How is your 2015 Standard doing?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Neil from Ottawa Canada, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Neil from Ottawa Canada

Neil from Ottawa Canada Member

I bought a 2015 Standard in 2017 with the robot tuners upgraded. Love the wider neck, and it's probably the best sounding guitar I've had on 48 years of playing. It is still faultless. I had a Bigsby put on by a well-known Tech, and it's great although I have to tune up often. Hey back in the day I had to tune up between songs as did many other giggiing rockers. I had a new nut installed but the Tech didn't do what I asked...I asked for a custom cut to take advantage of the wider space at the nut. Anyway how is your 2015 holding up ? Loving those split 57s like I am?

arcticsg, papagayo and Didds like this.
  2. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

All 3 of my 2015 SG Standards are doing great!

[​IMG]

No complaints here! :smile:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  3. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

I love my 2015 SG Standard, with cool upgrades better guitar of the year ! [​IMG]

4. madhermit

madhermit New Member

I am glad people out there like the 2015. I was all set to get one in the cool burst colour they had that year. Got one in at the store I frequent, LOVED the way it looked. Tried to play it. Yikes.
    I am not one to complain about necks. I have all sorts from skinny to fat And I adjust to them easily, but I could not deal with the width of the 2015 neck. It was crazy uncomfortable for me.
    They were even throwing in a swap to regular tuners, but it was a no go.
    I ended up getting a 2018 Standard in Autumn Shade, so I got my SG itch scratched. Great guitar!
    Do the 2015’s go for low prices on the used market? If so, that’s pretty sweet if you like the neck.

5. catstudioguitars

catstudioguitars New Member

I havent seen as many 2015 on the used market as one would expect. I think people are kinda holding on to them as collectors items or there just really werent that many sold.

6. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Fantastic SG, I made some upgrades on mine, very close and better than a '61 RI imho.

SG Standard TBK 218.jpg

7. ozraves

ozraves New Member

I like the 2015 Gibsons and own an SG Standard and an SG Special. I like the zero fret nut but like the feel of the guitar more with the Tusq drop-in replacement.

I've bought a couple of 2015s with the tuners already switched out. One came with Sperzels and the other with Gibson Deluxe tuners. I would just say if you are thinking about ditching the Tronical tuners please go with one of the Hipshot open back locking tuner kits. You avoid drilling holes and they are better than the Gibson Deluxe or Sperzel. I'd say the Hipshot are slightly better in quality than Grover. Anyhow, put those Tronicals in a plastic bag and stow it in your guitar case in case you ever want them again. I would not change out the Tronicals unless I was anal about being really, really in-tune, played out live or recorded, or they started not working properly.