I love cheap pedals.

Discussion in 'Effects' started by VanDerchuck, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Psychobilly444

Psychobilly444 Well-Known Member

What does "BOM" mean?

2. Psychobilly444

Gonna rock the VDC Modded OverDirve pedal! Can't wait! :rofl:

3. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

The guy didn't play the fuzz lower than 12 o'clock and it was maxed most of the time. For me, the best area for that pedal is from minimum fuzz to half way because you can get a boost, a nice sweet overdrive, interesting fuzz and distortion sounds in that range. Once I try it with a bigger amp, I'll feed back again because it might be a really decent pedal for the price. I'll compare it with my EHX Germanium 4 Big Muff Pie.

I've seen those nux overdrives at $25 which seems amazing value for a great little pedal.

Edit to add, the distortion is really nice for power chords, but I can't really get a nice tone on the jazzier Hendrix chords. It might just be the Fly not taking pedals too well (can actually sound quite shrill on the US ISF side, not so bad on the UK ISF side).

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  4. Psychobilly444

Found the Nux OD for $17.00 plus $3.99 shipping from lovely Communist California!

VanDerchuck likes this.
  5. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

Considering that it plays as well as the industry standard which is $100+ that's a great buy.

VanDerchuck likes this.
  6. VanDerchuck

VanDerchuck Active Member

That's pretty awesome. Where did you find it, and do you want to try and get that one into the OverDirve enclosure?

7. Psychobilly444

Nah, PM me and we can set up the build for the OverDirve. Like I said, I'm pretty solder-savvy.

8. flatrockmobile

flatrockmobile Well-Known Member

"Bill of materials" aka parts list

9. flatrockmobile

flatrockmobile Well-Known Member

I picked up one of these the other day for some dirt in front of my Fender Pro Junior. This thing has some BALLS. $27 on ebay

10. doyouread me

doyouread me Member

I couldn't agree with you more if you put 2 rigs together let's say a Gibson custom shop SG special with a hand wired ac 15 and 3 boutique pedals costing £150 each and put it against an epi SG61 reissue with a VOX VT,30 on the AC15 setting and 3 EHX pedals for say £60 each which would sound the best probably the boutique rig, however that rig costs about £3000 where as the cheaper rig would probably be under £500, do you think the difference in tone is worth £2500, to some people like pro musicians it probably is but for me I'm more than happy with the cheaper or its it really just better value, I guess what I'm saying I'd we really do have it good these days you can get a great sounding set up that would be OK doing small gigs for £500, how good is that I mean the listeners probably can't tell the difference.

11. VanDerchuck

Bringing this up from the dead for a new favorite.

$31.00 delivered to the house.

I've been through some delay pedals over the past year. TCFlashback, Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail, MXR Carbon Copy Brite, Wampler Faux Tape Echo, Wampler Faux Analog Echo and a Vox Time Machine.

And they all had their pros and cons. I liked all of them for the most part. I borrowed a number of them from friends. Bought one local that I kept. Bought and sent back the rest online.

But delay pedals are expensive. And I get tired of their quirks pretty quickly. So, having my favorite analog delay I thought I'd find a digital that I like. Because they are so different and both are useful.

But digital delays can sound dirty and low Fi. Most if not all digital delays are run on a cheap digital chip (PT2399) that is very temperamental. Its available and no one has made a better one yet. A simple circuit that uses this chip will give a good quick repeat, kind of like slapback without the coloring of the tone. But longer repeats get distorted. Without getting into technical jargon that I mostly don't understand , the more complicated circuits work to get rid of this noise in the longer repeats. And a great digital delay makes it mostly unnoticeable.

The reason I like this pedal is because that noise is held to a minimum on par with the Wamplers that I've tried. It is a clone of the Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay. I have never tried the original, but only because there isn't a local shop with one.

This is the second Caline pedal I've tried. I bought the Caline Super Chorus off of Reverb and it sucked. It uses the same digital chip (PT2399). It didn't work right from the beginning. I 86'd the guts and built a Distortion+ in the enclosure. Now it sounds great.

I'm very impressed with the sound of this delay. I can't get over the price tag. For a player on a budget I would highly recommend this pedal. It sounds good. It's a lot of fun to play. And it won't break the bank

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  12. CATMANDUE

CATMANDUE Well-Known Member

I love Joyo and Danelectro pedals as much as anyone here. I feel I should also come up with the friendly reminder of how great Moen pedals are as well. I have two which I really dig and I found out about both of them from this awesome forum. They are the Moo Fuzz and Shaky Jimi. Both of these are bad ass pedals.

VanDerchuck likes this.
  13. VanDerchuck

Catmandue: Yes. The Shaky Jimi is on my list. It's an interesting circuit and a great sounding one too. It's made up of LED's and photocells. Very interesting. And it's on my to-try list.

Here's my last suggestion for 2016.

Ammoon Nano Looper

I got it off Amazon for $29.99 and it works great. Super easy to use even though the directions are minimal. Sounds good through out the loop and it hasn't shown any fizz that the Boss looper did. Like all pedals on Amazon it fluctuates in price. But if you keep checking they run from $29.99-$39.99. At its highest price it's still worth the money.

[​IMG]

CATMANDUE likes this.
  14. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

With two jacks, a switch, USB, a capacitor and a led light, is there any room left for a circuit in there ?
    Don't tell me there's a 9V battery enclosure ...

Looks a lot like the Ditto that I have. Great friend it is. It'll never nag your playing, it can only be as good as you.