I’m looking for a ‘67 SG Standard (Gibson) nut

thisisduncan917

Reaction score
I bought a ‘67 SG, but it came with a non original nut. I’m looking for an exact match! Not close. I think they were 1 9/16”. Please provide detailed photos I can share with my luthier. He‘s the man with a plan. Below is a pic of my current nut. As you can see, it’s far too wide. 0FE3AB06-3B11-4750-93BC-FBC44AA41F4F.jpeg

Last edited:

Colnago

Reaction score
I believe they all start out as a blank of sorts and are made for each instrument during manufacturing. No two are identical so you won’t be able to find a match really.
6-6 nylon was a common material for vintage Gibson nuts to be made of and I believe that is what they used in the 60’s.
Good luck.

fernieite

Reaction score
I've heard good things about this seller. He's a member of the mylespaul forum, I believe.
He has a few listing with different string spacings.
If I needed a new nut, I'd probably go with him.

Last edited:

ruster1

Reaction score
My 1976 Norlin had a refret and I had the luthier make a bone nut.. looks stock.. plays great.. also 1 9/16.. love the profile of my 76 with narrow top and wide bottom.. but most like the very rounded C shape neck.. feels great in the hand ..

MR D

Reaction score
There I was thinking the NUT size went to 1-11/16" in 1966.......HHHMMMMM.....if its got an original Batwing PG, itssa '67. I wonder if the neck was a leftover fron '65-'66 and thats why it has the thinner NUT ? To tell that: What fret is the Neck Joint at ? IDK.....

thisisduncan917

Reaction score
It’s definitely a ’67. I think late in the year because it has witch hat knobs with are more common on ‘68s, but were introduced in ‘67. The pots and the horn style are ‘67 too. Unfortunately I don’t have it with me right now to check which fret the neck joins the body.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
My 1976 Norlin had a refret and I had the luthier make a bone nut.. looks stock.. plays great.. also 1 9/16.. love the profile of my 76 with narrow top and wide bottom.. but most like the very rounded C shape neck.. feels great in the hand ..

Ruster, I have a '76 too. I only wish it had a 1 11/16 nut, Oh well, She's a beaut anyway. 76 SG family.jpg

laza616

Reaction score
I would like to ask for more picture of your SG please!

Are you looking for a 55 years old nut or a substitute that would be actually an upgrade to your current one?
If so, Tusq by graptech is pretty great!
I have both nubone and tusq nuts by graptech in my guitars and i love them both. I am sure you would be satisfied

thisisduncan917

Reaction score
If I can’t find one I’ll probably ask my luthier to make one from bone. That‘s my plan B. I’m sure the tusa ones are great, but they/re too new for this particular instrumen. Sorry man.