco Worm

I knew it was a cottonmouth even before I got close as I could smell it. Folks up north may not know it but the cottonmouth gives off an odor similar to a skunk. Real pungent stink. I just hope it wasn't up under the house mating with another! I'm sittin' here in the house and I swear I can still smell that thing! Eeeeeeww! :ohno:

Yup, and I put five for five all in the head with my little pea-shooter but it didn't want to die too easy either. I loaded my .22 pistol with two snakeshot and then 3 solid loads. Never thought that I'd need ALL FIVE to kill one snake! No more poppin' with the little gun now. If not the .44, maybe I'll just use my trusty old Remington 870 and blast it to pieces. Nothing says "I love to kill things" like a pump shotgun!:naughty:

Been having tons or rain last couple of weeks and the creek behind the place (about 120 yards from the house) is dry most of the time, but with lots of rain it runs for a while. Guess this thing may have come up from there? Been here for about 5 years now and only seen (and blasted) copperheads. About one or two a year. But never a cottonmouth. That's a first on this place for me. I watch my step pretty well for copperheads but now I gotta be twice as cautious! What's next? Alligators?:dunno: Got some of them in the local lakes... Come to think of it, the creek bed behind me is a tributary to a larger creek about half a mile away called Alligator Creek.And it's said to be aptly named.:hmm:

Standby, incoming message...........

[​IMG] Gunny says: "Lock and load troop! Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out!"

Message received. [​IMG]

Alex_SG, eS.G. and Rusty Chops like this.
  7. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Damn water moccasins...I'm not particularly down on snakes but this is a nasty mean ill-tempered creature....like you say, always pissed off, and unlike the rattler, which will both warn you and try to get away, these guys are aggressive and like Wade says, will chase you and their only warning is the smell - which is less in the water.

Even and especially in the water, as they are the only semi-aqautic viper. Louisiana was crawling with the beasts. You had to be careful when you were fishing and crabbing and such. The extra water must have brought them around after all the rains, as they are never far from water. You'd need a lot more water for alligators.

Nice shooting.

8. alans sg

alans sg Well-Known Member

Well saved Wade :thumb: , even outside kitties need to be looked after , and she's a lovely looking cat , cheers
    Alan

9. Tobacco Worm

Yes Miss Sugars is a real gem. She hangs out with the dogs and they all have a great time of it. A real sweetheart of a cat. So seeing her a foot away from this nasty snake was enough to put me into overdrive.

Here at my place way out in the woods we got some nasty critters to be sure. We know of my battle with the snakes and scorpions, but the wild hogs are a real issue too. Some grow to 400 pounds and have tusks the size of your index finger! And they have attitude. My dogs will corner one and the fight is on until pop comes in with a weapon to even the odds.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    This boar was right at 325# and was a rough customer. Well, until he was introduced to the .45-70 lever action carbine that is. :naughty: Our state is now overrun with feral hogs that tear up everything in their path. There are so many that the state wildlife folks have declared them an epidemic. The pic on the right was taken from where I used to work. Those many dark things are hogs destroying a pasture. A poor cellphone pic from a vehicle, but it does give one a good idea of how they move in packs.

Yup, life in East Texas is a real hoot... well sorta anyway. :hmm:

10. alans sg

alans sg Well-Known Member

Hi Wade at least with the hogs you won't starve mate :thumb: i used to make a lovely italian wild boar stew , we used to get it at a farmers market , lovely stuff , if you want the recipe i'll look it out for you , cheers
    Alan

11. Rusty Chops

Rusty Chops Well-Known Member

:applause:

Oh yeah: 12ga pumps are IT!

In High School (East Coast) we did everything with shotguns (ducks, pheasants, deer, skeet, trap, etc), even rats at the dump with friends on Fri nites until we decided that wasn't very sporting and used .22's instead.

Used to strafe them rats plenty with a Ruger 10/22 I bought at age 16 in a hardware store for $69. Those were the days.

I had (and still have) a Wingmaster 870 with a plain (no rib) 28" modified choke barrel. I've done everything with it (except liquor stores: too big).

Ya gotta be quick on the clay pigeons for trap, but it'll really grind 'em up to powder on skeet!

