how much computer.....

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by skidshark, Mar 6, 2005.

1. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

how much computer do you really need (cpu,ram, etc) to record and mix decent audio? i'm thinking of getting a used laptop to travel with and that would be the best time for me to work on some of this....

2. Sgmaniac

Sgmaniac Guest

Any Pentium based system will work fine. Hell, I used to record on a 486, hahahahaha. :lol: 8)

3. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

hehee..i remember those!! actually my first computer was a vic20...it had a cassette tape for a harddrive!! then came the commodore...etc..etc...!

never even attempted on those tho-!!!

4. ess

ess Guest

depends if ya multitracking.

i got a 2.53 p4 512 ram :? here and it starts to stumble when i get over say 5 tracks or so at about 3 mins.,

easily remedied tho. just render them all down.. (like merge in Pshop :wink: and start again, with 1 track.

5. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

you can you save copies of the tracks before you merge just in case right ess?

i'm wanting to get the minimum i need to still be able to...say lay some lead down on a track you've recorded the backings on....

anyone use a docking station with their laptops?

6. Sgmaniac

Sgmaniac Guest

Ess, you should be able to record 16 tracks easy with that system. You have some other issue going on. A second hard drive is a good idea, and only use it to record on, works great. 8)

7. ess

ess Guest

yup skids., on wavelab4 (lab) :lol: sure.,. save the whole montage, all saveable.

yup , be cool to have another HD SGm. got an 80g, so got some room here. its more like the RAM i reckon, data handling. can alter the "drop out" to a degree in prefs. workin with wavs dont help i spose. some single tracks are like 50 meg and more. less hassle with 128 mp3.

8. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

cool ess.... 8)

9. ronalr

ronalr Member

I just got a Pentium 4 3ghz with 1 gig of ram and 160 gig hard drive.

that should handle all my mistakes!!!

10. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

hmmmm....it's gonna be hard to find out what the minimum really is isn't it.... :cry: :wink: 8)

11. sgSter

sgSter Member

The more Ram, the better for any pc application.

12. Guitar3dt

Guitar3dt Member

i really recommend at least 512 mb of RAM, but if you can swing it, 1 gig is the way to go. any more than 1 gig is kinda overkill (you won't really notice)

256mb, bare minimum.

processor is important, but not like ram. just stay away from Celeron's and you'll do just fine processor-wise. I really recommend Pentium 4's that support hyperthreading. it's absolutely amazing for stuff like this.

Ess, you definitely can swing more than 5 tracks EASY! maybe try a different bit o software? I really recommend Cool Edit Pro 2. I've been real happy with it. Gave Skids a copy too. also, I usually keep my tracks in .wav form too because of the quality. mp3 source tracks actually run slower due to the additional time needed to decode them.

13. ess

ess Guest

ta 3 , i got cubase sx here too, but having a hard time working it. thats got allsorts of goodies in it, 7 1 surround too, so i spose in theory its possible to pan around ya head like some kinda rotary thing? not sure.

yep need to look into the track amount fer sure. the shorter the tracks obviously more can be fitted in untill it drops out.

:arrow: :D

14. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

man i wish i could just go get an apple and be done with it.... :x

but you know how them mac guys are!! apps for PC can be had....but mac software is hard to come by on the slide!! i've heard the xeons process graphics alot the same way...but a moot point. i gotta get a laptop for work, and laptop stuff is so much more expensive. i'll see what i can get and i'll let you know how it goes!

maybe if i learned to manage the computers resources to focus on the task at hand i could get by with less? ess maybe your computer is trying to do stuff in the background and using up your resources??

15. Guitar3dt

Guitar3dt Member

skids, if you're lookin' for power, a desktop is really the only way to go. laptops just will not cut it. however, they're sure a bit easier to carry, eh? it all balances out.

mac's......everything a mac can do, a pc can do as well. (can you tell I'm a pc guy?) mac's may have been better at one point, but with Windows XP there really is no added benefit.......plus, pc's are cheaper. more bang for the buck!

16. ess

ess Guest

skids RE: background process.

yup could be , ive tried hitting it, but no improvement yet.

17. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

hmmmm...maybe remove everything from the start menu before recording? i dunno, i've read about it but at the time the workstation was up and it wasn't a concern...workstation blows up and now i'm on this old pavilion jobby.....aaaargghh!! gotta get that mama fixxed!

thing is, the best time for me to concentrate on recording will be my weekends in Ga., and i need a laptop for that job anyway, so i want to kill 2 birds so to speek...

18. Guitar3dt

Guitar3dt Member

Ess, you might be havin' issues with spyware. That'll bog you down like you wouldn't believe.

I use this at work all the time. Try Ad-aware.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com

It's free too.

19. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

Try the new beta anti-spyware from Microsoft. I used Adaware and Search and Destroy. the new product from MS found 50 more and 218 registry entries they didn't find.

Now I just use the MS product.

20. Guitar3dt

Guitar3dt Member

i've heard some good things about that......i've been meaning to check it out.