How bad are these cracks?

Reaction score
Damn.

Damn.

I got this 2016 61' Reissue the other day, and love it. While looking at it today, I discovered some "cracks" seemingly between the fretboard and the neck itself. It appears on both sides between the 1st and 2nd frets. This is a returnable guitar, so if these cracks are bad (they seem bad to me), then I'll return the guitar. If this is fairly common then I won't think too much about it. The guitar sounds amazing but I don't want to keep one that's got damage that will hurt it down the road - especially if I have to sell it.

QvMo9Vnh.jpg

UzxhySjh.jpg

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
Have you tried throwing this up in the "Luthier's Corner" thread on this site? Probably get some good analysis there. Personally, I see nothing like it on any of my own models. Not a good sign.

pancake81

Reaction score
Fair warning** I am NOT a luthier!
But I would take it to one!

has the guitar been in some extreme heat or humidity?

if return is an option. Don’t hesitate, ACT NOW! Before the time comes that you want to return it and the window is gone. I know you like the guitar, but there is not exactly a shortage of 2016 61 RI’s

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
2016 was a limited run of SG 61 RI, but any other year would work since they all have slim taper necks. Even a recent SG Standard ‘61 would be a good candidate.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
It's not good, but it's certainly fixable, so it's up to you. I have an '80s Epiphone that had the exact same issue, and my local luthier glued and clamped it so that now it's rock solid and you can barely feel the seam, although it's still visible, of course.

Before:

guitar shiz 014m.jpg
guitar shiz 015m.jpg

After:

20220120_235657.jpg
20220121_000503.jpg

If you really like the guitar, I'd talk to the seller about a partial refund for however much the repair costs. If you're not too attached to it and you think seeing the crack, even repaired, would bother you, return it.

MR D

Reaction score
Damn.

Damn.

I got this 2016 61' Reissue the other day, and love it. While looking at it today, I discovered some "cracks" seemingly between the fretboard and the neck itself. It appears on both sides between the 1st and 2nd frets. This is a returnable guitar, so if these cracks are bad (they seem bad to me), then I'll return the guitar. If this is fairly common then I won't think too much about it. The guitar sounds amazing but I don't want to keep one that's got damage that will hurt it down the road - especially if I have to sell it.

QvMo9Vnh.jpg

UzxhySjh.jpg

That guitar goes back to the seller/retailer along with a 'Nice Try'. That is sooo not good, its bad....

Siamese

Reaction score
I'd get rid of now, because if I wanted to sell it sometime in the future, I'd have to disclose the flaw to any potential buyer. That's going to eliminate a lot of buyers. I don't know where you bought it, but why didn't your seller disclose it? Tell me it wasn't Reverb.

DJGranite

Reaction score
While it is repairable is that really what you want?
Unless it was an unbelievable deal I would return it.
At best it will always be a guitar that has had a repair and so retain less value.

SGBreadfan

Reaction score
I concur with the other comments, very bad…send it back if you can.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
A lot depends on where you bought it and for how much, so I will leave the return situation up to you.

As for repair, that looks like a totally repairable condition, and if you like the instrument it would be worth getting it fixed. For what it is worth, it looks like a previous repair that didn't hold for whatever reason. I am pretty sure I can see a somewhat sloppy glue joint that extends beyond the obvious separation. A good Luthier will probably want to remove the fret board, inspect, clean it up, and re-glue with a fresh joint. Properly done, it should be good as new, and nearly invisible.

Reaction score
A lot depends on where you bought it and for how much, so I will leave the return situation up to you.

As for repair, that looks like a totally repairable condition, and if you like the instrument it would be worth getting it fixed. For what it is worth, it looks like a previous repair that didn't hold for whatever reason. I am pretty sure I can see a somewhat sloppy glue joint that extends beyond the obvious separation. A good Luthier will probably want to remove the fret board, inspect, clean it up, and re-glue with a fresh joint. Properly done, it should be good as new, and nearly invisible.

The guitar was $1700 plus tax and shipping. By the time I had the repair done, I'd be in "new" territory!

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
That does seem like a lot to pay for a guitar that needs a repair like this. As I said, I will leave the decision up to you, but if the damage was not disclosed at the time of sale I would be inclined to send it back. Very sad.

MR D

Reaction score
The guitar was $1700 plus tax and shipping. By the time I had the repair done, I'd be in "new" territory!

For that coinage, a guitar with a headache attached should not be happening...Glad to hear its going/gone back....a starting to separate fret-board is sooo not good and/or easy to repair ?...I definitely would not attempt it and IDK if you'd have to separate the entire F-Board and then a re-gluing? I've yet to even see that done.
hope the replacement is in a bit better shape....for $1700 you should get a dam good/excellent guitar

Latest posts