How to make a home studio...?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by madguitarsolo, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Active Member

Yes Neo.....Another Technophobe here.......I use the Yamaha equivelant of the Boss 1600 and I have to say that I am delighted with the results thus far.....and I'm VERY New to Recording at Home.

I tried a PC System and just didn't get on with it at all.....I know that this is almost certainly a failing in me....But.....I find REAL Knobs and Sliders far more tactile. "Comfort Zone" stuff again no doubt? O0

2. Cooltouch

Cooltouch Active Member

If you're working with a fairly tight budget, then a standalone system is pretty much the way to go.

I decided to build a PC-based digital-audio workstation because I preferred the flexibility. It also took me better than a year to put together the entire outfit because of my own budget constraints. Including software, I have a few thousand bucks tied up into that system, easy.

If you do decide to go the PC (or Mac) route, I recommend that you dedicate the computer for digital-audio work only. The more software stuff you have added into the machine, the greater likelihood of degraded performance during recording, mixdowns, etc.

Best,

Michael

3. NeoConMan

NeoConMan New Member

Ah, yes!
    More nuggets of wisdom!

Thanks guys!

Lex, what powers of perception you have. My sentiments exactly.

Any advise you care to offer would be appreciated.

:-)
    Neo

4. angus

angus Active Member

MGS, I would suggest downloading Audacity and buying a Fairly Sensitive mic to hang on the ceiling to hook to your MIC Jack in your PC and just start recording!

5. SG dan

SG dan Active Member

yep. thats definately the cheapest way to go.

6. 1Way

1Way Active Member

[quote author=angus link=topic=5012.msg151851#msg151851 date=1167094935]
    MGS, I would suggest downloading Audacity and buying a Fairly Sensitive mic to hang on the ceiling to hook to your MIC Jack in your PC and just start recording!
    [/quote]

If you have any ideas for what sort of mic to use, that might help. The PC mic's I've seen make it hard to know which one is better.

7. angus

angus Active Member

8. aisuru

aisuru Member

[quote author=angus link=topic=5012.msg151851#msg151851 date=1167094935]
    [/quote]i wouldn't advise that. at least, not on it's own. as an additional mic for a bit of room on the recording, it'd be god, but not as the sole recording souce.

one, ideally two mics close to the speakers.

one mic in the centre of the room in the way mentioned above won't get a good sound. for a start, the guitar sound won't be clear, plus you'll be more subject to hiss from the computer bing in the same room.

9. angus

angus Active Member

Ok, just put all the speakers close together and put the mic up to them!

10. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

[quote author=Lex Lurid link=topic=5012.msg151570#msg151570 date=1166971647]
    Yes Neo.....Another Technophobe here.......I use the Yamaha equivelant of the Boss 1600 and I have to say that I am delighted with the results thus far.....and I'm VERY New to Recording at Home.

I tried a PC System and just didn't get on with it at all.....I know that this is almost certainly a failing in me....But.....I find REAL Knobs and Sliders far more tactile. "Comfort Zone" stuff again no doubt? O0
    [/quote]

Lexie, I feel the same way. I had an old Tascam 4 track back in the early '80's and wore it out.
    Easy to record on, fast, and simple. I've tried to record on the PC with Cakewalk and it just
    isn't the same! I need sliders and knobs to feel like I'm really recording! If I had the dosh,
    this would be mine:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...24Track-Digital-Studio-Workstation?sku=241087

Now THAT'S a recorder!

Weird thing is, I have a Boss BR-8 and I just can't jive with it either........

11. aisuru

aisuru Member

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/c-o1u-usb-condenser-mic/68429

^ a far better alternative to a cheap desktop mic. those things are only designed to record voice - fine if you want to use Skype, not so much if you actually want to record music. the USB connecor means you can plug it staight into a computer and record as well, without having to route it through a soundcard.

12. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Nice find Aisuru O0

Mic placement and design are important issues.

As long as it functions well and is durable, at $80USA, the Samson USB mic may be one of the best options. I bought the Presonus Firebox and am very happy with the mic pres and large diaphragm condenser mic. It's hard to believe how well you can hear things with that rig!

I wonder how much better the quality of the Samson USB mic really is compared to a PC mic, although I have to imagine that most PC mic's are pretty much voice recording quality range. Still that might be fine for a those on strict budgets. ;)

Maybe go with a fast webcam and get the whole A/V enchilada!!! Bottom line is, you usually get what you pay for. It's good that there seems to be options for different price ranges.

13. Bonfire

Bonfire Active Member

for US$100 you can just get a shure sm57 or sm58 for guitar...