I have a question.

Alanbama

Reaction score
Has anyone ever moved the strap button on the back of your SG to the under side of the top body horn? I read that Tony Iomi does that.

Last edited:

DrBGood

Reaction score

Alanbama

Reaction score
Yeah, you all are right. I would really have to give it some thought. You may have to file a little off the horn tip or not I don’t know. I’m not really comfortable with that kind of wood work. I don’t mind neck dive so much. I can handle that okay. I just would rather the guitar not fall away from my body quite as much. I play 95% with a strap so I guess I just notice it a little more. No big deal though. I’m really loving this guitar! It’s made so well!

Last edited:

Igonuts

Reaction score
I caution horn tip mounting. Back in the day, '60s '70s, I've seen examples of horns split *over time*. Now I can't remember if they were Fenders/Gibsons due to my memory, but they were horn type.
Admittedly, there were a lot of very cheap Jap annd domestic knock offs. During that time. Wood, weight, vs screw type and angle would have an influence.
And Alanbama, You and i are both 67 yo. If you were into guits back then, must have seem some failed examples as well.

Just sayin.

Igonuts

Reaction score
Choices of wood out of China, I've read, are not what they are coming out Epi USA plant. Descriptions of wood types are generic from China. Specific *species* of a given type of wood will e a factor. Not always listed in specs.

IMHO.....

Last edited:

3bolt79

Reaction score
Yeah, you all are right. I would really have to give it some thought. You may have to file a little off the horn tip or not I don’t know. I’m not really comfortable with that kind of wood work. I don’t mind neck dive so much. I can handle that okay. I just would rather the guitar not fall away from my body quite as much. I play 95% with a strap so I guess I just notice it a little more. No big deal though. I’m really loving this guitar! It’s made so well!
Try one of these from Sweetwater. all sorts of choices in these. I used one with the factory strap buttons on a Les Paul Studio. The guitar will stay put. The nylon versions are just over 20 bucks.

Alanbama

Reaction score
I have Dunlop strap locks on all of my guitars and straps. I have been using them for years. But those straps look really good. Thanks.

Alanbama

Reaction score
I can handle neck dive. That’s not really the problem. This is my first SG and because the strap hooks so low on the guitar and it’s on the back, I’m not used to a guitar hanging away from my body like they do. I’m used to it hugging my body more. It’s not that big of a deal and I’m sure that I will get used to it.

Igonuts

Reaction score
So i just tested only one sg. One i hate due to serious neck dive (and other issues). Chose it for that reason. '17 epi sg std faded.
Noted there are factors that make an sg *seem to have more or less neck dive.

If i wear a button dress shirt, she really dives. Wide strap w button, less, but still dives. Wear guit high, less dive. Wear low, dives big time.
Tight T-shirt, same as above but to a lessor degree.

If i stand w the neck pitched up a bit, very slow dive. Makes sense as neck mass is closer to the fulcrum. Neck horizontal, she's gone.
My bro is round. 280lbs. Wearing up high (JR-608), less apt to dive. Mid body, it wants to go.

My conclusion is;
Body build, clothing, strap, wear high/low, neck pitched up/level, all are factors. So one for allsolution for an unballanced Sg isn't feasable.
-----
Edit, save counter weight ballancing. Duh.
------
Again, for testing purposes, i chose an sg that has serious nepk dive to accentuate to testing results.
Some of these conditions, i never thought about.

Last edited:

Alanbama

Reaction score
I have to agree with you. I tend to wear a guitar a little on the high side so it really doesn’t dive much. I’m kinda old school about that. lol. I just can’t play one slung low.

Igonuts

Reaction score
Wha?
I read wiki. mayb i got it wrong? Epi manufacturing some in the US as opposed to overseas (China, Indonesia, etc) Kalamazoo/NY. Enlighten me. Ty.

Point should still be valid re wood from China, hand picked or not, unspecified species, not *necessarily of a quality that may or may not be suitable for horn strap hardware. As i said, "IMHO"
respect, always learning from this sites members and their knowlege/experience..

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
What are you doing the modification for, aesthetics or function. Assuming it’s neck dive, buy a good strap and be done with it. I have a number of SG’s and non have neck dive.

Exactly! Just don't buy a plastic strap. Buy a quality leather strap with the rough back and never think of neck dive again.

It does sound like for the OP neck dive isn't an issue but rather the guitar wanting to tilt forward because the strap is on the back. I can't say I've experienced that but I guess I see how it could.

papagayo

Reaction score
What are you doing the modification for, aesthetics or function. Assuming it’s neck dive, buy a good strap and be done with it. I have a number of SG’s and non have neck dive.

I' m agree, no neck dive issue with my SGs but they are Gibson USA made, the wood is not the same .

Centre of gravity on my 2015 SG Standard ('61 RI design)

SG Standard TBK 250.jpg

Use fishing lead and glue it into the controls cavity with neoprene.

Temp 48021.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts