I gutted my Strat.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Logan, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

So as the title says, I gutted my Strat. First 2 things I did were get an AVRI Strat Trem and Kluson Vintage locking tuners. That wasn't the end though, I did a lot more to it.

Now for all the wiring changes; all pots have been upgraded with CTS 275k pots, Switchcraft switch and output jack that I bought from Jonesyblues from the MyLesPaul forum. The wiring is the standard Strat setup minus the fact that the middle tone control now works on the bridge pickup.

Next, and finally, the pickups. The Pickups are Porter Pickups 60s and they RIP. They are all the standard wind on the pickups that he does, except the fact that the bridge is slightly overwound and has a steel base plate which makes it made kind of like a Tele pickup. They have a little bit less brightness than the stock pickups did, which I don't necessarily like as much when it's clean, but when it's dirty OH MAN. They sound amazing which I think is a good compromise to have decent cleans and amazing dirty sounds. The original pickups didn't work for dirty really, so these pickups are much better in my opinion.

Unfortunately it still looks the same, so you won't be able to tell I upgraded it from the outside because it still has the original plastics but here are some pictures of it anyway:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jvin248

jvin248 Active Member

Looks great and glad the mods worked out!

Liked that note about the bridge slightly overwound with a steel base plate. That's a great option!

If you get back in there someday with the wiring, look up the dan armstrong blender mod. I've converted three SSS strats over to it (I do swap the outer leads on the blender wiring used so the pot action is reversed)... that allows you to blend from SSS to thicken up into a full on HSH setup. Easy to remember 5-way switching for gigs or if you don't play the guitar for six months - like having an extra stealth guitar.

3. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

Very cool. Did similar mods. It was a black labled strat, MIM. It includes: Dimarzio custom taper pots, Fender Tex Mex pickups, new bridge and vintage style tuners. Tone control for bridg. The electronics were horrible. It's much better now. But it still looks the same.

4. kiko

kiko Active Member

Nice mods!

5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I'm such a bad influence. :D

6. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say that :D

I've been modding guitars before I even knew you :h5:

My Tele had similar upgrades in terms of pickups and wiring and I added a bigsby to it :thumb:

7. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

No upgraded tremolo block? Heres a good explanation from guitarfetish:

SOLID Steel or SOLID Brass. Steel gives you the great sustain and that piano-like response. Brass gives you great sustain and introduces a warmer, richer bottom end. How to choose?? If your guitar is lifeless and dull go for steel- if your guitar is thin and wimpy- go brass.

8. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

The AVRI Trem has a solid machined steel block. That's part of the reason why I got it :thumb:

pedecamp likes this.
  9. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Attaboy!

Logan likes this.
  10. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

That really is a lovely Strat. I'm not usually fond of Daphne blue, but yours has character. Show us the tuners, back and front please!

11. JameSGjr

JameSGjr New Member

Hey Logan, I have the same looking Strat, a 50th anniversary... Your great mods have now inspired me to un-stock mine! I hadn't heard of Porter PUs, I was thinking of Fralins. One thing about my Strat is it's weight... It feels heavier than a J-bass! Would routing out some weight de-value the guitar?

12. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

You should go to their website. On all of their pickups they will do small mods with no up charge such as over-winding or under-winding their pickup model you have chosen. They have sound clips for all the pickups too, and their models range from 50s style strat pickups to Modern Strat pickups to P90s in a Strat housing. Here is their website: http://www.porterpickups.com
    Before I answer that question, I have to ask you a question; will routing it out to make it lighter make you keep it and not sell it? The only reason it would matter is if you would want to sell it in the future. It would definitely devalue it, but depending on how well it's done it will be less devalued with good workmanship than with bad worksmanship. So if you're not going to sell it in the future, I say go for it. It's a modern guitar, there's probably thousands of other guitars like it out there, so if you wanted you could also sell it and find a lighter one. :thumb:

syscokid and Raiyn like this.
  13. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Wise words.

14. JameSGjr

JameSGjr New Member

Thanks for the info and your advice!

15. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Well-Known Member

16. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

:iough: