How does the newest Standard compare..

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Gnairn23, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 Active Member

I agree that not having a hard case will affect sales, but I think the guitars are good enough for them still to fly of the shelves.
    The SG Standard is their most popular guitar going by sales. The guitar itself is brilliant so far, great tuning stability and the sound is absolutely brilliant.
    I got mine as part of a deal where I got a Gator SG case included basically for free. So I got the guitar with the soft case and a hard case for £1199. Not a bad deal!

Bettyboo likes this.
  2. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

I don't think Gibsons are expensive when compared to their closest "rival", say a Fender US standard/professional.

Screenshot 2020-01-26 at 23.29.34.png
    (Sweetwater)(I'm sure that Fender is a lovely guitar as well.)
    ^ same price, but you get a case, but no nitro, a thin poly finish. You gotta pay well over $2000 for a US Fender finished in nitro nowadays. Personally, I'd rather have the nitro finish and buy my own case of choice.

Funnily enough, I ordered up a Gator hardcase for my SG yesterday too, on sale at US$66.

3. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 Active Member

great betttyboo.
    Let us know how you get on with your Gator case!

4. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 Active Member

have you tried your case out yet Bettyboo?

5. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

No, it's a holiday in Korea now, so I won't get the case until the end of the week...

6. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 Active Member

2 weeks in a row of 30 minute playing a day, still not had to tune the guitar once.....sweeeeeet.

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Member

Courses for horses... I like thicker necks, and when I heard the new management SG had it, I had to try it and am not disappointed. My previous (2012) SG was slim taper and I could never get used to it after the baseball bat of my LP 50s neck. I'm a believer that thicker necks give better tone, but I know I'm on dangerous ground with statements like this. The guitar plays and sounds beautiful, I'm beginning to appreciate the 490 pups more as well.

Otherwise, the workmanship was...meh. Lacquer cracking round the nut, staining running into parts of the binding, and the nut did not give the appearance of being cleanly cut, although it functions perfectly well. None of these were deal breakers but still illustrates room for improvement in Gibson QC. And of course the soft shell case ain't gonna protect your guitar, no matter how "luxury" it is. Got myself a Gator.

8. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    I think you will always extract the best tone out of the guitar you feel most comfortable with, whatever that may be. As for Gibson's quality problems, they have been well documented here recently with dreadful neck attachment, but consistent quality is a matter of getting the process right. If you are going to rely on the whims of people trying hard (or not), or being craftsmen (god help us), then quality is always going to be a lottery. Hopefully Gibson can examine processes in fine detail, then understand what needs changing to guarantee the best possible outcome.

9. MikeT57

MikeT57 Member

Mine stays in tune just fine..... love it

10. SatansGwitar

SatansGwitar Member

Ditto, none of my three SG's ever go out of tune, and my '18 SG special which i take every where with me within its soft shell case which i love btw never goes out of tune and i play it alot every week for practice. My other two (2019 '61 reissue & early '19 Standard) i typically only record with but I don't baby them but they stay inside their hard cases mostly and rarely do I need to adjust tuning except that high e string on my '61 but i blame that on the ABR1 bridge. All good here!

11. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

This above quote just goes with some of ETSG's proverbs:

PLAY IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT

Internet fora are filled with posts by players who don't know anything
    but love to repeat whatever they heard someplace, so as to sound cool.

Internet fora are also inhabited by players who do know a thing or two
    The devil's in the difference, isn't it?

Anyway, Welcome to ETSG! Really the only person whose opinion means anything
    is you. That's why "play it before you buy it" is the correct answer. No one on an
    Internet forum knows anything about your music or your style. All we can do is
    tell you what we like. Maybe that's the answer you want, maybe not.

But if you play a variety of used and new SGs, you might find one that rings bells
    for you. That's how you know, IMHO...
    Me, if I can't get a guitar to stay in tune when I play it, I wouldn't buy it.
    Plenty of Gibson SGs stay in tune just fine, including my humble SG specials.
    April 06 polished@100.jpg
    so if you play before you buy, you can buy the one that comes alive in your hands
    disregarding year class, or decorations, or neck shape, or any other imaginary issue.
    You can also inspect for defects, so as to avoid the kind of unhappy posts we see from
    people who didn't bother to do that. That's how to find YOUR sg...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  12. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

I’ll clear up the mystery a wee bit; the necks are hand shaped by guitar players, for guitar players. So each one, being hand shaped comes out thicker or thinner than the next, and it’s something that can’t really be ruled out without taking the human touch out of the guitars.

And, I’ll also repeat Col Mustard‘s commonly spoken wisdom; try before you buy.

13. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

You can be very surprised with neck profiles (3 families).

2 SGs Standard don' t have the same neck, two SGs Special Faded don' t have the same neck, etc .

14. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 Active Member

I'am still enjoying mine, I've had it since September 2019 and it hasn't needed any repairs or trips to the luthier yet.
    That said, it isn't perfect, all guitars have flaws when you look closely.
    But all in all, I'am loving this SG Standard, I think the best part of the guitar is purely it sound, sensational!

15. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

that's good to hear.

I own two SG specials, one from '07 and one from '12.
    Both have worked their way into my heart and into my music.
    IMHO their tones are superb.

One of the best other attributes of the SG to me is playability.
    Of course that depends on setup. I am in the habit of taking
    my guitars to an excellent luthier soon after I buy them, and
    getting a thorough check over and setup done.

Once that's done and paid for, I find that I can keep them that way.
    I do know my way around a guitar. But I don't
    flatter myself that I can do as well as Dave Collins, my Luthier of choice.
    He's got some kinda magic touch.

And my first SG is still the Queen of my music room, twelve
    years after I brought the lady home. Every time I set back in
    her stand, or in her case, it's with the spoken or unspoken comment:
    "What a great guitar."
    Luna 3@100.jpg

16. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 Active Member

what I will say, though, is that my Gibson Les Paul Studio beats the SG for heavy metal music... something about the smaller distance between frets that allows for the faster more rapid still of music associated with metal.
    The SG is a rock god though, right at home with pentatonic aggression.