How to remove the pickguard?

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by teh0wnz, Sep 8, 2007.

1. teh0wnz

teh0wnz New Member

I have a Gibson SG Gothic guitar and I'm trying to remove the pickguard so I can install new pickups. I've removed all the screws and the bridge is off, but the two screw cavities right next to the bridge pickup are still holding the pickguard down! I don't know if that's the correct term for them, but they're the holes that the screws which raise and lower the guitar's action go. Any tips for me? It'd be greatly appreciated!

2. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG teh0wnz! :) :) :)

You have a how to question and I've moved it over to the section which should get you the max exposure by some of the best we have! Grab something to drink and have a seat and someone should be alone shortly...................! 8)

3. TNT

TNT Active Member

Remember how many threads are showing between the thumbwheels and the guitar body on both sides. Then unscrew the thumbwheels off of the posts and you should be set.
    Welcome Teh0wnz! :)

4. teh0wnz

teh0wnz New Member

Hey, I forgot to mention that I unscrewed the thumbwheels as well, and the pickguard is still held down. I managed to find a camera to take a picture to help better explain the situation. As you can see the area circled in red is the problem area, where the thumbwheels unscrewed from. The pickguard is held down in this area. The area near the other pickup is free to move, enough so that I could actually take that pickup out. The posts near the bridge pickup are driving me absolutely nuts! It seems to me that the pickguards are supposed to come right out over the sides of those things? That, however, is not the case with this guitar... So, anymore thoughts or suggestions? :) [img width=640 height=426]http://i10.tinypic.com/2lo3arq.jpg[/img]

5. DisclaimeR

DisclaimeR Member

hmmm....on all teh SG's ive seen you could just lift it straight up and over those. are you sure its just not a really tight fit? you should be able to take it off without the bushing coming out.

6. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

dont mind me for asking :p
    but is that a gibson?

the only gibsons i see with no fretboard inlays have ebony.
    yours looks like rosewood.

7. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

I have come across that as well. The pickguard holes around the bushing are a tight fit. I have NEVER seen the bushing installed over the pickguard so there is no worry that the bushings have to be pulled out first.
    Just keep gently prying on it and the P/G will come off. After you get it off you can use a rattail file and slightly enlarge the holes.

8. teh0wnz

teh0wnz New Member

Well, I finally got it off. I decided to be a bit more forceful with it. The posts actually came out of the guitar. Nothing broke and they fit back in nice and snug, so all is well. The holes for the pickguard are definitely way too small to just go around those posts though. I'm going to use a file to make the hole a bit bigger. Thanks for the help guys! I knew this shouldn't have been such a difficult task. ;)

9. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

......... be easier on the next task you try. ;)

10. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

Congrat's............I knew you could do it ! O0 :dance:

11. Rendus

Rendus Member

[quote author=teh0wnz link=topic=14936.msg192685#msg192685 date=1189352128]
    Well, I finally got it off. I decided to be a bit more forceful with it. The posts actually came out of the guitar. Nothing broke and they fit back in nice and snug, so all is well. The holes for the pickguard are definitely way too small to just go around those posts though. I'm going to use a file to make the hole a bit bigger. Thanks for the help guys! I knew this shouldn't have been such a difficult task. ;)
    [/quote]

My G400 pickguard was installed the same way.

The way I got them out was to put a quarter inch portion of a 16 penny nail, head down, into the bushing and then screwed in the post.
    As you screw in the post it pushes the bushing out of the wood.

12. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

[quote author=teh0wnz link=topic=14936.msg192636#msg192636 date=1189317038]
    Hey, I forgot to mention that I unscrewed the thumbwheels as well, and the pickguard is still held down. I managed to find a camera to take a picture to help better explain the situation. As you can see the area circled in red is the problem area, where the thumbwheels unscrewed from. The pickguard is held down in this area. The area near the other pickup is free to move, enough so that I could actually take that pickup out. The posts near the bridge pickup are driving me absolutely nuts! It seems to me that the pickguards are supposed to come right out over the sides of those things? That, however, is not the case with this guitar... So, anymore thoughts or suggestions? :) [img width=640 height=426]http://i10.tinypic.com/2lo3arq.jpg[/img]
    [/quote]

Shouldn't those be UNDER the pick guard not on top? Is Gibson getting lazy? my faded's were UNDER the pick guard.