Humbuckers with a single coil sound? Which one?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Rottenegg, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Rottenegg

Rottenegg New Member

I'm looking for a neck pickup for my beloved SG but I don't really fancy the classic humbucker sound when it comes to the neck position .
    I'd like a pickup that could give me (splitted or not) a single coil sound reminiscent of Hendrix, SRV...

Here are the ones I found so far:

Duncan SSH-3 (basically, a pair of staggered sc)
    Duncan Phat Cat
    Duesenberg Domino
    Duesenberg Vintage Humbucker
    Rio Grande Tall Boy (too tall for a SG?)

PS:I'm not sure if I like the P90s, from the few clips I listened to they tend to sound a bit too much like humbuckers.

Any input is welcome, thanks.

2. ess

ess Guest

3. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

[​IMG]

Thats available from Allparts... just drop the hot single coil of your choice in there. Find a Fender Texas Special neck pickup... (try www.angela.com) and thats about as good as it gets for single coil neck sounds. That conversion ring comes in black too (just didn't have a pic of it on the website)

4. lagger

lagger Member

lol I've been looking into .. thinking about... dropping some nice mini-hums into my classic ... complete opposite ..

5. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

I think there's a mini W/gold offered on meatheadBay, Lags!

6. 68GibsonSG

68GibsonSG Member

i hate single coil pick ups

7. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

I agree.......
    They are Fookin noisy!

8. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Noisey? If they're noisey... take fewer breaks... just keep playin!

I dunno, I've never had a problem with SC noise, and really like the P90's.

9. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

Lindy fralin makes the sp43...it's a single coil constructed like a p-90, but strat sized. sposedly 75%-p90...25%strat sounding and will custom over/under wind em for ya....i'll let you know soon as mine get here egger!! gonna put em in my melody maker!

10. musicalhair

musicalhair New Member

If you really don't like the humbuckers then that adaptor plate posted above might the way to go.

Something like P-90's is what I'm considering switching into my Faded SG instead of the stock humbuckers. I'm sort of considering the PhatCats, because they might be a straight switch with no routing or string-spacing issues-- I say "might" because that is the early stage of investigation I'm at now.

The P-90's are the Classic late 60's Who sound (Live at Leeds, and I guess Isle of Wight which I think the tones is a little more to my liking) but also early Santana his guitar had P-90's. I don't know when he switched but I guess it would be after songs like "No one to Depend On" Oy Aye Como Va", "Open Invitation", Soul Sacrifice", but I suspect Abraxas and after with songs like "Europa" would be after he switched. I'm sure there are others that help define the "P-90" sound.

What is about the single coils that you like, the brightness and highs, or the lack of the magnetic pull on the string for better sustain or something else? I love single coils, but I've got humbucker equipped guitars that I love also. I've got a DiMarzio "Fred" that is so different than anything else I have and it isn't hurting for highs at all.

The DiMarzio Eric Johnson model interests me, the Duncan "jazz" and the JB for the Beck Blow By Blow sound are also calling to me to spend my money on them. Any pick up with the four leads coming out of it will give you a chance to split them and get the single coil sound, but the two magnets will still be pulling on the strings. "Stacked" humbuckers, I have a Fender one in a tele (along with the Fred), are rather unique and don't really sound like single coils at all to me, at least the one I got don't.

Sorry if that is no help at all, but I'm knida in a similar quest to change my SG and these are some of the things I've been thinking about.

11. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

12. Voxman

Tom Andersen pickups on my Drop Top do a very good job at that,.....as a side note!

13. Batwing

Batwing Member

14. Voxman

Never heard of him but I'm quite intrigued! Critically recorded sound samples would be nice!

15. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

i talked to old wolfie quite extensively back when i was shopping for pups...he was thinking of getting into winding the mini-buckers. personable guy that really enjoys his trade!! :D 8)

16. omni

omni New Member

Just to make matters more complicated... I have a Gretsch synchromatic semi hollow which I upgraded with some TV jones TvTrons. Described as Filtertrons in humbucker size. I like them very much but I'm not sure what they will do in a SG style solidbody guitar. They have a nice clean, dry feel to them. They also make a lot of pups in mini HB / Filtertron size.

http://www.tvjones.com

17. musicalhair

musicalhair New Member

Hey Omni, that looks good. I might want to put a set of his pick ups in my Carvin Fatboy. I'm also digging the idea of the "C Melody" guitars.

18. Voxman

They make the best Gretsch pickups ever! The 59' FILTERTRON is special as that one year only they switched magnets and /which had a very Bluesy sound AS WELL as twang and he does that exact one perfectly. The pickups in my 6120 were like any other modern humbucker and not like the ones that made Gretsch famous. But his have "that old black magic" Highly recommended, IF, your so inclined to get and use that sound. It's not for everybody!

19. ess

ess Guest

gretchys half the six strings in AC/DC :!: :idea:

20. musicalhair

musicalhair New Member

Hey Voxman, thanks for that great information.

I tend to like stuff that "ain't for everybody" and has it's own character with pluses and weaknesses in a sense.

I spoke to Tom V. Jones today. He recommended the "magna'Tron" in a humbucker sized pickup. He says he does them all custom to order, and his back log is about two weeks. Because their all done to order he said he can do these Magna'Trons in the full-sized humbucker (as opposed to the Gretsch size humbucker) and with the four leads for the wacky switching we can do that way. Once I started talking about four leads and coil splitting and phase switches he recommended the Magna'Trons because of their output level.

He was real helpful. I think I'll place the order next week if I got the cash saved.

For my Carvin Fatboy those would have to the way to go. It is "semi-hollow", I love the Gretsch sound. He says the high end is all classic Gretsch but these have more mids. The guitar is going to sound like itself and not some classic guitar, but I suspect I'll get the right vibe and a nice more unique sound.

For my SG I've settled on the Phat Cats by Duncan. P-90 vibe, no routing. I know: no guts, no glory.

Thanks for the information!