Hot Tubes

Discussion in 'Effects' started by Barghest, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Barghest

Barghest New Member

I've just picked up an Electro Harmonix Hot Tubes Overdrive, got it on e-bay so i'm sat waiting for it to be delivered - it was the mention by the seller that you can nail the Iommi live evil guitar sound, so i thought i'd take a punt on it and hope for the best.

Anyone tried one of these?

2. RamHead

RamHead New Member

I have 70's version and that thing is great through slightly overdriven amp. You can have tons of volume boost and great creamy sustain but the main thing why i love it so much is that everything you play through it sound so warm..

Modern hot tubes (with tubes) sounds nothing like the original thing

3. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

I have one I sometimes use with my Trace Elliot Velocette to add a bit more dirt. I've found that the tone control positions are critical as a slight tweak will alter the whole thing drastically! I expect with time and patience you can get a really good sound out of it but on the whole I find the tone is sorta honky, a bit like a wah pedal stuck in the middle. For this reason it doesn't get used very often. It may well do the Iommi sound but you might be better off (as I think I would be!) with a Dallas treble booster clone as I believe he used one of those in early Sabbath days. Good luck with getting the tone. :)

4. Barghest

Barghest New Member

It finally arrived and i reckon it sounds amazing for what i need - i thought about a rangemaster but as much as i love Iommi's sound i wanted something along those lines that i could play about with. I reckon the sound i've got today with it in reherasal is somewhere between Iommi and an overdriven Hi-Watt.

Next weekend i'll be trying it through my friends new 200W Matamp.

5. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

Glad it works for you. :)