I have'nt been around in a while.

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by edselman, Apr 19, 2021.

1. edselman

edselman Member

It's been quite some time since I last posted, but now that I have four SG's the time for a return seems right. With that said, I just picked up a sort-of vintage 1976 SG Standard in walnut. With the exception of the switch plate, it's all original. I bought a somewhat dinged up plate from a '94 Les Paul Studio. Just between us, I think Norlins are vintage and need love too. IMG_5155.jpeg IMG_5156.jpeg IMG_5172.jpeg IMG_5179.jpeg IMG_5184.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

Welcome back. That's an awesome SG. An SG from the hard rockin' era! I grew up seeing those Norlin ones as the SG's to have, which maybe I'm in the odd crowd, because I prefer them to the 61' RI type by leaps and bounds.

edselman likes this.
  3. edselman

edselman Member

I bought my first new, quality guitar in 1972, a cherry SG Standard with a rosewood fretboard. I sold it down the road. Life happened.

4. Musicmasterfuzz

Musicmasterfuzz New Member

Indeed, Norlins are vintage and many sound great. They probably had a bad reputation because of the Les Pauls that weighed way too much compared to those of the 50's, but this is not the case with SGs whose weight remained correct in the 70's. Let's wait for Gibson to release a reissue of the 70's models with their narrow necks and versatile R'N'Roll tarback pickups and the Norlin SG's will be back in favor with today's guitarists. I have a 74 and a 76 and love them both.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021