I Moved My Strap Button!

Knucklehead71

Reaction score
Yes, and like I said the only thing I would debate is that it (neck dive) is a design flaw. My SG weighs in a shade under 5 pounds, and neck dives like a Mo'Fo with a slick nylon strap. A suede strap solves the problem. My SG weighs about half of what my Les Paul does, and still looks, feels, and plays great.

My only point was that Gibson designed the guitar they built on purpose, and neck dive was considered an acceptable tradeoff, if it was even considered at all. If Neck dive is a major concern for a player I can understand that, and the SG is probably not going to be a guitar they will be happy with. When I got mine there were several things that bugged me for a week or so, but once I got it sorted with a grippy strap and adapted to the instrument I wouldn't change a thing.

I bought the SG thinking it was the same as a Les Paul just a little different looking. Nope. It is a LOT different. Like it or hate it, the balance issue is part of the package. You can add weight, but that negates a major advantage for the stage player doing several shows a week looking for a bit of shoulder relief.

Also, Congrats on making your own instruments! By all means make them what you want, and I wish you all the best success in the world. I also promise not to call it a design flaw if they come in a few pounds heavier than mine! :D

Hey, I went from playing Les Pauls and other LP style guitars for years, so anything that's not a boat anchor is an improvement. I never bonded with the SGs I owned in the past and a large part of that was the neck dive issue. I just can't wear a suede strap. All my straps are slick seatbelt type material. However once I acquired one that didn't neck dive, it was a game changer. It's not just the weight of the guitar for me. It's the entire feel of it. The shape of the guitar, the thickness, just everything about it feels that much more comfortable to me than a Les Paul, or god forbid, a Strat.

Anyway, regarding the thickness, lets not call it a design flaw then, How about just a minor oversight? I don't think that adding 1/8" body thickness will alter the weight significantly, but it will certainly help with the neck dive.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
Anyway, regarding the thickness, lets not call it a design flaw then, How about just a minor oversight? I don't think that adding 1/8" body thickness will alter the weight significantly, but it will certainly help with the neck dive.
I would call it a difference of priorites. Adding a pound to mine would eliminate neck dive, but that would be a 20% increase in weight which would be significant by any measure. Is it worth it? It depends on your priorities, and I really can't fault someone for their priorities with regard to something as personal as the ergonomics of a musical instrument. It is subjective on it's face and I will never tell someone my priorities are better than theirs.

"Fixing" neck dive on the SG design is possible if that is important to you, just not without some sacrifice in another area. I thought about adding a Bigsby to mine 30 years ago, and that would have "fixed" it, but today I am glad I couldn't afford to do it at the time and left it as it is. That's all I am saying.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
Yup, a suede strap has been working for me for 3 decades now. Really any strap with some grip to it will work, but suede has that late 60's / early 70's vibe that I covet in the SG, so there is that.

papagayo

Reaction score
You have neck dive issue with your Epiphone?

Install a set of KLUSON Revolution, those tuners are incredible, 1/19 high ration, very smooth knobs and the weight is lighter than the Gibson Deluxe.

SG Standard TBK 206.jpg

If you want an historic design choose the SCHALLER G Double ring.

Gibson SG '61 Proprietary 58.JPG

Alanbama

Reaction score
I personally use a 3” wide cotton strap by Levi’s and it works really good. I didn’t really move my strap buttons because of neck dive actually, I did it because I just prefer it there. And I’m very pleased with the results. I have the Modern Figured SG with a 3/4”maple cap on it with a figured laminated overlay on it and that sucker is pretty heavy! It’s very well balanced. If anything it has body dive!😀

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
I personally use a 3” wide cotton strap by Levi’s and it works really good. I didn’t really move my strap buttons because of neck dive actually, I did it because I just prefer it there. And I’m very pleased with the results. I have the Modern Figured SG with a 3/4”maple cap on it with a figured laminated overlay on it and that sucker is pretty heavy! It’s very well balanced. If anything it has body dive!😀
Body dive! That reminds me of sitting with a Les Paul.

Reaction score
I would call it a difference of priorites. Adding a pound to mine would eliminate neck dive, but that would be a 20% increase in weight which would be significant by any measure. Is it worth it? It depends on your priorities, and I really can't fault someone for their priorities with regard to something as personal as the ergonomics of a musical instrument. It is subjective on it's face and I will never tell someone my priorities are better than theirs.

"Fixing" neck dive on the SG design is possible if that is important to you, just not without some sacrifice in another area. I thought about adding a Bigsby to mine 30 years ago, and that would have "fixed" it, but today I am glad I couldn't afford to do it at the time and left it as it is. That's all I am saying.

The amount of weight you need to correct neck dive is minimal. Try hanging some fishing weights off the butt end and see what it takes. It's only a few ounces IME.

You can fit that much in the control cavity. You could even drill recesses into the butt end from the cavity if you don't want it getting in the way. 90 degree drill needed.

But, the rough strap does the same for me. Leather with an unfinished interior, which is my preference anyway.

Oh, and don't wear silk shits. Glam-Rock is dead.

guitalias

Reaction score
I'm new to SG, have just bought a MIK 1998 Epiphone SG. Been thinking through the neck dive issue, though I use a natural leather strap I find it isn't too bad. But I wonder if I cut a square hole in the leather strap so the original strap button is used but the top horn passes through the top horn. I'm thinking that might work without making any alteration to the guitar.

TheDixiePig

Reaction score
Just gonna throw this out there, I wonder if some of the neck dive problems with SG's people have is based on how they wear it. I noticed if I tried to wear mine like a strat, in front of me and above the waist, it wasn't very ergonomic. The nut seems too far away and the headstock tends to want to dive. However, and I think I got this from someone on this forum, if you wear it slightly lower, off to one side with the neck at an upward angle this issue disappears. I also use a suede backed strap, but I do this with everything. My particular SG is well balanced and stays put unless I'm jumping around like I got a 110V cable up my butt, but I've been wearing it like I described just because it feels better. That being said, everyone is different, and however you hold your instrument if it's comfortable, and makes you happy, then by all means keep doing what you like.

papagayo

Reaction score
Here is what you need ...

temp-48132-jpg.49477

DrBGood

Reaction score
I'm new to SG, have just bought a MIK 1998 Epiphone SG. Been thinking through the neck dive issue, though I use a natural leather strap I find it isn't too bad. But I wonder if I cut a square hole in the leather strap so the original strap button is used but the top horn passes through the top horn. I'm thinking that might work without making any alteration to the guitar.
I like that. Did you try it ? Before going at the strap with a knife, Duct Tape ?

DrBGood

Reaction score
One very simple think outside the box solution, is to thread your skinny slippery strap through one pant belt loop.
Strap et ganse.jpg
Or simply behind your belt.
Strap et ceinture.jpg

If you wear a dress, this might not work.

papagayo

Reaction score
If you want an effective, invisible and reversible solution, only one option: lead fishing in the control cavity.
In addition you can otimiser the balance of your Epiphone.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
If you want an effective, invisible and reversible solution, only one option: lead fishing in the control cavity.
In addition you can otimiser the balance of your Epiphone.
I have magnets on all my pots. :D
Not really.