Hotrod Deville

mikeystool

Reaction score
anyone here have one???? opinions???.....2x12 or 4x10??? i think im gonna do the save thing, and get one...im tired of hauling a half stack to shows, well for my one band..id like it for this band, because i play half clean in it...dont need the dirt as much....

revelroy

Reaction score
I tried one of those and a hot rod deluxe too and was not impressed.
If possible, go for a 70s vibroluxe reverb combo. It has a tube rectifier, handwired, and has classic fender tone. Costs more to get initially, but will be well worth it in the long run.

mikeystool

Reaction score
[quote author=revelroy link=topic=19900.msg241157#msg241157 date=1256901352]
I tried one of those and a hot rod deluxe too and was not impressed.
If possible, go for a 70s vibroluxe reverb combo. It has a tube rectifier, handwired, and has classic fender tone. Costs more to get initially, but will be well worth it in the long run.
[/quote]i used a vibroluxe to record the cleans in the studio for our record, and i love it...that only has one 12'' in there right?....it is sweet, but id like to hear the deville, i have heard good things from many people, so i need to hear it for myself..id really like to get the supersonic, but that only has a 12'' in it too..i want to have 2 x 12'' or 4 x 10''s in what i get...

revelroy

Reaction score
Mikey- Vibrolux has 2x10" speakers [not 1x12"]
forget anything you've 'heard' about the de ville. GET THE VIBROLUX. POINT TO POINT wiring+ TUBE RECTIFIER = reliability+ease of repair [or modification if you are so inclined, but why mess w/ perfection?] and TONE TONE TONE!
One day I'd like to own one for myself. I've been too cheap to pull the trigger on e-bay. I have SO MANY amps right now that I never even get to use so can't justify the purchase.
Mine run the gamut from crazy loud to practice.
[1] 74 ampeg V4 half stack: [rolling stones tones]. STUPIDLY LOUD . absolutely no use for it anymore. no more roadies, clubs don't warrant it's use.
[2] 83 Boogie Mk-IIc combo: selectable 100/60 watts reverb+graphic EQ. versatility, but again, TOO LOUD, and so can't crank it to get the POWER TUBES to 'give it up' at their sweet spot.
[3] 72 Deluxe reverb: 22 watts of 6V6 sweetness. Sometimes even THIS is too much for some clubs. always end up with amps mic'd and fed into monitors anyway.
[4] 64 Princeton reverb:classic 6V6 tone. Need to have it worked on to make it more 'gig-worthy'. afraid to beat on it, but then again, why the hell not? that's what leo made them for!
[5,6,7] mid 70s VIBRO CHAMPS+BRONCO: 6 WATTS of 6V6 sweetness 'single ended [class A] circuit'!! surprisingly useful even at gigs!! 8" speaker! mic it up and wail away!!
[8]mid 60s PREMIER 120 combo: their version of a deluxe reverb. vintage cool, good for recorsdings but wouldn't gig with it though..
[9] mid 90s Mesa/Boogie SUBWAY ROCKET: 2 channel EL84 [like a vox AC30]powered. 20 watts. 1x10 combo.
my present gigging amp.
indestructable, very versatile tone stack on it

