Humbucker height and tilt

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by DCCable, May 21, 2017.

1. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Leveling them is just for aesthetics.
    When not being played, they live on wall hangers for easy access.

IMG_2200.JPG

DCCable likes this.
  2. DCCable

DCCable Active Member

Ah, pickable art!

syscokid likes this.
  3. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Of what, the Triple Shot rings? It's a tiny little circuit board with five pads wired to two micro slide switches on another tiny board attached to a p'up ring.
    I found this:
    [​IMG]

That said mine is a touch different. I used Carvin pickups which have a different positional polarity setup than "normal"
    {Edited Copypasta}
    This is is the diagram I made (and ultimately used) when I was trying to wrap my head around the differences in the installation between Carvin and Seymour Duncan. (At least in terms of the wire colors)

[​IMG]

Carvin's screw vs slug (North / South) polarity orientation is opposite Gibbo / SD "normal". Perhaps the "hot coil" positioning is where it would be on a Gibbo / SD but they had to swap the slugs and screws for patent reasons?

Probably did it just to make crap difficult for guys like me.:facepalm:

The two screws on the pickup ring side is the Low E side from all I've seen so the switches went on that "2 screw side".

This sets me up with an orientation which happened to be screws toward the neck and bridge but with the opposite polarity.

So instead of (from bridge) SN NS, I've got NS SN.
    relevant links here and here
    What I didn't do, which I should have, was swap the North and South connections relative to the board to reflect the "backwards" polarity of the Carvin pickup. Rookie mistake, and luckily minor enough not to fix given the tiny ass wires and contact patches involved.

Ultimately, what this means for me (at least) is that Series and Parallel are the same as "Standard" but my Front and Rear positions are reversed in regards to the indicated position on the Triple Shot switches. Not a big deal since The Lady is NFS.

I later went ahead and fixed my original diagram above to reflect the CORRECT way to wire Carvins to Triple Shot rings accounting for the reversed polarity when compared to SD & Gibson.
    [​IMG]
    {End Copypasta}

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Yep, the only way to go

170407l.jpg

syscokid and cerebral gasket like this.
  5. sazista

sazista Active Member

I Spend 1% of my guitar time on fixes ( meaning i bring it in for a set up) and the rest is playing and recording. Life's too short to be nit picking if i am not going to utilize it. Today my G310 gets JB/Jazz upgrade, 500k pots, push/pull and who knows what else. I want the widest range of tones without having to drill holes and add extra bells and whistles. It will also get pickup rings. My Gibson faded 2002 with moons is still up for sale but Chileans don't like to spend much on guitars. So it sits waiting for a buyer.

6. sazista

sazista Active Member

I Spend 1% of my guitar time on fixes ( meaning i bring it in for a set up) and the rest is playing and recording. Life's too short to be nit picking if i am not going to utilize it. Today my G310 gets JB/Jazz upgrade, 500k pots, push/pull and who knows what else. I want the widest range of tones without having to drill holes and add extra bells and whistles. It will also get pickup rings. My Gibson faded 2002 with moons is still up for sale but Chileans don't like to spend much on guitars. So it sits waiting for a buyer.

7. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

I did this tonight. I still need to resolder my pickups to the harness, but my soldering iron is burned out and needs replacing.

Used my Foredom SR Flex Shaft tool with the foot controller, on the slowest setting.

Only issues I experienced are the following:

(1) There is no wood to screw into on one side of the bridge pickup;

(2) The pickup wires were very difficult to feed through with the pickguard screwed down. I had to tape them to an old 56 gauge string and push that through first

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cerebral gasket likes this.
  8. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

All four of my Specials from 2000-2004 have the same routing pictured below.

IMG_2394.JPG

On the bridge position, the fourth screw that misses the wood bites into the plastic guard.
    This one hasn't been drilled, it's a stock 2003 Special Faded with moon inlays.

Sometimes fishing wires through cavities is easier using another wire connected.