Home Studio Progress (with pics)

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Ne_buddy, May 18, 2008.

1. Ne_buddy

Ne_buddy Member

Got some vacation time and a bit of "blood money" from grading college entrance exams, so I decided to improve the studio. Haven't ever had a pair of decent monitors -- been using cans -- and went for low-end & decent: bought a pair of Mackie MR5's. Love 'em -- sound good to these ears. Having monitors makes recording licks fast and easy. Here are pix...

Workstation - New Mackies, Same Synths Since 1984!
    [​IMG]

Gits, etc. Note The Energy Dome & Dwindling Supply of Jameson's
    [​IMG]

BJr., Champ 600, Peavey PA
    [​IMG]

Ampeg V4 with B25 cab
    [​IMG]

Longview Workstation -- Mac G4, Digirack 002, Tube Preamp, Lacie External HD
    [​IMG]

2. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

Nice setup! I used to have a V-4.....Damn those things were LOUD!

3. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

nice and organized... yikes!

now i know what that looks like

4. TheOwl

TheOwl Member

[quote author=guitarweasel link=topic=16950.msg211885#msg211885 date=1211140612]
    Nice setup! I used to have a V-4.....Damn those things were LOUD!
    [/quote]

You ain't kiddin!! To think there was a time I lusted after a V-4, but of course the nasty reality of the thing weighing a ton dissuaded me.

To me, these amps were our answer to Hiwatt's, loud as hell and you had to push them pretty hard to get them to overdrive.

5. Ne_buddy

Ne_buddy Member

Thanks for the comments, guys.

I'm loving the V-4, especially because it stays put. That's one amp you don't really have to worry about growing legs. ;) I use it with the 2x15" cab for clean guitar parts and, of course, bass. I've never had the opportunity to play it through a 4x12, but would love to find a period-correct V-4 4x12 for it.

6. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

[quote author=Ne_buddy link=topic=16950.msg214193#msg214193 date=1214322904]
    Thanks for the comments, guys.

I'm loving the V-4, especially because it stays put. That's one amp you don't really have to worry about growing legs. ;) I use it with the 2x15" cab for clean guitar parts and, of course, bass. I've never had the opportunity to play it through a 4x12, but would love to find a period-correct V-4 4x12 for it.

[/quote]

The Owl is right about the V-4 being the American version of Hiwatt. I had the whole stack, that thing was ungodly loud, I eventually sold it and bought a Marshall stack..........it paled in comparison! I still see them once in a while on eekbay....they're fetching some hefty prices now, I think I paid $650.00 for mine brand new. :D

7. Ne_buddy

Ne_buddy Member

[quote author=guitarweasel link=topic=16950.msg214195#msg214195 date=1214325533]
    The Owl is right about the V-4 being the American version of Hiwatt. ... [T]hey're fetching some hefty prices now, I think I paid $650.00 for mine brand new. [/quote]

Good to know, guys. The American version of a HiWatt! That's cool. Never played a Hiwatt, but, like the rest of the WHO fans on this forum, I've heard 'em plenty and I like the sound. The Stones' put them to good use too in the Live at Altamont concert. I've never pushed this monster into distortion, but one of these days, I'll unleash it for a power chord or two -- just to hear what's watt.

I have noticed the prices creeping up in the past ten years and I've been kind of amazed it's taken so long because these old-school Ampegs are really a breed apart. As for getting an early-70s V4 cab, I guess that's probably more trouble and cost than it's worth, unless I can find one within driving distance of ATL. Shipping is the cost-prohibitive on those babies.