How Many Of You Guys Really Use "Whammy Bars"??

Discussion in 'General Music' started by guitarweasel, Aug 15, 2008.

1. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

Come on, fess up. Either Floyd Rose or Mastro, how many REALLY get into them?

2. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I have them and use them but only sparingly. More fun to do it fooling around than in a band situation for me. ymmv.

3. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

I love my Floyd Rose.  I'd say on average I use it 5-6 times a song.  Sometimes for a bit of extra vibrato on a riff or I'll incorporate dives and squeals into my riffs, and when I'm soloing I'll often end solos by picking up the guitar by the bar.  I think I've watched too many Steve Vai videos. ;D

4. TNT

TNT Active Member

I like to use the Vibrola for jazz-type stuff at times but the Twin Reverb has a wicked vibrato of its own...

5. guitarweasel

I should probably add that I use one as well, I hate the Floyds ( even though they do work when set up right) I love the one on my Strat, that thing never goes out of tune.....well almost.

6. SG dan

SG dan Active Member

yeah i'd be fine without one. I have one stuck to my strat, but thats not my gigging guitar and the bar just ends up getting used for kicks n giggles.

7. 1Way

1Way Active Member

I like em a lot, but I still haven’t installed my Bigsby (horse shoe) B5 trem. However I did install the roller bridge so I’m ready for the trem as soon as I make up my mind exactly how I’m going to approach the modified trem install. I need it modified because I want it placed as close to the bridge as possible, and yet without a drastic string break angle, hence the need for the modification.

Had a pro flyer Floyd Rose on my Gibson Explorer that I owned for about 18 years. Didn’t use it a lot but I always used it on Heart's “Barracuda” lead and really miss it when playing that song on a hard tale like my SG Std.

So yes, I use whammy, especially after I get it installed. :roll:

8. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

I like to stand in front of my full stack with the Soldano SLO gain at about 9.

Work the wammy on my Strat and never have to touch the strings. just dive it and vibrato it almost to silence and then let it build again.

The neighbor hates it at 3:00AM in the morning ......he he he he ;D

9. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

They are an absolute must for the live version of "Smoke On The Water" and "Eruption" EVH.......... They are fun to play with if you have an imagination. 8)

10. madguitarsolo

madguitarsolo Active Member

I used to use the Floyd Rose on my old Ibanez quite a bit. I really over-used it when I first got it and it sounded awful, but when the novelty wore off I learnt how to use it effectively.

Try playing with quite a bit of gain, turn the vol on the guitar to zero, play a low string and increase the volume while pulling up the bar, then decrease vol again. If done right it sounds like a cow mooing. We used to mess about with Old Macdonald Had A Farm in practise and could make cow and horse noises with the FR.

11. Zeppelin Rules

Another good variation on that one is to turn the volume off and instead hit the 5th fret harmonic on the D and the 7th fret harmonic on the G and do the same volume swell sorta thing.

I learned a bunch of stupid tricks from Herman from Dragonforce.

[youtube]qtUiQJc7ZMI[/youtube]

12. 1Way

1Way Active Member

[quote author=Six String link=topic=17671.msg218068#msg218068 date=1218889030]
    They are an absolute must for the live version of "Smoke On The Water" and "Eruption" EVH.......... They are fun to play with if you have an imagination. 8)
    [/quote]
    Dang, now I'm getting all :dance: to install my Bigsby. I didn't realize "Smoke on the water" uses a whammy. Gotta give it a listen and learn.

I think I'm going to have to talk to a machine shop to see if the front bar could be modified, or else removed. I'd prefer it to be removed to provide the best near bridge position,,, but if it's removed, I would need to lower the whammy bar toward the guitar body by about an 1/8-3/16". The best solution is not easily surfacing, and I don't want to drill holes into my SG Std until I feel solid about the mod.
    :BangHead:

13. jetlag

jetlag Member

Never use any.
    If I get a new guitar with a whammy on it, first thing I do before doing anything is take it off, chuck it somewhere never to be seen again ;D

Well. I keep one in my bits-and-bobs box, but I never have the need for it.

Have been tempted to use one on my strat occasionally for a bit of Gilmour-style vibrato. But I don't think I can do it justice, so I don't bother.

14. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

How about the " Lizard down the throat trick " which is a Satriani thing where you slide your hand up any string, lower being easier to start, while lowerin the bar .... But, the catch is to keep the pitch the same the whole time while in sync ... between the right and left hands :roll: or was it left and right? [​IMG]

15. 1Way

1Way Active Member

;D
    Always loved Voxman's sense of humor.
    Leave it up to Satch. Awesome technician.
    As for me, it's all I can do wigglin with one hand.

:p

16. Constellation80

Constellation80 Member

What kinda floyd rose is on the dragon forces guys guitar? Im absolutly shocked that after all that it's still in tune. Not to mention the springs, and the strings.
    I'm surewith my luck, if i tried that. The whammy bar, would break off in the trem block lolol

17. Zeppelin Rules

[quote author=Constellation80 link=topic=17671.msg218143#msg218143 date=1218954860]
    What kinda floyd rose is on the dragon forces guys guitar? Im absolutly shocked that after all that it's still in tune. Not to mention the springs, and the strings.
    I'm surewith my luck, if i tried that. The whammy bar, would break off in the trem block lolol
    [/quote]

He uses an Ibanez trem, either a ZR or a lo TRS depending on the guitar. I have an OFR and it stays in tune great regardless of how crazy I go with it.

18. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

What's a whammy bar?

19. guitarweasel

[quote author=SG John link=topic=17671.msg218390#msg218390 date=1219270343]
    What's a whammy bar?
    [/quote]

nuff said! ;D

20. madguitarsolo

madguitarsolo Active Member

[quote author=Zeppelin Rules link=topic=17671.msg218245#msg218245 date=1219121159]
    He uses an Ibanez trem, either a ZR or a lo TRS depending on the guitar. I have an OFR and it stays in tune great regardless of how crazy I go with it.
    [/quote]

[​IMG]

That was mine, but I can't remember what it was. I believe it was ZR, but I don't know about OFR. Does anyone know?