How to start a band?

Discussion in 'Jams, Audio & Video Performances' started by smitty_p, May 24, 2014.

1. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

I had tremendous difficulties in finding people to jam with.

Most musicians I know are either other guitarists or classical musicians.

It happens that an old friend of mine picked up the bass, and invited me for a jam and who knows what happens next. I'll meet them tomorrow.

I must say I'm nervous, I told them I had no experience at all with bands, but they want to jam anyway.

I know I probably should relax and have fun, but I can't help it, I am tense, because I hope they want to keep working with me so that I can have more time to put a repertoire together with them. Being in a band has always been a dream for me, and now that it is beginning to happen, I'm thrilled.

You know, I'm not a young man anymore, and I get this horrible feeling that season has already passed for me, due to the fact that I didn't spend all my teenage years holding a guitar... :ohno:

Let's see what goes on tomorrow. :fingersx:

2. Dorian

Dorian Active Member

3. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I'm playing a jazz gig today - both the bass player and drummer are not feeling well - so today's "band" is me and the Boss Loop pedal.

At least no one talks back to the leader then!

4. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

I jammed with two guys yesterday, and will be doing more.

We're trying to learn some songs so that we can play at the bass player's birhtday party in August.

I'm 66, the drummer is early 60s and the bass player will be 70 on the day.
    :)

5. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    So the real deal when it comes to rock music. Rock is indeed our (I'm 64) music - much as the kids like to borrow it. It's like little girls trying on mummy's shoes - very cute, but not fooling anyone. :fingersx:

6. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

David, I hope all goes well with that. As a carpenter/ remodeler, most of my jobs are solo built and no complaining worker bees. But sometimes just a little helping hand goes a long way in making the work load lighter. I also had a friend who used computer aided "band mates." I believe he had played all the instrument parts and just played his keyboards or guitar etc and "pedaled" his way thru gigs

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  7. weemac

weemac Active Member

How do you start a band?

With a Key.......

Boom Boom!

Eden.

Alex_SG likes this.
  8. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

It's a different thing to play with a group and to use tracks - even ones I record on the fly live in front of the audience. The loop is unyielding, and you have to be careful to get the star and stop punches right, but other than that it's actually less hassle and more money for me take home pay.

9. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

You're right, of course! It gets better and better when you get more experienced.

What I meant was that I didn't start playing the electric when I was younger.

Anyway, about the jam: it was quite nice, I was a bit nervous at the beginning, because I only knew the bassist, and the set list was handed to me on the day before, mostly songs I hadn't even heard before (they like Brazilian Rock music, I don't). At first I did mostly rythm guitar, only tried a few pentatonics when we did some Zep and Deep Purple (you can't really jam for the first time and leave those out, can you?). And one thing that made me really enjoy it, as a Zep fan: the drummer kicks @$$ big time, I began to play Moby Dick between two songs and he picked up and soloed for a coupe of minutes, really good. :applause:

But it went quite all right, I did what I could to be of service and guess what: they liked me and we'll get it started as a band. I don't know if we'll get to gig regularly, but now I've got nice dudes to jam with, and that's the most terrific thing that ever happened to me as an electric player.

Now I've got a whole new disposition to study and practice all week long, just waiting for the next sunday jam! :naughty:

Susihukkanen likes this.