Household Noise Reduction

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by RVA, Mar 29, 2016.

1. RVA

RVA Well-Known Member

As I mentioned in another thread, I have been making efforts to "protect" my wife from the noise I make in the basement while working out my tube amp. As we all are aware, all tube amps are loud, and some of us know that any volume is too loud for the wives!

So far I have insulated the ceiling with Rolux Safe & Sound insulation:
    http://www.roxul.com/residential/create+a+quiet+home/which+safe+n+sound

And put up surface mount acoustic ceiling tiles:
    http://www.armstrong.com/commceilingsna/products/ceilings/panels/_/N-cZ1z141ad

According to my wife, this reduced the noise from the basement by 40%. I am striving for more, so I ordered soundproofing tape for the door jam:
    http://www.amazon.com/Gray-Door-Sou...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I was not sure if this would help, but I was considering a Clearsonic guitar amp shield behind the amp to keep sound away from the wall which extends upstairs and direct it forward toward me:
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CSPA24

Anyone have any tips for reducing household playing noise?

CATMANDUE likes this.
  2. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Jimmy Jacks and RVA like this.
  3. RVA

RVA Well-Known Member

We currently negotiate between volumes of .5 and 1.5, although it is a 50W amp!

I have put up pics of the area before - the only visible thing that has changed so far is the ceiling - but new pics to come.

4. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

I think you got it licked Sir. ;)

5. Jimmy Jacks

Jimmy Jacks Well-Known Member

Yea R, I have a 50watt Marshall that doesn't have a low zone for volume. It's either ear drum shatter or just plain loud. My wife got used to the loud, but she might be deaf now. After a session I try to strike up conversation and she doesn't seem to hear me. She also has a look on her face like she ate something terrible. Where as me I'm all smiles and cheer cause I got to get the lead out.

Karathas, eS.G. and RVA like this.
  6. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Did you consider something like this. You open the lid to the amount of tolerable noise. Lighter on the wallet.

[​IMG]

RVA likes this.
  7. RVA

RVA Well-Known Member

Thanks Doc. I am nit sure I could enjoy sitting i/f/o the amp anymore. Plus, I could not access the controls. Out of curiosity, are you saying this is cheaper than the acrylic shield? I already did the other stuff.

8. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I'm sure you could design an enclosure where you have access to the control knobs. What would it cost to build a wood box with foam inside ? Not a clue, but it should be cheap.

RVA likes this.
  9. flatrockmobile

flatrockmobile Well-Known Member

Attenuator. Lots of plans on the web for diy.

ISO box. I've never tried it, but I've always thought an old refrigerator or chest freezer would make a good one.

Building a shop building in the back yard might be cheaper than a divorce.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    frankd and RVA like this.
  10. Jimmy Jacks

Jimmy Jacks Well-Known Member

I'd have to build a box big enough to stand in just so I could play it so loud it would make my balls move while I stood in front of the speakers.

11. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

Give her $50 shopping money and tell her to take her time - about 2 hours at a clip.
    I dont see how you can even play 50 tube watts in a smallish confined space. Cleans only?
    Attenuator or adding a master volume? Flatrock, the freezer idea is very interesting.
    If you dont need that beast sell it and buy or build something more manageable.

My 14W or so 5e3 build is damn loud in the basement. So is the 4-5w 5f1 for that matter.

I often get dirt from pedals to keep the volume down, but damn its sounds great near full throttle.

DrBGood likes this.
  12. RVA

RVA Well-Known Member

I don't really go for natural breakup and the JVM does will at bedroom volumes, so an attenuator would drive the amp too low. As I write I realize I am probably fighting a loosing battle, but I will get an 'A' for effort!

13. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

I was hoping this thread was about reducing noise from the house (e.g., the wiring) through your amp! :D

14. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

I know someone with a studio in his backyard, under his garage. He must have some kind of pump to keep the basement free of water, as his house is pretty much on sea level and the area opposite is reclaimed swamp land. Nevertheless he did it and you can't hear the band practicing down there when you are in the yard and the studio doors are shut

You could build it like a bomb shelter and it would be selling point if you need to get rid of the house. The tin foil hat nutters would be keen for it

RVA likes this.
  15. lineboat

lineboat Well-Known Member

Buy her some earplugs!

Get a smaller practice type amp. Noodle around on it the majority of the time, crank he big boy for kicks every now and then. That's what I've ended up doing and everyone is happy. You'll spend a small fortune trying to isolate that much!

16. RVA

RVA Well-Known Member

Hmm, buy another amp to make the marraige better. Can do!

Tony_Orto and lineboat like this.
  17. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

That's what I said no better excuse to get a new amp the other amps are just too loud
    LOL rest assured she will ask if your going to sale the others . Utt Ohh yeah yeah sure I will

18. alexander paul

alexander paul Well-Known Member

my wife wears ear plugs but so do i...

[​IMG]

RVA likes this.
  19. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

20. Karathas

Karathas Well-Known Member

I live in a townhouse. when i first started playing, I was in my bedroom, the neighbour on that side of the house would complain about the least little noise. After the kids moved out, we had a little more space so i moved into the bedroom on the opposite side of our bedroom. I put bookcases and stuff on the common wall with the other neighbour. They have a similar layout in their house to mine and the room common to that room is empty.

That allows me to play fairly loud now..not at at night, but during the day at least..loud around here is about 2 but that's still pretty sufficient in a small room.