mikeystool

Reaction score
[quote author=revelroy link=topic=19900.msg241205#msg241205 date=1257024460]
Mikey- Vibrolux has 2x10" speakers [not 1x12"]
forget anything you've 'heard' about the de ville. GET THE VIBROLUX. POINT TO POINT wiring+ TUBE RECTIFIER = reliability+ease of repair [or modification if you are so inclined, but why mess w/ perfection?] and TONE TONE TONE!
One day I'd like to own one for myself. I've been too cheap to pull the trigger on e-bay. I have SO MANY amps right now that I never even get to use so can't justify the purchase.
Mine run the gamut from crazy loud to practice.
[1] 74 ampeg V4 half stack: [rolling stones tones]. STUPIDLY LOUD . absolutely no use for it anymore. no more roadies, clubs don't warrant it's use.
[2] 83 Boogie Mk-IIc combo: selectable 100/60 watts reverb+graphic EQ. versatility, but again, TOO LOUD, and so can't crank it to get the POWER TUBES to 'give it up' at their sweet spot.
[3] 72 Deluxe reverb: 22 watts of 6V6 sweetness. Sometimes even THIS is too much for some clubs. always end up with amps mic'd and fed into monitors anyway.
[4] 64 Princeton reverb:classic 6V6 tone. Need to have it worked on to make it more 'gig-worthy'. afraid to beat on it, but then again, why the hell not? that's what leo made them for!
[5,6,7] mid 70s VIBRO CHAMPS+BRONCO: 6 WATTS of 6V6 sweetness 'single ended [class A] circuit'!! surprisingly useful even at gigs!! 8" speaker! mic it up and wail away!!
[8]mid 60s PREMIER 120 combo: their version of a deluxe reverb. vintage cool, good for recorsdings but wouldn't gig with it though..
[9] mid 90s Mesa/Boogie SUBWAY ROCKET: 2 channel EL84 [like a vox AC30]powered. 20 watts. 1x10 combo.
my present gigging amp.
indestructable, very versatile tone stack on it
[/quote]oh cool! whats the average price you have seen on them???i know the sound is really sweet...damn you really do have TOO many amps.... :Droolin:

revelroy

Reaction score
Mikey, depending on the year ['blackface' i.e. pre 1968-9 till appx 1982 or so, is best,] and the condition [cosmetics+ originality i.e. speakers tubes and other sundry parts] will dictate the price.
I've seen some go on e-bay for as little as $700 and as much as 2000. Realistically, you can score a decent one for about 1200 I'd say. Just know what to look for.
As for my collection of amps, I've accumulated them over a LONG period of playing [I'm in the 'Old Geezer Club here].
got my ampeg V4 back in 1975 or so. kept on playing gigs, getting paid, saving up and using it to keep on buying dream gear. I only wish I was WORTHY to have all of my stuff!! For someone who has been at it as long as I have been, I SUCK!
If ya like , you can check out one of my bands' sites and hear for yourself.
www.streetfighterstonesband.com
good luck and happy hunting! keep us all posted!

Moose

Reaction score
I had a 2x12 HotRod Deville.

It's a pretty good amp and very popular (the 40 watt deluxe is even more popular). Great garage band sound, a la The Strokes.

The positives:

• [li]Pretty good cleans (well it is a Fender);[/li]
    [li]Good reverb;[/li]
    [li]Pedal friendly;[/li]
    [li]Reasonable drive circuit. I wouldn't call it a separate channel and don't overdrive it;[/li]
    [li]Really loud (which is really a negative)[/li]
    [li]Not that expensive for a "traditional" brand name value amp[/li]

Neutral:

These amps have been made in Mexico for a few years now. This shouldn't make any difference but many people are hooked on "Made In USA or UK". Fender Mexico make some fine kit so it wouldn't worry me.

The negatives:

• [li]It's really heavy to lug around in your car or upstairs, n.b. the Fender advertised weight is wrong. The actual weight is about 62 lbs as I recall;[/li]
    [li]It's actually too loud. You can't really play it at home anything above three is gig volume;[/li]
    [li]Cheaper construction than the current fender pro-series. Power sockets are surface mounted on circuit board, which can lead to reliability problems.[/li]

In summary not a bad amp but none of the positives outweigh the considerable negatives.

WRT 4x10 vs. 2x12. I believe the 4x10 is lighter which is a positive all by itself. I replaced the DeVille with a Bassman Re-Issue which addressed all the DV negatives.

Revelroy comments are well made. Most venues have good enough house PAs (excepting outdoor venues) so I don't feel the need for 60 watts, let alone a Marshall Stack.

I don't tend to use the Bassman much any more have as I have to play it pretty loud to get the power tubes working. It's used mostly as a bass amp (which is pretty unusual these days). My go to amps are: Orange Rockerverb 50 (for larger gigs) and Rivera Pubster 25 for the smaller gigs / studio.

mikeystool

Reaction score
[quote author=Moose link=topic=19900.msg241364#msg241364 date=1257315752]
I had a 2x12 HotRod Deville.

It's a pretty good amp and very popular (the 40 watt deluxe is even more popular). Great garage band sound, a la The Strokes.

The positives:

• [li]Pretty good cleans (well it is a Fender);[/li]
    [li]Good reverb;[/li]
    [li]Pedal friendly;[/li]
    [li]Reasonable drive circuit. I wouldn't call it a separate channel and don't overdrive it;[/li]
    [li]Really loud (which is really a negative)[/li]
    [li]Not that expensive for a "traditional" brand name value amp[/li]

Neutral:

These amps have been made in Mexico for a few years now. This shouldn't make any difference but many people are hooked on "Made In USA or UK". Fender Mexico make some fine kit so it wouldn't worry me.

The negatives:

• [li]It's really heavy to lug around in your car or upstairs, n.b. the Fender advertised weight is wrong. The actual weight is about 62 lbs as I recall;[/li]
    [li]It's actually too loud. You can't really play it at home anything above three is gig volume;[/li]
    [li]Cheaper construction than the current fender pro-series. Power sockets are surface mounted on circuit board, which can lead to reliability problems.[/li]

In summary not a bad amp but none of the positives outweigh the considerable negatives.

WRT 4x10 vs. 2x12. I believe the 4x10 is lighter which is a positive all by itself. I replaced the DeVille with a Bassman Re-Issue which addressed all the DV negatives.

Revelroy comments are well made. Most venues have good enough house PAs (excepting outdoor venues) so I don't feel the need for 60 watts, let alone a Marshall Stack.

I don't tend to use the Bassman much any more have as I have to play it pretty loud to get the power tubes working. It's used mostly as a bass amp (which is pretty unusual these days). My go to amps are: Orange Rockerverb 50 (for larger gigs) and Rivera Pubster 25 for the smaller gigs / studio.
[/quote]some of the negatives, like the "too loud", doesnt bother me..i need something that can play at shows, and practice..i wouldnt be using it at home, i got a champ for that..like i said i play with a 100watt half stack now, and that is LOUD..this would be a step down..i would be using a pedal board with it, so for dirt, id use my big muff...i have heard that they are way heavy, the guys i talked to that own them(btw were using blues jrs. at the gigs i talked to them)..they chose the jr.s for the gigs because they were smaller shows, and though they liked the devilles more, didnt want to lug them around...my thing is, im tired of lugging a 4x12, plus head, around for this one band, where i use cleans for half the set..i love fenders...id love the vibrolux, i have played that, the 2x10's turns me off though, id want 2x12's or 4x10's...what id really like to get, but the money is mad, is the twin reverb.. :Droolin: im not set on anything yet, but the deville interests me...thanks for you 2 cents :)

oldrockfan

Reaction score
I've played the devilles and like em. Similar to the hot rods but better. The one I played was a 2x12 and it had good bass response. I also liked the dirty tone in it better than on the hot rod I owned for a couple years. The added perk is I see devilles selling cheap frequently. I had a chance to pick one up for $350 not 3 months ago. Passed on it since I am more into low volume stuff these days but you could prob find one cheap. Use it a while and sell it later at no loss if it isn't for you.

revelroy

Reaction score
those devilles and hot rod models really don't cut it IMHO. If one is just getting into tube amps, I suppose they're better than nothing, but they really don't hold a candle to the good old CLASSIC Fender models of the 60s. If you look, you can still find reasonably priced SILVERFACED models.

