How Can They Sell Them So Cheaply?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by peterbright, Dec 1, 2013.

1. peterbright

peterbright Active Member

Got a SG 50's Tribute on the way for peanuts.

2. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy Well-Known Member

We need pics.

How much did you pay for it?

3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

The sellers have to move the old out, so they can make a payment on the new.
    The commitment for a current dealer is about $90,000 I believe and "Gibson" tags must hang from 40% of your hooks. The buy in for new dealers is $150,000. Gibson's marketing policy puts considerable pressure on dealers to Move 'em out and pay for the new model year.
    Biddlin ;>)/

Werewolf913 likes this.
  4. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

yeah, that puts Gibson in the same corrupt-corporation category as Wal-Mart, where their official policy is to undermine our society by putting small shops out of business, pure David vs Goliath kind of competition except that none of the smaller shops have any divine blessings or protection, so they just get stomped one by one. Or forced into selling used guitars only, or Far East made odd-brand instruments.

Funny, Fender doesn't seem to do this, and I see new Fender guitars for sale at small shops where ever I go. I'm not naive enough to think Fender is 'better' as corporations go. I imagine they're all corrupt. But I love guitars and can't afford to buy a hand made one from a luthier. I respect the people that work at Gibson, and actually produce something worthwhile... but not the top brass or the marketeers.

It's good that we don't talk politics on this forum, at least in this area. There's no solution that I can think of. And I don't want to listen to someone who thinks he knows what's right or best. Our members from other lands may be puzzled by political talk in this country. I know that I am, and I'm a native. So let's stick to music and guitars, and fiddle away while our 'civilization' goes the way of empires of the past. That's what the band did when the ol' Titanic was going down, according to legend.

And yes... there are great deals being offered at this time. If you want a Gibson, get it now I say.

5. Biddlin

"Tell Mike it was only business..." Tessio to Tom Hagen

The company was about to go out of business when Henry E. Juszkiewicz, David H. Berryman, and Gary A. Zebrowski bought it in January 1986. It is likely that a foreign company would have acquired the brand, kit and caboodle, possibly dealing more damage to the brand than Norlin ever could.
    The buy in requirements are similar for Fender dealerships, though FMIC hasn't dumped existing dealer's in territories long served or remote enough.
    The instruments are better than ever, Folks in Bozeman and Memphis and Nashville have jobs to go to, and all the big box retailers and online places employ real people, too.
    So with deep respect and affection, Col., this one's for you !
    [​IMG]
    Biddlin ;>)/

Greg Connor likes this.
  6. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I don't think the 40% requirement is enforced across the board. A few years back the locally-owned music store that I frequent told Gibson to stuff it when Gibson put the 40% burden on them. The local store makes plenty from everything else (guitars, drums, keyboards, sound gear, instrument rentals, and lessons) and has enough of a local customer base to not let themselves get pushed around by Gibson.

Once the Gibson inventory had sold out, the local store gladly filled the hooks previously occupied by Gibson with more Ibanez, PRS, Vox, Jackson, Dean, Gretsch, and (of course) Fenders. They also expanded their acoustic line with more Lag, Taylor, Martin, Ovation, and Dean acoustics. They also bought another local store so they could have a presence in concert instruments like woodwinds, brass instruments, and acoustic pianos. They even kept the original name of the store they bought to keep it's local identity. In short, the Gibson loss never really hurt them.

Anyway, about a year ago the local store suddenly started carrying Gibson products again. This includes Epiphone as well as the actual Gibson name. So, I started talking to one of the store managers and asked him about the 40% requirement. He told me that Gibson came to them and asked them to carry the line again and dropped the 40% minimum. So, if it is still a requirement, it seems they selectively enforce it.

7. Biddlin

Yeah, like most policies.

8. Col Mustard

well, I like to live in a world where Gibson is possible. I have two Gibsons, and they are right up there among the best I have ever played. (So's my old Fender Bass). So I'm happy that "Henry J and the Henchmen" were able to save the company when it was hurting, and expand it to employ people in several places. I just don't like to see big money push small businesses around. But that's nothing new. It's been going on since Caesar's day, and likely long before that. I don't know why they can't go see small shops and say, 'Please stock our products. Order what you think you can sell."

I'd rather see that than have the small store fill its displays with Ibanez and Takamine and others made elsewhere. Good as they are...

