I’m Thinking About Getting Another SG!

Alanbama

Reaction score
If it plays nice and you like it ...

They must both sound the same. I personally like the Classic's finish better than the blingy Special. But I like a wraparound and a small guard better.

The difference that could make you want a Special is that a wraparound has something the TOM doesn't, tone wise it's sharper, snappier and bends seem easier ... I say "seem". You might have to have them both side by side to see the difference. I say, if returning is not a problem and you don't lose money, get a Special and have yourself a shoot-out.

One thing about P90s, they're really sensitive to height. Badly adjusted, you'll hate them.

Here's how I do it.

Too low they sound thin, too high they can be ice pick or boomy. Here's how I adjust them and I haven't yet tried a set I didn't like.

I set the bridge pickup (measured at the pole) height to about two credit card thickness distance from bottom of strings (1/8" or ±3mm). No closer, or magnets will dampen sustain. If it sounds good, I leave it there. Too hot ? ½ turn of each screw at a time to lower it where I want it. Check it clean AND with overdrive. I take my time, it's worth it. Once I have that one at the sweet spot, I go to the neck.

Neck tone has to be different from middle position. Many people have neck pup adjusted so it gives the same tonality as middle position. Not good. Neck pup is to be adjusted so middle position gets an almost acoustic tone, or a quacky tone, kinda Strat like. You'll know what I mean when you get there.

So, I raise the neck pup until it starts to sound boomy. Notes will seem to be overwhelmed with too much bass. I then lower it a full screw turn and compare it to middle. If it sounds the same, it is still too high. I go on until I hear three different balanced tones out of the three switch positions. The neck P90 often ends up the lowest I can get it.

Don't rely on those thin screws to get it low, you might snap them. Push down on the cover as you screw deeper into the wood.

Take your time, it's worth it. Do it a second time to make sure you really found their sweet spot. That's a fun adjustment and it is by far the cheapest modification you can do to a guitar and probably the one that has the most drastic effect on tone.
Thanks man. That’s really helpful. I really appreciate you taking the time to share that with me and I’m going to do it just like you said. I think that I’m going to play it a day or two and see what I think about it. I prefer the small pick guard too and I’ve never had a wrap around bridge before. I really do love this finish and the finish on the neck is killer. It also has nuts instead of press in bushings on the machines. It will be easier to install revolution machines on it.

Alanbama

Reaction score
You are not going to believe this! I went back to the ZZSounds website and looked up the order that I placed online. I ordered an Epiphone SG Classic! There it was right on my order. CLASSIC. Oh well they don’t owe me any money and I truly like this guitar a lot! I checked the action and neck relief and they are spot on. They really are! I couldn’t believe it. It has 10s on it and I play 9s. As soon as I change them I’ll check everything again including intonation. The Tusq nut is set just right. Another thing that really surprises me! I’m about to change strings and then I’ll plug it in and give her a proper test drive. Then I’ll adjust the pups. Although I’m sure that I could swap it for the Special, I’m actually leaning toward keeping it. We’ll see.

DrBGood

Reaction score
You are not going to believe this! I went back to the ZZSounds website and looked up the order that I placed online. I ordered an Epiphone SG Classic! There it was right on my order. CLASSIC. Oh well they don’t owe me any money and I truly like this guitar a lot! I checked the action and neck relief and they are spot on. They really are! I couldn’t believe it. It has 10s on it and I play 9s. As soon as I change them I’ll check everything again including intonation. The Tusq nut is set just right. Another thing that really surprises me! I’m about to change strings and then I’ll plug it in and give her a proper test drive. Then I’ll adjust the pups. Although I’m sure that I could swap it for the Special, I’m actually leaning toward keeping it. We’ll see.
Senior moment ?

Piper68Special

Reaction score
I like my Epi Classic a bunch and play it in preference to my beat up '69 Special that needs work. That's it in my avatar pic.

Alanbama

Reaction score
We’ll after setting it up properly and putting my preferred 9’s on it and playing it all day, I of course have decided to keep it. I haven’t adjusted the p90s yet but as they are they sound so damn good! I never heard such an in your face sound before with dirt! And the clean sounds are really amazing! So much dynamic’s there in clean and dirty. And the guitar plays wonderfully. It feels really good. So far I have found no issues with fret buzz or anything else for that matter. Anyway, I’ve got to go play! Talk to you later.

Alanbama

Reaction score
Wow! Those are some gorgeous guitars! I’m seriously jealous right now!🥺😆 And you are right. I can’t get enough of this soap bar tone and feel! I feel like I’m playing through a whole new setup. I’m using a Boss GT100 run straight through my return of the effects loop on my Peavey Valve King 1-12 50 watt amp. The sound is fantastic! And now I have a whole new pallet of sounds. Thanks for your help.

steve_kaplan

Reaction score
I’m seriously considering getting an Epiphone SG Modern Figured. I’ve read all about it and it sounds very impressive. I’m so impressed with my new SG that I want another one. What do you all think about my choice? I was also looking at the custom. I like it too.
Why not a Les Paul, Strat, or Tele ?

Alanbama

Reaction score
Man, I’m really digging these soap bars in this Classic! They already sounded pretty good but I raised them a touch leaving the neck pup a little lower than the bridge. And wow, this thing sounds incredible! I think someone at the factory who really cares did the setup on it. Everything was very close to what I would do. Even the pole pieces on the pups were extremely close. I am very impressed with Epiphone after receiving two fantastic guitars.

laza616

Reaction score
Stop it, i am buying a 97 Korean SG from Samick plant, hooked with active EMG pickups
You are making me re-considering getting it

DrBGood

Reaction score
Stop it, i am buying a 97 Korean SG from Samick plant, hooked with active EMG pickups
You are making me re-considering getting it
P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90 P90

Alanbama

Reaction score
I just got back from jamming with my best friend. He plays bass and we have a drum machine. I used my SG Classic and it sounded killer! Those P90’s were really wailing! It was great! I had a blast! I love my SG’s! Rock and roll!!!:thumb: