How do you know the model

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by THRobinson, Apr 16, 2021.

1. THRobinson

THRobinson New Member

I've been keeping an eye open for a cheap used Epi SG, but sellers don't always list or know which model they have. Serial number tells me the ywar and factory but doesn't seem to tell model.

How do you know which is which?

I know I want the binding on the neck, set neck, and trapezoid inlays... But hard to know beyond that what specs to be looking at.

2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Apart from recent (2019 and later) SGs, there's only a few with neck binding.

The 3 pickup Custom, the Prophecy, the Elitist '61, most Japanese and the Vintage G400 from 2003-2006.

This last one is basically a Gibson, except for the last 1" of the top of the headstock.
    - No veneer body
    - One piece neck
    - Winged headstock construction
    - Long tenon
    - 2 colors: Cherry Red and Dark Natural

You can esily recognise it from it's gold mother of pearl headstock inlays. All others are white.

2020-12-20.jpg

2005.jpg

3. THRobinson

THRobinson New Member

Wow, I thought binding was more common... Like on Epiphone LP's.

Though, for what I have planned, adding binding won't be outta the question. Though if I recall, the Jay Turser SG's had binding on a few models as well plus bigger headstocks.

It's a weird project I have planned... Basically I want to rebuild my first guitar which was a Raven SG, and extremely hard to find one the same as what I had. One of those projects that's more work and effort than it's worth, but, I have fun doing it.

4. THRobinson

THRobinson New Member

So... Back to the OP... If I see an SG for sale, how do I know the model? I see one now from 2002, red, set neck, trapezoid inlays, smaller pickguard... Is it an SG G-400?

5. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

To figure out the model you usually need to look at features like control layout, neck markings and neck attachment (set/bolt).

This site is quite helpful, but it doesn't have any of the newer models. http://www.epiphonewiki.org/index/SG.php

6. DrBGood

Humbucker SGs:
    - Set neck 2 pickups 4 control knobs = G400
    - Bolt-on neck 2 pickups 4 control knobs = G310
    - Bolt-on neck 2 pickups 2 control knobs = Special
    - Bolt on neck 1 pickup 2 control knobs = Junior

THRobinson likes this.
  7. THRobinson

THRobinson New Member

Perfect.... I get that there are special models and such as well, but this is what I was after. So, if set-neck, trap inlays and 4 knobs... it's automatically at least a G400 or better? Which is what I'm after.

Shame about the binding though.

8. DrBGood

My bad ... I just remembered that in 2018, they put the binding back on for the G-400 Pro.

Arthwys likes this.
  9. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

My 2015 '66 G400 Pro has rosewood binding on the neck.

10. THRobinson

THRobinson New Member

Well... Kinda went a different direction. Somewhat local guitar tech was selling an SG, looks like the neck came lose, someone glued it back 1/8" too far out. Tech got it, stripped it, so I just got the neck and body.

It's a G-400, has binding, satin brown and the inlays are aged pearl not white pearl.

Part of me says rebuild... Part of me wants to strip it, refinish in cherry nitro.

In Canada, Nitro was extremely hard to find, you could get clear but that was it... The last summer 2 companies popped up in Ontario, both selling vintage nitro colours. I have an old Hagstrom to refinish in cherry... SG may be a nice test run. Though I'd rather the darker wine, but they don't sell that.

Plan is to do this with probably all Gotoh parts. Decent price and always liked the quality. Nickel bridge, tail, and vintage nickel / jade tuners. Irongear blues engine pickups, burns pots.

I might reshape the headstock but keep the Epiphone logo... I have no shame in owning an Epiphone.

I'd like to buy number/letter stamps off ebay... Anyone know how big the fonts are that Gibson uses?

EDIT - From the colour, the binding, the yellowed/aged pearl and using the serial number for the age and factory, it looks like it's a 2004 '61 or '62 vintage reissue...
    not sure how to narrow it down further.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  11. dub-setter

dub-setter Well-Known Member

pics ??

can be a so called "vintage"

12. DrBGood

Not much help if we can't see it. That was over 3 months ago. Not sure we'll get more info on this.

13. THRobinson

THRobinson New Member

It's from about 3 days ago, not 3 months. :)

I'll take a few pics and upload when I get home.

dub-setter and DrBGood like this.
  14. THRobinson

THRobinson New Member

Bit delayed but here are some pics... again... previous guy glued the neck on 1/8" out too far. The TOM stuff mounts seem odd like something inside them.

I like the colour, but enough scuffs and dings on it to not bother leaving as-is... I'll strip to wood and try my hand at Nitro Heritage Cherry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dub-setter likes this.
  15. dub-setter

dub-setter Well-Known Member

yap. thats a vintage...

neck break/loose seems not that worse from what i can see.

16. DrBGood

I confirm, an early 2000's Vintage. Neck seem to be glued rigth. Here's what an unbroken one looks like on mine.

Long tenon 1.jpg

Long tenon 2.jpg
    Yours look like it was revarnished with some of it flaking near the TOM inserts and wtih drips near the cutaway. No worries for any veneer if you want to strip/sand it, none on this one.

17. THRobinson

THRobinson New Member

Ya, I was happy to see what it was when I went and had a look.

I have a much more expensive Hagstrom I need to refinish and this would be good practice for it. Never used Nitro products before and now in Canada we finally have 2 companies that sell Nitro in spray cans. My big debate though is, Heritage Cherry? Natural Brown? Gloss? Satin?

I might go full batwing pickguard too... I know this was only a half-wing but I like the bigger one.

Hardest part of the restoration I think will be the headstock. Cutting the sides off, adding new and making it like a Gibson. Not changing the logo though.