how much computer.....

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by skidshark, Mar 6, 2005.

1. ess

ess Guest

thanks for the tips dudes.

i shudder to think whats lurkin in there.. cant be much tho,,, recent format etc. but ya never know. :evil:

cheers!

2. bscepter

bscepter Member

I've got a great anti-spyware product (I've never had a single occurence)... it's called a a Macintosh!

I'm in and out of recording studios all the time for work. Virtually every one I've been to runs ProTools or Cubase on a Mac. And with the Mac Mini, they're no longer "expensive." (Though, they never really were)

This isn't flamebait -- I'm just proposing another alternative! :lol:

3. Guitar3dt

Guitar3dt Member

i have no issues with spyware, and i run a PC. you just gotta know what to avoid. if you go around clicking yes without reading all the time, you're doomed.

pc's are getting a little bit better with spyware help. firefox is getting huge all over the place these days. i'm not much of a fan of Firefox. I find it extremely limiting as to what it can do, which is the reason it's is so helpful to the average user. it removes the possibility of installing such spyware, therefore keeping it to a minimum. however, productivity is lost and replaced with such key features as a "google toolbar" and "tabbed windows."

anyway, my point is (point?.....where?!) firefox has already become a target for spyware and viruses and flaws have already been found and exploited. the only reason for that is because it's gotten so big and drawn so much attention.

as soon as the mac gets big enough to warrant attacks, it will get them.

i hate these damn spyware people!

4. bscepter

bscepter Member

Actually, do to fundamental differences in the architecture, OSX is far more secure. For one, it requires admin access for any root-level action. I don't doubt that one day some smart cracker will exploit a flaw in the system, but it really is much, much harder to do on a Mac than on a PC -- witness the hacking contests that have been held. When big money is involved, the "security through obscurity" myth doesn't apply.

I was a long-time PC user (my wife still is) and I agree -- if you're smart, you shouldn't have too many problems. Our PC laptop is virus and spyware free at the moment. In all honesty, the reason I like the mac has more to do with its elegance than anything.

To each his (or her) own, I guess!

5. Guitar3dt

Guitar3dt Member

yea, i've dabbled with macs a bit, but really, not too much to give them a fair chance.

i've been trying to give linux a whirl lately too, but really I'm a Windows guy. it's hard to try and learn something else after using Windows for so long.

Windows XP works the same way where you need Administrative access to do anything truly horrible, but the problem is, nobody acknowledges that and people leave themselves as the administrator account. it's not their fault, it's that Windows hardly brings it to the average users attention!

6. bscepter

bscepter Member

True, and anybody who opens a .vbs attachment deserves what they get!

7. Guitar3dt

Guitar3dt Member

if you would like to not maybe un-uninstall the web search toolbar, please click the "approve disapproval of uninstallation" button.

8. MainFrame185

MainFrame185 Member

Skids,

Sorry I missed your original post, or I'd have posted a reply before now. If you want to use Windows XP, and I highly recommend you do,make sure the laptop has at least a 733Mhz PIII CPU and 250MB of RAM. Less than that and it will run real doggy, regardless of the "Minimum" hardware requirements on the box. If you use the minimum requirements then you'll get minimum performance. The good news is that you can pick up a used laptop w/ those specs for under $300. You'll want a CD burner for sure too.

Hope this helps...

9. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

exactly what i was lookin for mainman!! and the price is about right too....good news for skids!

thanks much mainframe!! :wink:

10. Guitar3dt

Guitar3dt Member

hey skids, if at all possible, i'd at least upgrade the ram on that to 512mb. don't let the amount of ram sway your purchase though, because it's always easily upgraded afterwards.

also, i'd definitely recommend at least 1ghz. like mainframe said, it's not that it won't run with the lesser specs, it'll just make your experience much more pleasant.........trust me!

11. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

I somehow missed this thread, too.

I am in studios alot, a whole lot. They are mostly macs with Pro Tools HD systems...but who can afford that??!!:)

I did about a years research before I upgraded my old at home studio. I am now using a laptop for portability and a MOTU 828MKII, using Sonar3 Producer for multitracking and Wavelab for wave editing and mastering work. My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite 3.2ghz, 512MB of RAM, 17" widescreen, I use a 7200RPM 120 Gig external USB hard drive. That's important because laptop drives are slow spinning. With this setup I'm getting 30 tracks EASY with my Waves Platinum plugins doing some work, too. I try to limit reverbs to one on an aux buss cause they take up alot of processing. And this is the way it would be done in a real studio anyways. But I am more than happy with my laptop recording setup. I also haven't needed to upgrade the memory yet. I had planned to, but it does everything I need right now so I will hold off as long as possible. The little song I posted here was done on my laptop, just for a refrence.

I can also dump an omf file from Sonar on my laptop and pull it up in Pro Tools pretty easily. I lose all my plugins and levels, but that changes when you're on a good system anyways. It enables me to use the good stuff, while saving time and $$ by doing prelim work on songs at home.

I'll recommend a place for those of you interested in recording at home. http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/ I have been a member there for several years. it's a great resource for people wanting to learn all about recording at home. And I always shoot them this way for SG info, so it's an even trade off. :)

H2H

12. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

thanky too h2h!

13. bscepter

bscepter Member

Thanks, Hard2Hear -- great info!