I Am Going to Actually Do It!!! (Yamaha Revstar incoming in about a month)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by NoiseNinja, Feb 6, 2020.

1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Active Member

So I pondered back and forth for a while now to maybe get a Yamaha Revstar, just the cheapest model, since I don't have a lot of money, and now I think I finally decided to pull the trigger next time I get money, around the 1st of March.

It's going to be the Yamaha Revstar RS320 in black steel finish, nato wood body, and nato wood set in neck, with rosewood fretboard, and 22 medium frets.

Nato wood is a cheap subspecies of mahogany, which is considerably harder than maple but also really heavy, due to it's density.

I don't mind heavy guitars though, and the hard wood ought to make it really sturdy and make for a really stable neck, and even though it's a cheap wood it is supposed to have pretty much the same tonewood qualities as mahogany, weather you then believe that has anything to say or not.

The guitar looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Though I plan to spray paint the pickguard green and, apply a decal with an Om sign in a red circle, on the part of the body about over the bridge, approximately making it look like this, though my PhotoShopping skills could be better:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    fos1 and pedecamp like this.
  2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I like these guitars, they have a nice collection of models to choose from, they feel solid in your hand, rat bastards dont make them in lefty arrrggghhh!!!!

NoiseNinja likes this.
  3. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Active Member

Yeah, I've only heard good stuff about them, and I really like the design of them.

Kind of SG inspired, and reminding me a lot of the Westbury standard I once owned and absolutely loved, but was stupid enough to part with, though the design of the Revstar still being it's own thing.

And I even think I might prefer it over both the SG and the Westbury Standard/Deluxe designs.

Bummer about you being excluded from getting one because Yamaha's marketing department decided it would be best if they chose to discriminate left handed people for some odd reason, though I realize that unfortunately is a pretty common attitude among instrument manufactures.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  4. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Have you got your hands on any? I had the opportunity to handle several and plug them in, they feel and sound great for the price point!

5. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Active Member

No, I have not, but I am willing to take that chance.

As said I don't mind guitars being to the heavy side, which I heard these are, my current Epiphone SG Special is kind of heavy too, so no issue at all for me, and with the Revstar I am going to buy being over double the price of what my SG costed from new, despite this Revstar being the cheapest model available, and Yamaha generally being known for amazing quality for the price paid, I am not in doubt that I will get something greater than my current main and only electric guitar, even if there is honestly really nothing wrong with that either.

I believe the Revstar has a slim C neck profile as well, which I actually would prefer to the slim D of my SG's neck, and the frets might be a bit more narrow too, since they are advertised as just medium on this particular Revstar model, versus the medium jumbos of my SG, which actually would be a slight advantage for me personally as well.

The pickups on the Revstar are likely better too, even if still just being cheap ceramics, but as I even managed to get a tone almost exactly as I prefer it out of the pickups on my cheap budget Epiphone SG, by thorough adjustments, including the individual adjustable pole pieces, and some EQ'ing, that aspect doesn't really worry me a bit either.

So all in all I am pretty confident that I won't regret getting that Revstar, even without me having a chance to try it out before buying.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  6. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Active Member

Played a bit more with PhotoShop and discovered it looks better with the pickguard in a bit darker green color than my first sketch, also liked it better with chicken head style pot knobs.

Black chicken head style knobs looks great on it, but in my opinion a dark red and a dark green looks even better.

[​IMG]

pedecamp likes this.
  7. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

A good looking guitar but i dunno think pickguard should stay black ( or red maybe ).

Its your choice ha ha just my opinion ... a dark green mixed with black background on the pickguard? Spattered drops on the pickguard?

8. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Active Member

Of course it is a matter of personal taste, and I understand where you are coming from, I am one of those people who almost always wears nothing but black clothes, and I don't think that is boring.

However for me that is kind of the case with an all black guitar, and red and green happens to emphasis each other, as they are complimentary colors according to color theory, and in my opinion both goes well on a black background as well.

No technical issues with painting a black background green either, I did this to the black pickguard of my SG as well without any issues whatsoever, a black background will just require a few more layers of paint, compared to a white background, for the color to cover properly, which actually is a quite minimal amount of additional paint, and nothing that in any possible way expose an issue, neither from a visual point of view or durability wise.

I do however still prefer for the base color of my guitars to be black, not really fond of guitars with colored or white finishes, added colors in strategically chosen relatively small areas of the guitar though, and having them really stand out to create a much more visually dynamic look, making my guitar unique and interesting, instead of completely uniform and plain, yes please.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  9. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Active Member

I think I might have changed my mind again.

However absolutely dashing that Yamaha Revstar would look, and the fact that I would slightly prefer it's slim C neck contour to the slim D of my current Epiphone SG Special, there is really nothing wrong with my current SG.

I can get the action nice and low where I like it to be without fret buzz, it does feel nice to play, and I even succeeded in getting it to sound pretty much exactly how I want my guitar to sound, with some thorough pickups adjustments and a bit of EQ'ing.

I am thinking that perhaps it would be wiser of me to focus on completing my effect pedal setup with a couple of pedals I need and a proper board to mount them on, since right now they are just individual pedals linked with patch cables, and perhaps install that Duesenberg Les Trem II on my SG that I kind of pondered on for a while too.

It is not like the Revstar is not tempting me, cause it definitely is, big time, the question though is how much I really need it, how big an upgrade it would actually be in reality, other than visually, and if it wouldn't be wiser and more useful to me to invest in some other upgrades to my guitar rig that actually would make a real difference instead.

I mean I can always sooth my vain desires for a pretty looking guitar at a later point and in the meantime cover some more practical needs instead.

"Damned be thou Revstar, you temptress siren of a dashing damsel, you cloud my mind's voice of reason and tempt my desire into depravity!"

*deep longing sigh*

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020