Moose

Reaction score
[quote author=mikeystool link=topic=19900.msg241375#msg241375 date=1257331023]
what id really like to get, but the money is mad, is the twin reverb.[/quote]

I've also had one of those re-vamp Fender Twin-Amps.

1. It was even heavier than the DV, about the weight of a Marshall quad box. The wheels help but not if you need to go over uneven surfaces or upstairs.

2. Those four power tubes put out a lot of heat. With the legs folded back the amp can was hot enough to fry eggs and humans during an Australian summer. Mind you the amp doesn't seem to mind. It might be worthwhile getting a fan and turning the amp off between sets.

3. Much better volume control than the DV.

4. Drive channel is a waste of time and your ears would bleed before you get power valve distortion.

5. Marvelous clean at any volume

revelroy

Reaction score
unless you're a 'chicken pickin' country clean dude, I have 3 words you need to learn:
SMALL amps rule!
You'll thank me later ..
Mic them if you need to, and hook up additional speaker cabs if you want to, but trust me, SMALL AMP is better.

Rafael

Reaction score
[quote author=Moose link=topic=19900.msg241403#msg241403 date=1257413791]
I've also had one of those re-vamp Fender Twin-Amps.

1. It was even heavier than the DV, about the weight of a Marshall quad box. The wheels help but not if you need to go over uneven surfaces or upstairs.

2. Those four power tubes put out a lot of heat. With the legs folded back the amp can was hot enough to fry eggs and humans during an Australian summer. Mind you the amp doesn't seem to mind. It might be worthwhile getting a fan and turning the amp off between sets.

3. Much better volume control than the DV.

4. Drive channel is a waste of time and your ears would bleed before you get power valve distortion.

5. Marvelous clean at any volume
[/quote]

You must be talking about a PTTA, The Twin (Custom) or Red Knob cause the old Twin, RI, or SF Twin reverb don't have gain channel.

At any rate those amps (Twins) are meant to be played loud. At low volumes they can sound flat and lifeless.....but there's ways of getting around that. Also they seem to take pedals better at the higher volume. No break up with these amps but do have a sweet spot where the O/P tubes shine. But still at volumes that even your unborn grandchildren can hear.....ways of getting around that too. Of course they are heavy too but not to bad unless you have to lug them up stairs....gravity can help on the way down. Just kidding. Guess I've been lugging mine around for so long I'm almost use to it.

I also have a '65 Princeton I use mic'ed and a 410 Deville that I been using mostly this year....got it in '00 BTW. As you can tell by now I prefer Blackface Fender types.

Anyways IMO nothing wrong with the sounds out of the Deville or Deluxe, of course a matter of opinion and nothing more. But they are known to have reliability issues. Main cause of the issues with these amps are the 5 watt PCB mounted resistors. They dissipate a lot of heat that in time cause other componet failures.

I've read some horror stories and just as many praises, if not more, on these Hot Rod amps. Some have gigged with them for over 10 years and have had no issues. As I said so far I have had no issues with mine either but I do baby it....not like my others.

You mentioned wanting a Supersonic but wanted more than a 1X12. Have you considered the Supersonic head and getting a cab?

Anyhow just my 2 cents and good luck with whatever you get.

Moose

Reaction score
This is the amp I had http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0215700000

The general characteristics of Fender Twins is clean to infinity.Although some amps e.g. Evil Twin include drive channels my experience has been that the drive channels don't work that well.

The twin reissues are probably a better option. After all Bloomfield for one was a fan of the original and his tone was wonderful.

Rafael

Reaction score
[quote author=Moose link=topic=19900.msg241433#msg241433 date=1257508342]
This is the amp I had http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0215700000

The general characteristics of Fender Twins is clean to infinity.Although some amps e.g. Evil Twin include drive channels my experience has been that the drive channels don't work that well.

