how long had you been playing?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by antz, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I started playing in mid sixties, using an old Gibson ES 125 my dad bought in a pawn
    shop. I bought my own cheapo electric when he said I couldn't take his Gibson to
    college in 66. But when I got to Ann Arbor, I traded the Japanese electric in on a
    Gibson Acoustic. Both of the Gibsons where later stolen from me, (sob...)

So I played acoustic six and electric bass for decades, always with the image of the Gibson
    SG in my mind as one of the coolest icons of those days. I bought myself a Faded Special
    in 2008 as a prize for turning sixty. And lo and behold, just having it has given me so much inspiration and enthusiasm, that my playing has gotten way better. You can teach
    an old dog new tricks, especially if the old dog is willing. That's what I wanted anyway...
    that business about getting set in your ways when you're older is no joke.

So now I too am a total tone hound, gear head, gizmo geek. I don't believe you should wait for your playing to get better... get your SG now, sell your unsatisfactory guitars for whatever you can get for them, and let the Gibbie give you the inspiration to persevere. Buy a used one & fix it as you go, if funds are short.

good luck

2. Laney1566

Laney1566 Member

In short. I had been playing 3 years when I got my first Gibson...A Sonex 180 Deluxe. Interesting guitar it was.

3. hans

hans New Member

Started playing in '83 - bought my first Gibson ('80 LP Deluxe) in '91, so eight years.

4. IommiSG

IommiSG Member

1976 for me. A friend with whom I worked was a guitar player, and I started going with him to his band rehearsals. He offered to teach me, and loaned me an old Kay from the back of his closet, with action measured in feet rather than fractions of an inch...

That guitar was virtually unplayable, but I was absolutely determined, so I went to the local music store and picked up a '66 ES 335. I was a total RUSH freak, and the first nite I took the guitar to my friend's house for a lesson, I asked to learn the RUSH tune, Bastille Day. He showed me, but chuckled because the song has pretty fast chord changes for a beginner, and said that when I could get thru that, it would be a good indicator I was on my way. I came back the next weekend, and was blowing thru the song well enough to impress the teacher. A few months later, I was both thrilled and mortified when I was asked to join his band. I literally learned how to do new things as I learned each song in the set. Looking back, I know that was a very privileged way to learn, as I was playing with guys far more advanced than myself, and the band situation pushed me very hard to learn.

The 335? One of those "one that got away" stories. Of course, at the time, it was just a ten year old guitar, and I think I paid something like $495 for it. I've never lost my affection for 335's and have 2 in my collection at present, and they get abused with old RUSH tunes to this day. I'm 56, and still playing classic prog, metal, and hard rock primarily, with my favorite era being the 70's..

I never regretted buying a quality guitar on which to learn. That guitar was inspirational, and continually challenged me to pick it up and make music.

5. antz

antz Member

loving these stories guys!!!!!

Im only 21 and started playing about a year ago but had tried previously when I was about 14. I only stuck at it four months but we still managed to form a full band and play a gig! But the band fell apart and I lost interest. Picked it up last year and admitedly Ive been trough a few guitars in the last year finding what I liked.

Eventually settled on a Epi SG vintage which I bought brand new ast August and can be seen in the Epiphone room (Finally got myself an SG) and I still do love it. Yes its chinese made and I can tell because the input falls out constantly and all the screws for the backing plate have rounded off and are now held in with huge wood screws to get it to stay on and the back of the enck has a flat spot behind the 3rd fret ha ha ha....but i do love it.

I keep remembering the night me and my mate were jamming at my house and he let me have a go on his Gibson SG Special though. It was a magical moment. It felt worlds apart from the Epi. It melted in my hands and felt so easy to play compared to the Epi. It weighed nothing, the neck didnt dip like my Epi and I really didnt want to give it back!!!!

Now I want my own but I dont have the £599 to buy a new one and cant find a second hand one thats not asking new prices :roll:

TIME TO GET SAVING!!!!!

