I might be getting a faded........

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by zrAC/DC, Mar 17, 2007.

1. zrAC/DC

zrAC/DC Active Member

I am getting a Gibson SG faded. Can any of you tell me any info on it? Show me some pics? I played a few of them and there is only 1 really, really good one. The other 4 or 7 that i played were ok. I mean the quality on them was as good as my epi.

,Thanks if you can help

2. mikeystool

mikeystool Well-Known Member

Re: I'm getting faded........

[quote author=zrAC/DC link=topic=12793.msg166926#msg166926 date=1174134499]
    I am getting a Gibson SG faded. Can any of you tell me any info on it? Show me some pics? I played a few of them and there is only 1 really, really good one. The other 4 or 7 that i played were ok. I mean the quality on them was as good as my epi.    

,Thanks if you can help
    [/quote]i got a faded,(i replaced the pickups though, cause i was thought they were just a bit muddy) i love it..but ill tell ya, the other guitar player in our band just got a G-400, and it was a big improvement from her crappy ibanez(low budget one)..i swapped with her for a bit a practice the other day..and there was a big difference IMO, and hers...the bridge pup on the epi was ok, the neck one was bad...the feel of it was ok, thought the epi neck was weighed down, if you let go the neck dropped down, just wasnt balanced like the gibson..i know the tuners were good, but i perfer the lighter snot green ones on the gibby..the finish is nice one the epi, as compaired to the gibby, but do like faded look..for the price they are nowadays (i got mine when they were near $700.), its a steal if you ask me...i just started saving for my next one THE SG CLASSIC!!!! By summer i hope, then im gonna totally use the faded for band shows and stuff, and not have to worry about babying it as much, and ill baby the classic...

3. zrAC/DC

zrAC/DC Active Member

Re: I'm getting a faded........

Thanks for the info. Epiphone's are way off balanced I hate that. Mine I have to hold the neck on it the whole time I'm playing it. It sucks

My 150th post.

4. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

[​IMG]

I love mine.

5. cherry sg

cherry sg Member

I've got an '02 faded and it's GREAT!!! Like many others, I thought the bridge p/u left a bit to be desired, but that's easy to deal with. Swap out the pickups, pots, caps for better quality pieces; add a good setup, and you'll have a killer guitar that reflects what YOU like for a fraction of the cost!!!

6. Codemeister

Codemeister Member

If anything, I would at least upgrade the bridge and tailpiece to tonepros, and put in pickups.

Check these guys out:
    http://store.guitarfetish.com/humbuckers.html

About 1/2 the price of the average Duncan/DiMarzio, but I hear they are really good. I was thinking about getting a Mean 90 or Loudmouth for my Dean.

7. zrAC/DC

zrAC/DC Active Member

I might not get a faded. I went to daddys junky music and guitar center today. I could'nt find any good Gibson SG faded's. I found the BEST 61 re'issue I have ever played in my life. I didnt play a good faded though. So next week is when I make my purchase hopefally somebody buys one of the faded's that weren't that good and they put a good out between now and then. I might buy a fender that I played today it was good. There is still the chance I get my dream guitar. The sg. I dont have $1869.99 for the 61 re'issue though. If I did I would be playing that right now and not writing this.

8. EveryMn

EveryMn Active Member

I've played 2 brown fadeds and digged them both... for the $550ish they want for them they're a good deal.

9. zrAC/DC

zrAC/DC Active Member

When I go back up there next week I will play all the faded's. If there isn't one that I like then I will just save another 6 months for the Standard.

10. EveryMn

EveryMn Active Member

[quote author=zrAC/DC link=topic=12793.msg167127#msg167127 date=1174227846]
    When I go back up there next week I will play all the faded's. If there isn't one that I like then I will just save another 6 months for the Standard.
    [/quote]
    Why save 6 months for a Standard when you could save 12 for a VOS? :p

11. cherry sg

cherry sg Member

VOS.. :Droolin: :Droolin: :Droolin: It can be tough picking out a guitar, especially when the factory setup isn't that good, but but you're on the right track IMHO. Just wait until you find THAT guitar and it'll be worth it.

12. zrAC/DC

zrAC/DC Active Member

My dream guitar is the standard thats why. You can buy me the VOS if you want. ;D I am only on the budget for maybe a standard by august or septemeber.

13. EveryMn

EveryMn Active Member

Damn, all this talk of the VOS makes me want one... in white. Yeah. :Droolin:

14. angus

angus Active Member

[quote author=zrAC/DC link=topic=12793.msg166926#msg166926 date=1174134499]

,Thanks if you can help
    [/quote]
    I love my faded, although the only bad part is that the finish is a little weak. I would recommend some 2 or 3 bottles of Gibson polish because it adds a little Lacquer and strengthens the wood.

As Far as quality goes, just set it up and It will play as good as a friggin Angus Young Signature. Garunteed. Keep in mind that the pickups have alittle less output than other Gibson PUPs, so When Lowering and Raising them be sure they're high enough for a good output sound!

Now, You may be asking, Pics? Of Course!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. Raging Taco

Raging Taco Member

dude i got a USED faded not too long ago from my idiot of a friend who traded me for an epi lp custom. to be honest, it played SOO BAD... but i gave it a little set up, and some love... and it feels like home. i dont know if everyone get this way about a certain guitar... but i feel like i CONNECT with this one, theres just something about it that makes it mine. and that makes it more valuble to me than any higher end sg, and i have a standard too which i also love. i know that may sound really silly to most of you, but... i dunno man, its just MY guitar. dings, scratches and all.

16. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

[quote author=angus link=topic=12793.msg167182#msg167182 date=1174246973]

I love my faded, although the only bad part is that the finish is a little weak. I would recommend some 2 or 3 bottles of Gibson polish because it adds a little Lacquer and strengthens the wood.
    [/quote]

Since when does Gibson Guitar polish contain Lacquer? ;D ;D

17. mikeystool

mikeystool Well-Known Member

[quote author=brucewayne131 link=topic=12793.msg167293#msg167293 date=1174286606]

Since when does Gibson Guitar polish contain Lacquer? ;D ;D
    [/quote]i was gonna say "where can i get that stuff?" :?

18. NeoConMan

NeoConMan New Member

(Shivers up the spine....)

God, I can only imagine what my Gibsons would look like by now if that polish had lacquer in it!

I wouldn't be posting pics on here, that's for damned sure . . . . :cry:

Neo

19. cherry sg

cherry sg Member

Raging Taco I feel the same way!! I definately have an emotional attachment to all my guitars, but in a different way for each of them. Kind of hard explaining that to my wife though..she just looks at me like I'm crazy! ;D ;D ;D

20. Raging Taco

Raging Taco Member

luckily i dont have a wife to think im crazy yet. my parents on the other hand think im RETARDED... i save every penny to put into the guitar fund, and as soon as i can get something sweet to add to my rig i go for it. the funny thing is though... my dad alone has like 13 guitars, and thinks IM the crazy one. its madness i tell you