I am doing a gig in 6 weeks... what guitar/amp to use?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by oldrockfan, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

I would definitely take the Marshall if you are happy to lug the cab. You can always turn down.

2. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

Can you connect the Orange to the 4x12?. Just asking. The 100 watter will be way too loud for such a small audience. As for the guitars, take both. You'll be able to cover pretty much any ground with an SG and a Strat.

Col Mustard likes this.
  3. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

Frankly, I'd take the Marshall.

Like Gillean said, you can gig comfortably with a 15 or 30 watt valve amp in small to medium venues, but the problem is: it's easy to do it when you are a single guitarist, or if the other guitar players are keeping it civil.

My experience, unfortunately, was quite the other way around. Guitar players (well, many of them) tend to raise their volume all the time, and if their amps are louder, you might end up playing in braille (not hearing what your own guitar is doing). It happened to me a couple of times and it sucks.

So, if you are not familiar with the other dudes you're gonna play with, don't take for granted that they will keep everything in a moderate volume. Bring enough rifle for the hunt.

Col Mustard and Gillean like this.
  4. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

I agree that you can cover a lot of ground. You should take both.

For the amp, I would bring the Marshall, as guitar players tend to be uncivilized with the volume. And I'm assuming that it has a volume and a gain? If it does, you're covered on volume :thumb:

5. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I just hate the thought of lugging that big amp as a rhythm player. I will see what the other players will be using and hopefully they wont be bringing stacks! Got the potential set list this evening and several songs ive never played. Guess i have some work ahead to learn new stuff although we are going to thin the list down at first practice so maybe we axe some i dont know. Going to be fun but 6 weeks isnt that long to get ready.

Col Mustard and DCCable like this.
  6. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Very true about 6 weeks not being long to get ready. As long as your band mates got it down, and you can figure out the couple of new songs, I think you should be good. The main problem is when you have 6 weeks to learn ALL new songs, now that would be a challenge :shock:

7. oldrockfan

Yep yep... i will feel better once we get first meeting done and i know what we are playing so i can get to work. If i only have a couple to learn should be ok. Trying to learn a bunch of new songs in 6 weeks would suck!

8. DCCable

DCCable Active Member

I fall down (no pun intended) on the side of seeing what the other folks are playing before deciding which amp to bring. You don't want to show up with a 18 watt amp with a single 12" if everyone else has a half stack and 100 watts, but I don't think you want to be the only 1/2 stack with everyone else with Princetons either, the optics are just bad.

Col Mustard likes this.
  9. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

+1

I always bring my howitzer to the hunt, ha ha

Col Mustard likes this.
  10. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

The DSL has ridiculous amounts of gain (think of an amp fit to play Death Metal, and pretty much any subgenere of Metal).

11. Paul G.

Paul G. Well-Known Member

Either the Marshall or the Orange will be fine. Which are you more comfortable with?

Will you be looking for tons of clean headroom type of rhythm, or are you looking for crunch?

My style would call for the Orange, but as I said before, either is fine.

P.

12. tbonesullivan

tbonesullivan Member

I would also go for the TH30. The half stack is super directional, and will be like a laser beam through the audience. For the guitar, always bring a back up.

13. oldrockfan

well I have more info on the event location. Just a big metal hanger with bare concrete floors. We have the option of playing inside hanger or setting up at opening of hanger and having people outside around the opening. We will have guitarist playing 12 string acoustic electric running thru the pa, me on my SG and then lead guitarist who will play thru marshall half stack

So I think the TH30 is my best bet and then I won't overpower the acoustic player. We will just have to ask the lead guitarist to reign in the volume on his half stack and hope for the best. Looks like we have 3 vocals... me, another guy and a girl. We are deviding up the set list and we all take lead vocals on some songs since we have limited time to get ready. I'm especially looking forward to doing lead vocals on the aerosmith version of come together. I've done the beatles version but not he aerosmith harder edged version so already working on that. Told wife... I would be tying bandanas to the mic stand and wear a headband for the song and she just chuckled.

So any thoughts on the pros/cons of metal hanger with bare concrete floors vs. setting up in hanger doorway and playing to audience outside. Main guy was thinking maybe doorway and play to audience outside would be best.

14. DCCable

DCCable Active Member

How much PA are you using? Open space "swallows" sound like you wouldn't believe, unless you've every tried to fill it. To do an open space, even with the hanger behind you will probably need to mic everything and have at least 2000 watts of PA if not 4000 watts.

In playing in large spaces by 150 feet out from the sound source over 90% of the sound is reflected (think large church sanctuary.) When you loose those reflective boundaries your left with the less than the 10% that was direct sound.) So using simple sound pressure level calculations if you start out with 120 db spl at 1m by the time you get to that 150 foot mark your down to 87 db spl, or 2.2% of what you started with at one meter.

So, plan on bringing the half stack in that case.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    Col Mustard likes this.
  15. oldrockfan

so did the first practice for my upcoming gig at that big hanger with the bare metal walls and concrete floors. First I will say it really adds a lot of echo effect. Kinda nice actually on acoustic guitar but on the harder rocking songs... it tended to muddy up the tone. I was playing thru the Orange TH30 amp and had to end up backing off some on the normal gain I would use to avoid it sounding too muddy. Also, it really accentuated the drums. We moved the set about 25 feet over to the side of the band and it still was pretty loud.

The other thing I noticed is after about an hour and a half... I was getting tired and by the end of two hours... I was pooped! I didn't remember feeling this tired after a gig when I was in my 20s :hmm: Pa we were using is 1200watts and seemed to handle the vocal duty just fine. Might be different when we have over a hundred folks there though but had lots of headroom left on PA today and could hear vocals fine in the mix.

So had a fun and productive practice and everyone learned what songs they have down solid and which ones still need some work. Oh have to also mention our timing was all over the place... I know it was first practice and all but everyone noticed it. I think I might send a click beat thru the pa on next practice so we can all do better job of sticking to a beat.

16. Jerry Centifanti

Jerry Centifanti Member

Can't go wrong with a Gibson and Orange! IMG_9089.JPG

Marln864 likes this.
  17. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

This is a great thread... lots of lurkers read these posts, and for them this
    is an excellent source of info from experienced pros.

I believe that when people are dancing, they normally dance with the Rhythm guitar. As a Bassist, this is hard for me to accept, but I have eyes, and a mind
    and a heart. Drummers usually feel that the dancers are dancing with them,
    bassists like me usually feel that the dancers are dancing with ME... BUT...
    It's prolly the rhythm guitar IMHO. And if all three are tight, then all have won
    and all must have prizes.

We all know about lead guitarists... *laughs
    Anyway, my guess is that the Orange will do you proud and not blow yer mates
    off the stage. If you and the drums and the bass are all solid as a rock and lay
    down a tight wall of sound, then the "lead" guitarist can do what he wishes, and the singer(s) can do what they do. If you and the drums and the bass are solid as a rock, the gig will go well no matter what.

That's what I would concentrate on... and then practice practice practice.
    It won't do you any harm to practice very hard for an upcoming gig.
    It will do you good. SG guitars have a way of making practice fun... at least
    mine does. It's good to bring both the Strat and the SG in order to have a
    backup.

That's what I would do... I'd decide to do the gig with the Orange, and then
    practice hard with both guitars plugged into it. Then you'll know which will
    get the nod on gig night.

Good luck with this project, and may you go out there and
    kick some butt.

DCCable likes this.
  18. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I wonder how the gig went? Haven't heard from ORF since May?????????????????

19. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I have never heard a Marshall make good noise below 8 on the dials. Small room volume, they sound dull and lifeless.

20. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

ah well, I'm always late to the party...