6. mrk

mrk Active Member

Started playing in '76 - bought my first Gibson, an SG II, the next year for $200. Traded it a year later for an EB-3 - I'd come to the realization I had more Jack Bruce in me than Buck Dharma. I've been a sucker for SGs ever since. In the last year I've taken on 3 separate Epi G400 repair projects. My latest, when finished, will probably go about as far as an Epiphone can or should realistically be taken for features/quality. I'll post pics once I start routing holes and replacing parts.

MRK

7. sneakerpimp

sneakerpimp Member

i got my first SG, a much used one, five years after i started playing, but my first guitar was a then-new '89 Fender American Standard Strat... not because i'm rich, that was because of a settlement received after an auto accident. (actually i did have a $30 acoustic for about six months before getting the strat.)

20+ years later i still suck--i mostly play power chords, rhythm and some EASY soloing.

but i do have a great appreciation for the history of music and instruments and don't care what people think about 'earning' an instrument. i may be a gear wh0re but at least i'm not a gear hoard: i only have 1 guitar, 1 amp and a handful of effects.

8. shred_bringer

shred_bringer New Member

I started playing when I was 8, got my first Gibson when I was 17.

9. uyasgali

uyasgali Member

I started playing the guitar in 1964 when I bought a Silvertone electric and a Kay amplifier for $40. I picked up a Hohner acoustic a few years later but finally got hold of a Gibson Hummingbird (1963) in 1975. I still have it ... :)

10. antz

antz Member

[quote author=sneakerpimp link=topic=20409.msg246535#msg246535 date=1266621298]

i may be a gear wh0re but at least i'm not a gear hoard: i only have 1 guitar, 1 amp and a handful of effects.
    [/quote]

Love that quote!!!!

I have two guitars, two amps and one pedal. If I could get any decent price for one amp and one guitar Id sell them but they arent worth anything to sell so instead they act as furniture of loan instruments when friends come over a jam.

11. IommiSG

IommiSG Member

I'm curious.. where is the cutoff line that loses one the obvious moral high-ground of only owning 1 or 2 guitars?
    3-4, less than 5, only 2?

I've always associated the term "hoard" with taking more than one's fair share of something, leaving others to make do with less....like being at the dinner table, piling your plate and not leaving enough food for everyone else.

I guess I've never understood the mentailty of begrudging people for what they own, even if they've managed to amass more assets than myself. I don't see how that is any less petty than the suggestion that one must earn the right, beyond being able to pay for, a good guitar. Please enlighten me.

12. SGdad

SGdad New Member

I started playing a week about two weeks ago. I started so I could play with my kid. My kid has an SG Standard and treated myself to a Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro. I got the ebony one and it's pretty sweet. I've been going through one of the books my kid started with and have been playing around learning a few notes. I'm gonna get set up with some lessons and really start playing soon...

13. antz

antz Member

[quote author=IommiSG link=topic=20409.msg246555#msg246555 date=1266710148]
    I'm curious.. where is the cutoff line that loses one the obvious moral high-ground of only owning 1 or 2 guitars?
    3-4, less than 5, only 2?

I've always associated the term "hoard" with taking more than one's fair share of something, leaving others to make do with less....like being at the dinner table, piling your plate and not leaving enough food for everyone else.

I guess I've never understood the mentailty of begrudging people for what they own, even if they've managed to amass more assets than myself. I don't see how that is any less petty than the suggestion that one must earn the right, beyond being able to pay for, a good guitar. Please enlighten me.
    [/quote]

good point and a valid argument that one!

Personally in my own eyes, you can only have too many guitars if you dont use them or show them on the wall in some fashion. If they sit in cases never to see the world then whats the point in having it?....i dont see the point in having all these lovely instruments going to waste.

If its being displayed with pride or all used in rotation then heck, have as many as you want!

If I had the money, space and my own place Id have a wall of guitars on display and I can guarantee there would be at least 10 on it all used in rotation ;D

14. mikeystool

mikeystool Well-Known Member

i only want MORE guitars....i want backups for my backups backups...and more amps, and more backup amps for my backups.... :Droolin:

15. bananhunden

bananhunden Member

I started when i was 20 on a cheap Behringer strat with strings so high I could walk under them and frets sharp enough to cut the palm of my hand.

