How do I clean metal humbucker covers on my Epi SGs?

shamu1

Reaction score
Anyone have any tips on how to clean the stock metal humbucker covers on a G-400? I have one in particular, my 1966 RI G-400 Silverburst, which has developed ugly white and gray spots on the covers, and it looks horrible. I'd like to get them clean and shining like new, if that's possible.

Any recommendations for a metal cleaner that works well with these? I've only tried the damp towel method, which of course didn't do much of anything.

tolm

Reaction score
Metal polish from your local hardware store should do the trick. I've used AutoGlym (?) which is designed for polishing chrome on cars and similar products:

1 - Don't use very much!
2 - Rub gently!

nbeersiii

Reaction score
Back years ago I had chrome rims on my old mustang GT and I used windex glass cleaner try that.

Nijrem

Reaction score
No cleaning tips here; I just rub em with a damp cloth one in a while. But here's a pic of my buddy's '70something Gibby LP Goldtop's covers...He has some agressive sweat or what..? ;)
http://flic.kr/p/gdGsde
These are SD antiquity pups, and that cover's completely worn open now, and quite a bit of his bridge is gone too. (Everytime he plays one of my guitars I need to either immediately clean the strings or replace them lol..Coated strings are saving him a lot of money these days haha)

SG_Island

Reaction score
Brasso works pretty good. I use it (sparingly) to clean up any finish pits or problems on chrome pickups - or any chrome parts on my guitars, for that matter. Here it is on my Epi EB-O bass pickup.

Wookiee

Reaction score
Pretty much 100% of the hardware on my G400 became tarnished a few summers ago, which we determined was due to humidity.. and I actually didn't bother shining them up. Gives the guitar a sweet relic'd look.

You can kind of see the difference below:

Before: The bridge/pick-ups were shiny/reflective

wookiee-albums-my-guitars-picture418-epiphone-g400-limited-edition-5.jpg

After: No reflection, kinda dulled down. The bridge, pickup covers, frets, and tuners all have that stained/dullness now... and I kinda dig it.

wookiee-albums-my-guitars-picture416-epiphone-g400-limited-edition-1.jpg

Tony M

Reaction score
I love the finish on that.
It looks like when you stare into the bottom of a really hot wood fire.

Wookiee

Reaction score
Thanks!

She was originally going to be an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I was sitting down playing one and I looked across the store and the first thing that caught my attention was the finish. I had sold my original Epi SG a year before and didn't even think about getting another until I seen her. Played for about 20 minutes and fell in love, and never looked at the Les Paul again. No regrets.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
OMG wookie, That is an incredible looking EPI. Was that a special model or something?

I've never seen a top like that in an Epi. It is beautiful

Wookiee

Reaction score
Yup. It has the "Limited Edition" stamp on the back of the headstock. I've heard that that is basically stamped on any Epi SG with minor differences, but in this case it's clearly the finish. Everything else is the same as a regular standard G400. From what I've gathered, its a 2009.

Latest posts