how long had you been playing?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by antz, Feb 17, 2010.

1. antz

antz Member

Silly question but I thought Id ask just out of curiousity!

How long had each of you been playing before you bought your first Gibson?

I only ask because I love them and really fancy a Special faded SG but I refuse entertain the GAS until I feel Ive got to a standard I think I deserve one and I can justify spending that amount of money (I still suck ;D)

2. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

I've been playing acoustic since about 1973.... you do the math. :)

Didn't get myself an electric till a little over a year ago and it was an Epiphone G400. Is that close enough to a Gibson SG?

3. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

antz, I started playing guitar and bass about 1969/70 or so, and I bought my first Gibson, a used LGO small body acoustic, in 1971 and was hooked. Got my second Gibson a year later, a 335; got an SG by 1974. I always loved the feel of the necks, the sound, the whole vibe. I never bought a new one, though, always used.

If you have the bucks get it NOW - the prices won't get better, the supply of wood is limited, and that Special faded is a lot of USA made guitar for the money. You will enjoy learning on a nice guitar and your playing will improve as a result.

4. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

1964 here. :-X

5. Blackie

Blackie Active Member

Don't fall for that type of thinking.......oh I am not good enogh

for a quality guitar............Get a Gibson and just having it will
    make you play more and thus become more accomplished.

if not you can get most of your dough back........

6. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

My brother gave me a nylon string acoustic when I was 8. I learned a few little things on it, but not much. Fast forward to age 24 or so, I started picking it up more seriously. First got a real cheap "Sebova" hollowbody from a thrift store for like $25. Not long after, I bought my 1991 SG Special from a kid in the neighborhood who wanted money to buy Guess Jeans! ;D Got the guitar and a Crate Valvestate amp for $300. Never looked back. Within a year I had been in my first band, bought a JCM 800, and quit the band 'cause they weren't very good and I wanted to get better. I still have that SG, going on 19 years!

That SG was a huge step up from the thrift store guitar. Sounded good, way easier to play, and I grew into it. Hell, it is still better than me!

7. AxRab

AxRab Member

Got my first Guitar which was a Lyle SG in 1969-70, I dont know that I knew what a Gibson was at the time, but I damn sure knew what an SG was and thats what I wanted because Carlos, Pete and Robbie all played one.

My first Gibson was a 1972 SG I think I got around 1980ish....., after that I was hooked and have owned an SG every since.

8. mikeystool

mikeystool Well-Known Member

acoustic in like 81'....various cheapo electrics, like a Montero LP copy, a Hondo...86 a Yamaha, which i still have rotting in our old houses basement, i should save it :roll:...then i got more serious in 95, and got a strat...2005 my 1st SG...

9. nynvolt

nynvolt Member

Been "plinking" around with Guitar since maybe 1988. I have had enough cheap and unpleasant to play guitars to have bough a Gibson LONG ago plus a decent amp. Bought my first Gibson in 2005 (I think) a SG faded special, then a SG standard in 2008. I'm not dedicated enough to be good but enjoy playing them. I think having a nice guitar to play is a big advantage, you tend to play more often and longer because they are such a joy to play.

I don't subscribe to the notion your guitar should be crap until you can justify the cost with your ability. If you dig playing you will only enjoy it more with a quality instrument.

10. John J

John J Active Member

I got my first guitar as a Christmas present in 1964. It was a cheap copy of a Fender Mustang. Gemtone was the name. At the time I was taking lessons from a guy who was really good. He worked out of a music store that he was a partial owner of. They were the local Gibson dealer. After about 15 or so months of walking by all those beautiful new Gibson guitars every Wed. evening, I finally convinced my parents to let me buy my SG. I had been working during the summer months bailing hay for a farmer. Nasty job. On Fri. & Sat. nights I washed dishes in a restaurant for money. I bought that SG Special in the spring of 1966. I still have it.

11. Tenafly Viper

Tenafly Viper Member

30 years, still terrible.

12. AxRab

AxRab Member

[quote author=Tenafly Viper link=topic=20409.msg246471#msg246471 date=1266506552]
    30 years, still terrible.
    [/quote]

Yeah, 40 for me and I'm at best at about a 3 year level, but I can play 3 chords just as good as anybody else.........

JohnJ, lets see a pic of yer old SG!

13. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

[quote author=AxRab link=topic=20409.msg246475#msg246475 date=1266513595]
    Yeah, 40 for me and I'm at best at about a 3 year level, but I can play 3 chords just as good as anybody else.........
    [/quote]

Let me guess..... G, C, and D. That's the three I know. :)

14. antz

antz Member

wow its nice to get some varied replies!!!!

I do love my Epi SG but my mate let me have a go on his Gibson and it just felt so lush in my hands and the sounds was way better than my Epi (my Epi was set up professionally and his Gibson is still as it came out the box!)

I just cant afford to pay £600 for a new one and since I bought my Epi only about 6 months ago and recently built a Squier strat with a humbucker (which is not to my liking) I think ill have to get saving ;D

15. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

I started playing in 1969.

I bought my first big name guitar a '74 Fender Statocaster in 1977.

These '70s strats doesn't sound like the '50s-'60s models. I thought it was just my playing ability. So general lack of interest and my playing didn't develop and until I bought a Gibson Flying V 2004 (well a family, Uni, and buying a house my have had something to do with it). The flying V only piqued my interest.

I've always wanted an SG but didn't get one until 2007. I love my SG's, playing better than ever in a gigging band. Wish I bought an SG or '60s strat back the 1977. :cry:

16. steve.ski

steve.ski New Member

Started in 1982 so 27 years, but with many gaps...

I started playing a clunky nylon Stella Harmony acoustic when I was 10 or 11, and never really hit it hard. Just plunked around mostly. I played a few Judas Priest songs, learned some licks and had fun but I put it down for years. A few years later, I found the guitar again in a closet, restrung it and replaced the bridge. Played just for kicks now and then, but nothing serious.

Fast forward to about 1-1/2 years ago. My then 6 year old son found the guitar and showed some interest, trying to rock out with 4 strings!! I asked him if he wanted to learn and he replied yes so we went to guitar center, got some strings, and he really put some effort in.

I spoke with my wife and we agreed that it was time for some music in the house. So, I bought acoustic and electric guitars for my 6 and 4 year old boys and they were OVER THE FRIGGIN MOON excited! Of course I needed to play along with them, so I bought a Schecter C1+ and an amp. The boys and I started playing together, started taking lessons, my youngest is now on a full drumset, and we're having an amazing time together!!!

I'm still not what one would consider a very good player and I'm now a complete gearwhore, but best of all is that it's another way for me to I'm spend time with my children. Hell, even my 3 year old daughter jams with us on her little keyboard!

My 7 year old son is really quite good for his age, and my 5 year old can do some really good beats and fills on his drums. They have their lesson tonight, I suppose I should take sone photos of them playing?

Sorry for the drawn out post here. SGs rock, my best playing guitar for sure...

17. happy_tom

happy_tom Active Member

Steve, that's a really nice story :)

My dad is actually a well respected classical guitar techer, but it just never worked out - at 13 I took up drums instead becouse I thought it'll take less time to learn ho to play'em (wrong!) ;D I did learn a few chords, and that was it.

And then, at the age of 17 I discovered the magic of the allmighty barre chord! Bought myself a yamaha pacifica and actually did practice semi-regualrly for about 1,5 year. Then it was back to my true love, drumming.

Ten years later, I thought - that's enough, I always wanted an sg, and I got one (an epi, but a SG nonetheless).
    That made all the difference; unlike yamaha, this guitar does scream out to be played and loved, and I probably made more progress in the past 3 months than in i did in the past 10 years - still I don't consider myself a guitarist by any means, but hey - if you have fun with it, that's all the reason you need to own a guitar! ;)

18. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

[quote author=steve.ski link=topic=20409.msg246487#msg246487 date=1266527885]
    ........ but best of all is that it's another way for me to I'm spend time with my children.
    [/quote]

...... and I promise you (coming from a Dad with a 26 & 31 year old) they will never forget the special time you spent with them and you will never ever regret it.

Keep on rockin' :rockin:

19. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=John J link=topic=20409.msg246462#msg246462 date=1266503682]
    . I had been working during the summer months bailing hay for a farmer. Nasty job. On Fri. & Sat. nights I washed dishes in a restaurant for money. I bought that SG Special in the spring of 1966. I still have it.
    [/quote]

John, what a good investment that turned out to be! ;)

20. John J

John J Active Member

[quote author=AxRab link=topic=20409.msg246475#msg246475 date=1266513595]

JohnJ, lets see a pic of yer old SG!
    [/quote] AxRab, I'm an idiot when it comes to computer stuff. I did post some pics that aren't very good about a year or so ago. It took me so long to do that I won't even try again. I'll tell you where they are though. Last I looked it was on page 32 of this thread. The post is titled 66 special pics. It is topic=18521.0 One of the moderators had to fix them for me because when I posted them they were huge.[quote author=dbb link=topic=20409.msg246512#msg246512 date=1266557602]
    John, what a good investment that turned out to be! ;)
    [/quote] No kidding. The enjoyment factor alone was worth more than the $225 that thing cost in 66. As far as value in $, I think I could make a couple bucks on it if I sold it. After almost 44 years though I doubt I could part with it.