Hurricane Irma

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by chicagoslim, Sep 12, 2017.

1. chicagoslim

chicagoslim Active Member

Good to hear that you're OK.

Unless you've been through it, you have no idea how much physical work is involved.

2. drown

drown Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you guys are OK

Raiyn likes this.
  3. DCCable

DCCable Active Member

Glad you are all good!

Raiyn likes this.
  4. Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson Well-Known Member

Still alive and well. Thanks for the concern.
    Many had it much worse than we did. I feel very lucky.
    12 or so hours without power, minimal property damage to the house. And only about 6 inches of rain.
    My carport had a piece of trim get ripped loose and was smashing about in the wind, and my work shed lost a gutter. The trees took a bad hit. Lots of snapped limbs and a couple of palms came down.
    Never had this much debris from a storm before. Had to buy a wood chipper after 27 years of living here.
    It'll take a good week of cleanup around here, but poor Marco Island & Naples took a direct hit. So did the Keys.
    The wife & I took a drive across the state this last weekend for a little 32nd anniversary get away in Vero Beach.
    The damage we saw to powerlines and businesses in Polk, Osceola and Highlands counties was bad.
    Mobile homes don't do so well in 80mph winds. Power poles and trees were snapped like twigs. Power lines and trees down all over. Peace River was uncrossable in Ft Meade. Had to detour up to Bartow. Convoys of power company trucks all over the highways. Those guys were humping. Still are.
    Gas stations closed or out of gas all over. The ones open were running on generators. Most fast food places, stores and restaurants were closed due to lack of power. Agricultural fields looked like lakes. Acres of water.

I'm not complaining at all...
    We got off pretty easy in Manatee County compared to many.

5. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Glad to see you're OK with minimal burden Dave.

So you had an anniversary getaway in the war zone ? Wouldn't it have been more romantic to drive away from it, where roads and rivers are safe, gas plentiful and most business ready to receive tourists ? Dunno, just asking. That's what I would have done.

Dave Johnson likes this.
  6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Aside from some gripes about the power company over-promising and under-delivering I can agree totally. I have nothing but respect for the linemen, both local and imported, who came to help - but the management and logistics folks have a LOT to learn from this storm. Namely that preventative maintenance would have probably saved a lot of time.

Atlanta's lovely this time of year...... :p

DCCable likes this.
  7. DCCable

DCCable Active Member

One of my pet peeves with power companies all over, tree trimming seems to fall to the bottom of the to do list. I think it has to do with the tax laws i.e. construction and restoration are capital expenses while tree trimming is just maintenance and falls directly on the bottom line. "Follow the Money!"

Raiyn likes this.
  8. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

There's also the issue of their conflicting claims of "around the clock" work being one sixteen* hour shift as opposed to two twelve hour rotations or even three eights.

I know I'm less productive on the back-half of a double. I figure fresher teams would operate better.

*claimed, not observed.

9. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

I'm glad y'all made it back safe and sound. Seems like we dodged a bullet, relatively speaking. Yes it sucked but it appears others had it much worse further down south.

Had my bugout load ready in the car just in case: the guns, the guitars, the wah pedal, the Jim Beam, etc. Luckily I didn't need to go anywhere.

The power company and the imported line help did an outstanding job where I am.

Raiyn likes this.
  10. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

There are crews from Québec down there. These guys are sooo used to downed power lines.

The worst ... 1998 Ice Storm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. DCCable

DCCable Active Member

That's because most of the power company/union contracts go: First 8 hours, regular pay; next 2 hours, time and a half (1.5); everything above 10 hours, double time. "Follow the Money!"

12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

In that case, more shifts with shorter hours, as I suggested, would've saved money.

In fairness, I don't know the staffing situation, we just never saw trucks in our neighborhood for more than a couple hours and that got frustrating with no tangible results at the house.

13. DCCable

DCCable Active Member

You are correct.

Sometimes its hard to figure out what the master plan is based on the work you see being done. Having been on the other end in telecommunications let me just say it gets complicated.

14. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

When one can see wires down for days one wonders why they aren't repaired when crews are in the vicinity. It tends to annoy the overheated mind.

rotorhead likes this.
  15. DCCable

DCCable Active Member

We were without power for 3 weeks after Fredrick and still have the generator we bought during Andrew so I feel your pain buddy.

16. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

I remember being out of power for almost 4 days after Fran. There were two huge trees laying on power lines in our neighborhood and constant convoys of line/ tree trucks streaming by lol.

I kept think ****, can't one of these trucks stop for an hour or two and fix this?

But, life goes on. Eventually all was good.

17. chicagoslim

chicagoslim Active Member

After the hurricanes, I would trim a tree, every week. I had 7 palm tree's and a huge swamp ash. I kept this up for 10 years, until I sold my house. Tree trimmers charged $75, per tree.

18. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

It's not so bad now, but it's hard to think positively when you're hot. Especially when you're looking after your pets well-being as well.
    I talked to a buddy of mine who said I could get a standby generator running off the gas line for $10K. Weighted against the structural integrity of a stick framed house built around 80 years ago.... I think upgrading our wheels is going to take precedence.

Yeah, they weren't streaming by.... They'd be a couple blocks away and you'd think "FINALLY!" only to be let down when they disappeared.

The one "big" tree we have is on the city's easement as was the other one that died umpteen years ago. The others I can carry and or drag by myself should they fall. I do trim the hedges and keep the jacaranda limbs from getting in the way, but they're of no real consequence.

19. DCCable

DCCable Active Member

Having had to deal with standby generators for most of my professional life, let me just tell you that they are a maintenance nightmare.

20. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Maybe I'll just go see about snagging a surplus Hobart.
    I at least know how to work on them.