Biddlin likes this.
  9. peterbright

peterbright Active Member

$539 and it has not arrived.

Saintjonah likes this.
  10. Biddlin

We have one shop in Sacramento that buys direct from Gibson and can resell them as new, with all the goodies. They do so mostly to keep a couple of new LPs and an SG or two on the floor. They beat the heck out of GC's service and custom work as well as stocking boutique amps and accessories. My neighbourhood store has Yamaha and Fender dealer rights and has excellent customer service, almost concierge level. I feel and would advise Henry, that Gibson needs to look at its distribution model and try to incorporate more small and niche markets. Right now the best an independent shop can get is a tiny discount on multiple unit purchases and for Mom and Pop that won't cut it. That also means Josh Witherbottom in Owl's Eye, Alberta is never gonna get a chance to play a real SG, so he's gonna settle for an inferior product and refit to his needs with someone elses parts. Or worse buy a BSA chopper and get a "Born to raise Wheat" tattoo.
    Oh crap! I caught the Col.s hyperbolic butthurt. Balm...STAT.
    Biddlin ;>)/

11. Angry Tele

Angry Tele Member

HenryJ knows what hes doing. :dunno:

Henry selling cheaper Made in USA guitars than Fender is something I thought Id never see. Brilliant!
    makes sense too, as Gibson cannot compete with the excellent Squire CV/C line which are, more or less as good as any USA Fender, not to mention the MIM Fender line.

dbb likes this.
  12. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Fender has a problem- the non-USA made stuff sounds and plays as good as the USA guitars.

Ooopsy!

Biddlin and Angry Tele like this.
  13. Krosis

Krosis Well-Known Member

As popular as MIM Fenders are these days (I wish I knew that before I sold mine), there are still people who will not touch them.

OTOH, if Gibson came out with a MIM line as well, I'd be down at GC in a heart beat checking those out.

Biddlin likes this.
  14. Col Mustard

I have a MIM Telecaster that sounds and feels great. It ain't a USA Fender, but there's only a few differences. It's coated in Polyurethane instead of Lacquer... doesn't bug me at all, and it's very practical and nearly indestructible, as a Fender guitar should be.

I saved enough buying it to afford a great SKB hard case, and a pro setup job and a Monster cable. *laughs. I like to support USA workers, but I love my Tele regardless.

And Gibson's budget line is made in China, branded Epiphone, and keeps getting better and better. So they don't need a Mexican plant, really they sell Epiphones all over the world. I have a MIC Epiphone and it's a really good guitar. (with improvements by me of course).

Biddlin likes this.
  15. smitty_p

For the money you spent on that Monster cable you coulda just bought the USA Fender! *laughs with you.

Its called "Monster" cable 'cause its big and eats people's money.

Just messin' with ya Colonel!

Col Mustard likes this.
  16. smitty_p

For the money you spent on that overpriced Monster cable you coulda just bought the MIA Fender! *laughs with you.

Just messin' with ya Colonel!

Col Mustard likes this.
  17. smitty_p

How did I just double post?

Weird.

18. Angry Tele

Angry Tele Member

epiphone isnt the same as squier, or MIM fender or fender japan mainly because of the headstock shape which isnt the same as Gibson.

They kind of shoot themselves in the foot by having an epiphone line IMO.

Epis are there own thing and good guitars they should seperate themselves from them.

Look at PRS, since they started making the SE line they have really taken off. They arent just for blooze lawyers anymore.
    and having an Asian line will help their US line sales, people that start with an SE may eventually buy the more expensive USA version.

the way it is now, selling a made in USA Gibson for $500 that is 90% as good as the $2000 ones makes people think twice about buying the "good" ones.

Gretsch is an example of how to not do it. They have basically 2 choices a $2000 USA gretsch or a $500 Korean one. They need an $800-1000 MIM Gretsch.

Saintjonah likes this.
  19. Biddlin

Why would anyone pay so much ?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    This POS bolt neck Epi sold for $760 on Ebay last night. I'm goin over to the pawn shop to buy a couple and then drag them through the creek bed for a couple of hours before taking some target practice. maybe I can make a thousand percent profit .:laugh2:
    Biddlin

20. Saintjonah

Saintjonah Well-Known Member

They do have the ~$800 Electromatic range. I believe they're made in Korea, but they aren't too shabby. My buddy recently got a 5420T for around $800 and he's quite pleased with it.

smitty_p likes this.