How to deal with lowballers ...

pancake81

Reaction score
I admit, I am not usually in a hurry to buy something, and will often approach with an offer. All that said, there is a respectable way, and threshold, to approach one with.

inwould never offer pennies on the dollar. If for nothing else, if they accepted I would be convinced I bought a stolen guitar.

Biddlin

Reaction score
I have always tried to be straight up with offers and if someone offers " pennies on the dollar" I politely decline and suggest they check other sources for valuation. That said, I have purchased two Gibson SGs, neither broken and nor stolen, for intentionally low offers.
1SMRDSP.jpg
$250-2003 w/ebony fb
biddlinfive moons.jpg
$450-2003 w/ebony fb and moon inlays with "Gibson" branded Lifton style case and Ampeg bass amp.
I keep in mind the first thing I learned about buying second hand-You never know unless you ask!

Biddlin

Reaction score
I'll give you $300 for either of those two

Well, that didn't hurt, did it? :rofl:
I have also sold a couple pretty cheap, like my 98 Epi Les Paul Standard for $200 bucks to a neighborhood kid I liked. When someone offered me $500 bucks for my '59 ES225 I politely declined and ended up selling them a 90's Strat I had in the closet.

jtees4

Reaction score
Lowballers don't bother me. They are similar to trolls online. I ignore them. It hurts them more than it hurts me.

pancake81

Reaction score
Lowballers don't bother me. They are similar to trolls online. I ignore them. It hurts them more than it hurts me.

If you want to get a rise out of a low ball, don’t respond. It will drive them nuts.

I am not talking about the guy that offers 1300 on the 1500$ guitar, that’s probably just his limit and he wants the best axe possible. But the guy that offers $500, no response.

3 days later it’s, $600... then $800 etc. eventually I chime back just to agrevate them more. Like when they hit a $1000, i type back, “you’re getting there”

Hector

Reaction score
It gets annoying when you have a lowballer who, after you politely reply with a "thanks, but no thanks", starts an argument about why your price is too high.

I had this with a BMW motorcycle I was selling. He kept insisting that my bike wasn't worth the (already low) asking price, and that he could get the same one from a dealer for the same amount, so I should lower my price (he either didn't know or failed to mention the dealer's was an older model with 20 fewer HP and double the KMs, but I pointed this out to him, didn't make a difference.)

After two days of going back and forth, I sent a final text message giving a final "no thanks". That's when he started texting me 3x a day, none of which I answered. Needless to say I blocked his number. Some people really are strange.

pedecamp

Reaction score
My starting offer is half of new, if i cant buy used in that ballpark i keep looking until i find a reasonable seller. When i sell i price things reasonably, half of new, i let the lowballer know its priced half of new and thats my ballpark for selling if they want to buy.

Huckleberry

Reaction score
I've done that before but we don't have a comedy club here. Great idea. Usually send them to the local out of the way Christian bookstore. They need to find God.

Huntroll

Reaction score
If you don't accept offers, you may want to include the words "PRICE FIRM" in the description.
Otherwise, consider a single honest offer par for the course.
A single dose of reality shouldn't offend you.

Last edited:

Relic61

Reaction score
Try switching to tighty-whities or a nice support jock for a while. Sometimes this happens in older men & it's called 'Daddy Horse Nuts Syndrome' & in Asia. it's referred to as the 'Wong Hung Lo'.
It's why Grampa can't walk around the house in boxers & needs a riser on the crapper (ooo the waters cold!)

Oh I'm sorry, This isn't 101 Main n Burlington?
I must have taken a wrong turn!
I was looking for the comedy club.

Voxman

Staff Member
Reaction score
I just tell em " They have nothing I want " and I've used that one since the 70's. Or, " I'm so sorry , but you don't have the means for this item! "

jtees4

Reaction score
I honestly don't understand why people get offended by offers....just say no or ignore if it pisses you off. Is this really that important to get your panties in a twist over? Hopefully, not pink lace panties, but that's another story;) PS: If you a hot woman in this group...feel free to wear the pink lace panties.:naughty:

Relic61

Reaction score
I honestly don't understand why people get offended by offers....just say no or ignore if it pisses you off. Is this really that important to get your panties in a twist over? Hopefully, not pink lace panties, but that's another story;) PS: If you a hot woman in this group...feel free to wear the pink lace panties.:naughty:

What about 'today's man'? Those twisted sisters might like pink laced panties too huh??
Fookin A.. eh??
whatever
lol

Latest posts