My thought was, if I show some good progress I'll buy a proper guitar later.

I did and an a year later I bought my dream guitar: An ebony Standard SG. YAY!!!

I'm 27 now and have a collection of guitars ranging from strats to a nice handful of SG's both new and vintage but my favourite guitar is still, by far, my first SG :-)

16. Laney1566

Laney1566 Member

[quote author=antz link=topic=20409.msg246572#msg246572 date=1266744251]
    good point and a valid argument that one!

Personally in my own eyes, you can only have too many guitars if you dont use them or show them on the wall in some fashion. If they sit in cases never to see the world then whats the point in having it?....i dont see the point in having all these lovely instruments going to waste.

If its being displayed with pride or all used in rotation then heck, have as many as you want!

If I had the money, space and my own place Id have a wall of guitars on display and I can guarantee there would be at least 10 on it all used in rotation ;D
    [/quote]

I would never judge anyone based on the number of guitars they own, unless it becomes a distraction for them. Or if it creates a learning problem. You know...Blaming the guitar for things that only practice can fix. It tends to come from jealousy that those remarks are made anyway. In my 20's I used to dream of guitars and often found myself jealous of others. It has only been in my later years that I have had the $$$ to aquire the guitars I wanted. Life is funny that way. Time and hard work and CHOICES determine these things...Not jealousy. NOW......I do admit to considering 1 thing in the music world a HIGH CRIME. Busting a perfectly good guitar on purpose...Never got that. Owning alot of guitars...Heck, that can make you more creative and inspired!!

17. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

I would agree with the more the merrier. However, I would also agree with the post stating that more is better as long as you play them all. Don't put 'em on the shelf, outa sight outa mind. I have the same feeling towards a classic car. It's meant to be driven not to be a garage queen. Besides, how does one get their testosterone fix (assuming that person is male) without showing off their pride and joy (car) or prides and joys (multiple guitars)? :)

18. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=Laney1566 link=topic=20409.msg246595#msg246595 date=1266859632]

I would never judge anyone based on the number of guitars they own, unless it becomes a distraction for them. Or if it creates a learning problem. You know...Blaming the guitar for things that only practice can fix.
    [/quote]

Ha ha ha right on!

For me it really is this...do you have a lot of guitars to use or are you a collector (that usually can't play anyway) but buys rare instruments for ego reasons and is responsible for driving the price up on many models?
    Please understand this is not a judgement based on one's playing - rather on the intent behind collecting. To use the guitars as musical tools or just to show off.....

19. mikeystool

mikeystool Well-Known Member

i own like a handfull..i rotate them everyday, they all get a turn...sometimes i play them all in one day...if im buying something, its gonna be used...i dont have the money to buy eye candy..

20. IommiSG

IommiSG Member

I think all of us find the idea of the non-playing "investor collector" abhorant, because they target the truly rare and in short supply, and lock the instruments in a vault. Something tells me that we don't have any of those folks in the membership, and to a person, spank the guitars in our possession to the best of our abilities.

But I think because we find that "investor" concept so dissatisfactory, we give it too much press and credence, and perhaps, we're too quick to undeservedly associate that mentality with players who have managed to accrue a number of instruments/gear. The "investors" operate at the very top of the food chain, and in the world of guitars being bought and sold, represent a tiny minority. The few "collectors" that I know personally are guitar-obsessed players.

In any case, even if I felt it, I'd abstain from expressing ill will toward anyone for their possessions, whether material or otherwise, as I'm afraid that doing so would only speak to my own envy and jealousy. Once, while driving to pick up our transportation-challenged lead singer, the drummer in my band of the time made a statement that floored me. We were listening to a RUSH CD, and out of the blue, he said "I hate Neil Peart." His explanation? "I hate him because I can't play like that". You would have had to have known this guy, but he was as serious as a heart attack, and meant exactly what he said. The only dumbfounded response I could muster was; "Did you just say that out loud???"

Peace