I love it when playing guitar brings tears to your eyes

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by Karathas, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Karathas

Karathas Well-Known Member

I have been learning a few blues techniques lately; blues shuffles, scale forms and various blues riffs. This morning when i was practicing it all started to gel..all my boring riffs that i was learning started to work into a shuffle rhythm. I was doing 6th and 7th chords all over the place..then i started doing triplets..it was like the shuffle came out as something new.

I have been learning blues riffs with alot of double stops in them. So today as i started riffing out with the shuffle rhythm and triplets, I started doing triple stops and even a few quad stops.. I didn't even know you could do triple stops and quad stops.

Needless to say it was mind blowing...I cried a little from the joy of it

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    WavMixer, eS.G. and RVA like this.
  2. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

Awesome!!
    Its a great feeling to see real progress in your playing.
    Or so I have heard.......

Karathas likes this.
  3. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Well done and Congrats!!!

But as opposed to tears in my eyes --- I prefer when playing guitar makes girls clothes fall off ;)

WavMixer and Karathas like this.
  4. Karathas

It's those Epiphany moments that really make me practice. When you start doing things you didn't think you could do, It makes you feel like its all worth while.. It's addicting actually.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    eS.G. and frankd like this.
  5. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

I had a moment like that a couple of years ago. I was home by myself and just noodling when everything just came together. The sad part is nobody else was there to hear it, I wasn't recording it and now I don't remember what i was playing. This is why I always keep me cell phone near me so I can start recording before I forget what I just did.

Karathas likes this.
  6. Karathas

I don't really practice songs. I practice scales and riffs and technical stuff. Great to have all those individual things coalesce into something like what happened this morning...I feel like my playing went up a notch

DrBGood likes this.
  7. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Feel like sharing some of those sounds with us ?

8. ChaseB

ChaseB Well-Known Member

My guitar playing has brought me to tears but because of how horrible I sound lol. I've also been working on blues stuff, my leads are super weak, but I refuse to do any lessons, it just kills the fun of it for me.

peejaybee, Sp8ctre and frankd like this.
  9. Karathas

thats how it is for me most of the time...endless practice of scales..and doing shuffles and other forms...but something clicked...and today it worked..

I take lessons but usually it works out to once a month. in the meantime i practice what i learned...usually by the time i take another lesson i have already absorbed what he showed me and have taken it a bit further along the line....I try to practice a couple of hours a day...

Most of the time it is hard slogging tho...feel like you are getting nowhere with it..thats when i switch it up and try something new.. it helps that i have 5 guitars...keeps it from getting stale as fast

ChaseB and frankd like this.
  10. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

I don't practice scales or method I just play and try and learn a song sometimes it goes fast and easy
    sometimes I may only nail the into or vice versa if its a good song which I try to pick those I feel are.
    I will always come back and get it eventually. Some would say well you are just learning one song
    true but like learning Billy gibbons brown sugar intro is the same lick from Buddy guys rollin and tumbling.
    Or Gary Rich raths flying turkey trot same riff maneuver in the Heavys big bad wolf . So im saying I find a lot of the same thing in a different context . This week
    I been working on some Doyle bramhall arc angels stuff and Tab benoit's shelter me.
    Watching Doyle is kinda useless because he plays strung upside down but I can still research him and get some insight
    which I also like to do when im learning a persons song it helps me to kinda try and learn how they play.
    But anyway you dice it playing is playing the most important thing is to keep pushing yourself and hopefully enjoying it like a body builder no pain no gain eventually either you learn to love it or not

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  11. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

BENOIT!!! :dude::dude:

12. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Yeah I like Tab plays with a lot of heart and feel .

But ya wanna see something freaky Dogs
    Bramhall and Snowy white.

eS.G. likes this.
  13. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

HEy its that Pink ---or Floyd guy or something......

Strats and Lesters playing nicely together :wow: its VOODOO! :shock::naughty::rofl::rofl:

14. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Sometime ago I was struggling to learn a song. I primarily do chords and argegios. Just too many mistakes. Frustrated. Then I read something from someone that knows this stuff and I had one of those ahh ha moments. In essence he said, stop trying to emulate the artist of the song you're trying to learn. You can't/won't ever do it. Play it like you. Your personallity and skill level. Your interpretation. Make it yours.

Well..... I picked up my guitar and played thru the song top to bottom without stopping. Warts and all. Sounded awful, but it felt so good to do there might have been a tear or two.

Still can't play the song worth poop but I do it well enough anyone here would know what the song is.

Karathas likes this.
  15. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

That's a very valid point Iblive
    Many songs the artist who wrote it may never play it twice exactly the same way.
    Good example Mary had a little lamb most guys try to emulate Stevie rays version
    I try to do more Buddys original version but then kinda twist it towards my own
    interpretation . Especially the solos guys like Buddy g and Billy g make it hard to
    nail the solo.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  16. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

This just happened to me today! More borne of the fact that's it been so darned long since I played some solid rock through a high-gain amp on a guitar and oh how I have missed it without even realising it...

It's fun to dabble with other genres when playing the bass, but some good, strong rock guitar is sometimes just what you need.

But now my fingers hurt. Stupid cheese wire strings :D

eS.G., peejaybee and Karathas like this.
  17. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

with blues I like to try to " Make time stand still " so to speak ... It's definitely an out of body experience into another Consciousness of dimension

Karathas likes this.