how long had you been playing?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by antz, Feb 17, 2010.

1. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=IommiSG link=topic=20409.msg246623#msg246623 date=1266943474]
    We were listening to a RUSH CD, and out of the blue, he said "I hate Neil Peart." His explanation? "I hate him because I can't play like that". You would have had to have known this guy, but he was as serious as a heart attack, and meant exactly what he said. The only dumbfounded response I could muster was; "Did you just say that out loud???"

Peace
    [/quote]

That attitude is NOT cool! Better players are there to inspire you to practice, not hate!

2. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

[quote author=dbb link=topic=20409.msg246624#msg246624 date=1266944390]
    That attitude is NOT cool! Better players are there to inspire you to practice, not hate!
    [/quote]

No joke. I played trombone in HS and guitar now and I want to be Neil Peart. The man is an animal...... but in a different sense than Keith Moon. ;D

3. IommiSG

IommiSG Member

Yeah, Keith played with tremendous abandon, and Neil takes a more compositional approach, but both masters of their craft ;)

Sorry to the OP for wandering off the path here..

Some great stories came out of this thread, btw. Cheers!

4. antz

antz Member

Ive often said to people I HATE YOU! why? BECAUSE YOU ARE TOO GOOD!

I havent meant it and its always followed by everyone laughing (even the person told i hated them) Heaven forbid theyd rop dead. Its my way of saying 'Damn your good I really admire you and wish I had your talent!

5. Laney1566

Laney1566 Member

[quote author=iblive link=topic=20409.msg246629#msg246629 date=1266945956]
    No joke. I played trombone in HS and guitar now and I want to be Neil Peart. The man is an animal...... but in a different sense than Keith Moon. ;D
    [/quote]
    Well, Same here..lol
    Played Trombone from 5th grade up!!! The brass that can do bends.. :o)

6. StrattKatt

StrattKatt New Member

Hi everyone...new to the forums! I started playing guitar in 1990. My wife acquired an old Pan SG copy from her boss and I took lessons on it for a while until I lost it in a pawn shop. I've seen it a time or two over the years and if I do see it again I'll be picking it up! Anyway, I've always just loved Fenders. I had a G&L, currently have a Strat and a really cool Godin Solidac dual voice guitar. I've played a few Les Paul's over the years and although I loved the tone, I never liked the feel and weight of them. So never really been much of a Gibson fan. However, I have very recently acquired a 1973 or 74 SG from a friend of mine. After getting it set up, and messing around with it, it is now my favorite guitar! The sound and feel of this guitar is phenomenal! Of course, I'm not telling you guys anything you don't already know.

7. mikeystool

mikeystool Well-Known Member

[quote author=StrattKatt link=topic=20409.msg246658#msg246658 date=1267045677]
    Hi everyone...new to the forums! I started playing guitar in 1990. My wife acquired an old Pan SG copy from her boss and I took lessons on it for a while until I lost it in a pawn shop. I've seen it a time or two over the years and if I do see it again I'll be picking it up! Anyway, I've always just loved Fenders. I had a G&L, currently have a Strat and a really cool Godin Solidac dual voice guitar. I've played a few Les Paul's over the years and although I loved the tone, I never liked the feel and weight of them. So never really been much of a Gibson fan. However, I have very recently acquired a 1973 or 74 SG from a friend of mine. After getting it set up, and messing around with it, it is now my favorite guitar! The sound and feel of this guitar is phenomenal! Of course, I'm not telling you guys anything you don't already know.
    [/quote]im a longtime strat guy too.. but, now.......im in SG Land....youll learn a lot here about these beauties... 8)

8. steve.ski

steve.ski New Member

[quote author=antz link=topic=20409.msg246572#msg246572 date=1266744251]
    good point and a valid argument that one!

Personally in my own eyes, you can only have too many guitars if you dont use them or show them on the wall in some fashion. If they sit in cases never to see the world then whats the point in having it?....i dont see the point in having all these lovely instruments going to waste.

If its being displayed with pride or all used in rotation then heck, have as many as you want!

If I had the money, space and my own place Id have a wall of guitars on display and I can guarantee there would be at least 10 on it all used in rotation ;D
    [/quote]

I have a few guitars, none of them super expensive, and I play all of them on a regular basis. When I practice I prefer to play on each different style of guitar (SG, Les Paul, hollowbody, Strat, etc) because they all give a slightly different feel and tone. None of my guitars sit in the case unplayed, they are all hanging on the wall or on a stand. Hell I even pick up my kids' 3/4 scales just for fun.

I also have 4 amps so if the mood strikes I can jam with my kids or friends. Some of the best times have been having a few beers in my office/studio playing easy songs with 2 or 3 others.

I've found that the correct number of guitars, motorcycles, TVs, etc is up to the individual.