The twin reissues are probably a better option. After all Bloomfield for one was a fan of the original and his tone was wonderful.
[/quote]

Yup...just what I suspected. That's a PTTA. The PTTA, Custom Twin (coined the Evil Twin) and Red Knob are about the only ones with a gain channel in the Twin realm...or only ones that come to mind anyhow.

If I was in the market for another Twin I believe I'd find myself a used Silver Face before getting one of the RI's. Nothing wrong with the RI's IMO, but a used SF Twin are priced much better, much easier to work on if you have to being PTP, a bit more reliable for the same reasons IMO. Plus, and not that it makes much difference to me nor maybe anybody else, but also be getting something that's not a RI. Nothing wrong with RI's but if I can get an original for less then why not....never said it was a smart reason

There's a very simple mod to convert the SF to BF if one feels the need , but IMO i wouldn't see the need to.

Truth be told I like any of the Twins. Don't care to much for the gain side on them that have it myself also. Unless they are wide open that channel just doesn't sound very flattering to me.

mikeystool

Reaction score
[quote author=Rafael link=topic=19900.msg241408#msg241408 date=1257426279]

You mentioned wanting a Supersonic but wanted more than a 1X12. Have you considered the Supersonic head and getting a cab?

Anyhow just my 2 cents and good luck with whatever you get.
[/quote]my biggest thing about getting a new amp, is i dont wanna lug around a halfstack anymore for this band..id like a fender combo with a 2x12'' or 4x10''.....i dont wanna mic either...too much set up time...love a supersonic..i cant rely on borrowing someones cab at shows...the sound of that amp would be idea for both bands really...if it only came in a 2x12''... :Droolin:

Rafael

Reaction score
[quote author=mikeystool link=topic=19900.msg241464#msg241464 date=1257556480]
my biggest thing about getting a new amp, is i dont wanna lug around a halfstack anymore for this band..id like a fender combo with a 2x12'' or 4x10''.....i dont wanna mic either...too much set up time...love a supersonic..i cant rely on borrowing someones cab at shows...the sound of that amp would be idea for both bands really...if it only came in a 2x12''... :Droolin:
[/quote]

I know what you mean on all counts.

I like the Supersonic myself but never have had one at stage volumes...just done the store demo with them. Folks that do use them on stage have commented on how the head and cab sound much better than the combo for that though. Can't remember what the hoopla, or difference, was.

Might try the combo for smaller things and just add a single 1 X 12 for some bigger times (?).

As I said I'm pretty pleased so far with my Deville 410....just keeping my fingers crossed due to some of the reliability issues I've heard a few talk about though. I stick with the clean side and rely on pedals for dirt myself. Just the formula that's worked for me for so many years at any volume.

mikeystool

Reaction score
[quote author=Rafael link=topic=19900.msg241478#msg241478 date=1257607191]
I know what you mean on all counts.

I like the Supersonic myself but never have had one at stage volumes...just done the store demo with them. Folks that do use them on stage have commented on how the head and cab sound much better than the combo for that though. Can't remember what the hoopla, or difference, was.

Might try the combo for smaller things and just add a single 1 X 12 for some bigger times (?).

As I said I'm pretty pleased so far with my Deville 410....just keeping my fingers crossed due to some of the reliability issues I've heard a few talk about though. I stick with the clean side and rely on pedals for dirt myself. Just the formula that's worked for me for so many years at any volume.
[/quote]yet to try the supersonic, but yesterday, while string shopping and basically torturing myself looking at stuff i cant afford :roll:, i pulled a faded off the wall and plugged into a hotrod deluxe... dont know if it was the axe or amp, i have to think it was the amp, but on the drive channel it was squealing like a pig, even with the volume down, at store level, and lower, and the gain down...the clean channel was awesome, i only messed around for a bit, but i loved the reverb and the sweet sounds i got...i cant believe they left the faulty sounding amp sitting there, not gonna sell many of those that way...

mikeystool

Reaction score
i put money down on the 2x12, a few weeks......... :Droolin:...cant wait...

Latest posts