Tobacco Worm likes this.
  12. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I had one of those get into my boat once on some lake near Texarkana. My idiot cousin, it don't matter which one, was about to shoot him, without regard for the fact we were in pretty deep and predator infested water. I flipped him, the cottonmouth, not my idiot cousin, out with my rod tip just in time. My cousin, a now respected member of his community and former city-councilman, can still be made to turn beet-red with," Hey, Quick draw!"
    ;>)/

[​IMG]
    Carnitas!

13. Tobacco Worm

Yup, life in the wild is just......um... well, WILD!:wow:

Rusty, my old 870 is a '66 Wingmaster in 20ga. A 28" plain and modified. Nice old gun that shoots like a house-a-fire! Best part being made on the earlier frame (12ga size) anything that fits a 12ga in accessories fits this one too. But I left it 100% stock and it's the one I take out at night when I hear something go BUMP! With a light attached to my head and this 870 in my mitts loaded with #3 buck I'm pretty much ready for anything that's out there.[​IMG]

Rusty Chops likes this.
  14. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Yeah, do you eat those big porkers?

15. Tobacco Worm

Lots of folks around here do the big smoked bar-b-que thing with them. Me, I don't eat them as I think they're just nasty. Must be a Lakota thing as we never had those things around up on the rez.

16. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

You might rethink this - the wild pigs I've eaten were delicious! I've had them with Mexicans, Hawaiians and Cajuns, and each had a different way of cooking them!

All tasted wonderful.

17. Tobacco Worm

I don't eat pork either. Must be a cultural block or something on my part. :dunno:

18. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I didn't know Lakota were Jewish...maybe Mel Brooks was right in that scene in Blazing Saddles where the Native Americans spoke Yiddish. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Maybe you could trade the pigmeat for some nice beef or venison next time you kill one.

BTW, butchering one is a pain in the ass as you well know.

Rusty Chops likes this.
  19. Tobacco Worm

Oie Vey kimosabe!:laugh2:

Naw, it's just that we raised some cattle to be sure, but hunted more often and pigs simply were not raised where I grew up at. Being a traditional Lakota, it's believed that only those things from nature are real and have power.

Long ago my great uncle was working on a ranch that had a huge monster bull with long pointed horns and was said to be so big that it was thought to be a mutant even by it's white owner. They had an old bull buffalo there that stayed in a pen and just milled about all day and the white ranchers thought that it would be fun to have their monster bull tear up the old buffalo. So they herded the two into a big working pen and watched for what they knew was going to be funny as the buffalo was torn to pieces by their monster bull. Bets were going and all the Lakota there bet on the buffalo. Odds were three to one and the big monster bull was the favorite for all the others there.

As the two animals stood at opposite ends of the large working pen the big monster bull was pawing at the dirt and snorting like a freight train. The buffalo stood chewing his cud and not doing much of anything. Then the monster bull charged the buffalo and it looked like it was going to plow right through the listless buffalo. As the distance closed the bull buffalo took two hops toward the charging monster and dropped his head with a slight twist and lunged into the big monster as it passed. The big monster bull made a few more feet and dropped to the ground dead. The entire right side of it had been torn open from shoulder to near flank by the bull buffalo hooking horn attack. The Lakota collected their winnings and the whites ate their monster later in the day.

We consider cattle to be man made and call their bulls "it" and not "he or him" as only the buffalo is from nature as intended and will always be called "he or him". The Lakota knew that real power is not in things man made but from nature. We'll eat cattle as they're raised on open prairie and pastures, but the pig is raised in mud and it's own filth. The pig is looked upon as being too much man made to us, and thus we don't eat it. As I said, it's a Lakota thing. :)

Shalom Kola' :naughty:

Rusty Chops and Biddlin like this.
  20. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

Well, I'm just a white anglo-saxon protestant Gentile. But, I gotta admit, it's hard to argue with that!

This is a great thread...we started with snakes, moved to pork chops, and now we're on steaks!

I can't wait to see what happens if Wade ever plugs a big diamond back.

By the way, Wade...I enjoyed your bull/buffalo story. Great stuff.