I love cheap pedals.

Discussion in 'Effects' started by VanDerchuck, Jan 17, 2015.

1. VanDerchuck

VanDerchuck Active Member

And this one is my most recent favorite. It's a Joyo clone of the Mad Professor clone of the Bear Foot Honey Bee and it's awesome. I did have to mod it though. Still worth it. I removed the two clipping LED's and put in some regular 3mm red and green and made it switchable between the two. Anyone else have a liking for cheap pedals?

[​IMG]

Tazz3 likes this.
  2. Crazy_8

Crazy_8 Well-Known Member

Joyo makes some real cool sounding pedals, don't they?

CATMANDUE likes this.
  3. VanDerchuck

VanDerchuck Active Member

I've tried 4 so far. The Analog Chorus and the Analog Delay I've sent back. The chorus modulates when the signal is bypassed and I thought that was kind of lame for a "True Bypass" pedal. And the Analog Delay really is a great pedal, but for slap back short delay stuff. It gets noisy and Lo-Fi at the longer delay settings. I really like the Vintage Overdrive tubescreamer clone. I also want to try the Ultimate Drive and Crunch Distortion. You can beat great clones for less than $50.00 delivered to your house.

4. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Joyo's Ultimate Drive WILL cause you to leave a stain! :wow:

It's that good!! Really...

And I love low buck stompboxes too!!:thumb:

Kris Ford likes this.
  5. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Cheap pedals? Well... I have used a Cool Cat stereo chorus ped forever, but when I got the new ped board it doesn't really fit well. SO, my dude at Sweetwater suggested I try a new stereo chorus ped from Begringer... because it will fit better. (I know, dumb reason) I did and let me tell you that it works very well. Takes a little bit of adjustment like any ped... but it's cool! AND for the $25 it is well worth it. It is the Behringer Ultra Chorus UC200.

[​IMG]

Alex_SG likes this.
  6. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

Wade, I think you and I discussed this a ways back, but I'm wanting a RAT pedal again, the last one I had was from '91-92, which I bought new then..and loved, I'd love to explore one again, and see how nasty it can make my already X rated filthy dirty sound I get from my '78 Marshall 100 Watt Master Volume Super Lead...:naughty: Do you think that the ones with the LM308 chip are better? Ideally I'd love to compare the new vs the old RAT, but will probably have to order from eBay..
    I have been watching auctions for older ones though...thoughts?

7. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

Kris, I've listened to some YouTube demos of the Rat and the LM308 chipped ones seem a bit more compressed than the newer ones to my ears. I've never had the chance to try a new one.
    I will say I LOVE my reissue from the 90's with the LM308 in it. It sounds MEAN through the 68 Bassman!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  8. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

The Mooer Black Secret is a good clone of the Rat and Turbo Rat (it has a switch to go between them)

The Behringer HM-300 is a clone of the Boss HM-2 that people have used with good results. Might lack a little of the bottom of the original Japan-made Boss units though

9. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

Oh, and I consider my Rat a "cheap" pedal as it was an old rental unit that was for sale at the Long and McQuade in Surrey B.C. Got it for 65 bucks!

10. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

I like my Joyo;s
    they are all I have on my pedal board now besides the RAT
    Wade told me about them awhile back since then that's
    all I use. they work for me . US dream Vintage OD
    dyna compressor jt 305 tuner and ultimate drive most folks like the Ultimate or vintage oD but I prefer the US dream over both after
    using all 3 od extensively I have found the US dream a smoother
    sounding OD dirtier than the Vintage yet smoother than the ultimate drive.
    frankd
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tEnAubS98c"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tEnAubS98c[/ame]

Alex_SG likes this.
  11. Tobacco Worm

Kris, I've had a RAT since they first came out. In that time, I've gone through three of 'em. The one I have now is one of the "new" ones and frankly I can't tell a bit of difference. :dunno: Now that the "new" RATs are out, folks are charging an arm and a leg for anything that's an older unit and I think that's just wrong. But folks are gonna do what they want and others are gonna have to pay the price or get something different.

Now for something's that really wild, the Biyang DS-8 Mouse is like a Vintage RAT, a Turbo RAT, and a RAT on steroids! It works with dual diodes and other stuff via a three way switch that takes if form that familiar RAT sound up to just short of an Atlas Missile during blast off! :wow:

[​IMG]

They're discontinued now but still can be had for very low cost when you can find one. Dead silent switch and no signal draw when off. It's like three RATs in one. And it works with the standard A/C adapters as opposed to the RAT that uses a 1/8th inch micro-phono jack and reversed polarity. :)

Kris Ford likes this.
  12. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

Apart from my Boss DS1, none of my pedals cost me more than $70

I have a few Behringers (about $40 Each), a Joyo American Sound ($45, a Tech 21 Blonde clone) and a Biyang Baby Boom Delay, around $40.

From memory my Vox v847 Wah only cost me $65 from a pawn shop, too!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  13. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

Right on, I watched a bunch of comparison videos and ultimately, I chose the Turbo Rat, as it has the most gain, but they all great! I did check out the Mooer and other clones, but I think the Turbo will be the one for me!

14. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I still use my DS-1.

I also am fond of the cheap but surprisingly good sounding Danelectro FAB pedals.

I can say that I own NO boutique pedals (other than a loop station), and the ones I have tried are all WAY overpriced for what they do.

The looper is my only expensive pedal, and it's paid for itself many times over on solo and duet gigs.

I have nothing against expensive pedals but so far I'm content to use cheapies, since they seem to sound just as good to my ear.

15. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

David, what pedals do you recommend for reverb/echo, ZZ Top type overdrive and chorus?
    ;>)/

16. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of chorus, so I rarely use any, hardly ever, and when I do I get it from the FX built into my SCXD or Vypyr VIP-2; thus my recommendation is useless in that area. I use flanging or phasing a bit more often.

As far as nailing a ZZ Top tone, I've never tried since Billy G, good as he is, is not one of the players I emulate. (Ask me about getting a Steve Howe, Ritchie Blackmore or John McLaughlin tone!) It think the OD can get some of his sound for certain, though.

However, of the cheap FAB pedals these fit your bill:

Most of my amps have reverb, but you can get a nice almost reverb effect, and of course a nice slap-back, with the FAB Echo- it's ready-made for rockabilly or old-school country pickin':

[​IMG]

I use the 600ms delay for long echoes, although you can set it for slap back too - surprisingly good delay for under 20 bucks:

[​IMG]

I also use two different OD/distortions:

https://cheapnastyeffects.wordpress.com/2014/02/05/pedal-review-danelectro-fab-overdrive/

'Danelectro Fab Overdrive. A cheap and cheerful overdrive that you can pick up for peanuts and sounds like something you bought for 3 times the amount"

"nice smooth compressed overdrive. It’s not transparent as it will roll away certain frequencies the more you start to push the gain levels. Speaking of tone, don’t expect a mid hump like a TS808 its more of a Fender-ish overdrive."

I don't stack OD pedals, so the complaints about the FAB OD are not important to my playing. I like this one to add a bit of grit, or a whole lot of grit, as needed.

[​IMG]

For more distortion, I use either my old DS-1 or this"

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Danelectro-D-1-Distortion-Effects-Pedal/product-reviews/B0009DXEEM

reviews

from another

"I was skeptical when I ordered this because it was priced so low but I read the reviews and they were all favorable so I decided to go for it. Man, I am floored as to how great this pedal sounds."

I often set up both pedals, using the OD for a lighter slightly crunchy rock tone, and either the DS-1 or the FAB Distortion for the thick dark fusion-rock tone, typically lots of distortion with the tone rolled almost off. Woman tone on steroids.

I also have one of the more expensive "Cool Cat" Transparent overdrives, and it has a variety of good tone in it, but somehow I wind up using the FAB pedals more often.

CAVEAT - I do not care about things like true bypass, hand wiring, etc. I care about function for the money I spend. Yes these pedals may have some limitations when pushed to extremes ( so do many boutique pedals for that matter), but I find that for general use, reproducing classic rock, blues, and other tones, they work very well.

I limit my pedal chain to 4-6 pedals at most, and as such the true bypass thing isn't much of an issue - I may like the buffering a bit anyway. Even with my pedals I play clean a lot of the time, so I do need the basic guitar tone to come through too.

Anyway, that's my 2 bits' worth about the Dano FAB pedals.

17. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Thanks!
    ;>)/

dbb likes this.
  18. Tobacco Worm

I really enjoy seeing threads like this one. It shows us all that even though there are some people that are, shall we say, pedal snobs, they ain't here! Our bunch can safely say that we're far more into tone with a budget. Joyo, Biyang, Danelectro, Berringer, and a host of other makes that I probably would misspell as just as bad, are turning out some fine examples of electronics that perform far beyond most of our own capabilities. In essence I'm saying that if one spends over $400 on a pedal that can be easily reproduced for $40 is that intelligent or simply arrogant? :hmm: I tend to believe it's the latter. Folks here are far to smart to be fooled by the high dollar hype dished out by the "booteek biz" to fall for spending their hard earned money on a name just for the sake of having that name on a little box on the floor. The kids here that "Mother ESG" raised are far to sharp for that!:)

19. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Sharp as the two points on an SG body. :thumb:

I'm not trashing expensive pedals....if the makers can get the price for them and people think they are worth the money, bless 'em both!

BUT

I've played hundreds of pedals, including testing items at work and going to NAMM as a buyer.

I cannot see paying enough money to buy a decent guitar for a typical stompbox. That's me being cheap, but y'all know that already! :laugh2::laugh2:

Most of the pedals we are discussing can be made at home with a bit of skill and patience - even kits are available on line. This ain't brain surgery.

If a company can come up with a working device at a really low cost, I'm all for it. Thus I love those FAB pedals, and all the other cheap but nice pedals mentioned.

20. V_1

V_1 Guest

I don't know if Gibbons does it like this, but some of his tones can be approximated with a cocked wah and distortion.

dbb likes this.