I paid 950$ for a Gibson SG Faded 2005!!!

Steve D

Reaction score
Here ya go, Mr D

I always did like a nice backside.
3QX7JxZ.jpg

Xj6B79p.jpg
This was a 1974 SG Standard I had for a while. In incredible all original condition except for one problem: it reeked of smoke. Brutal.

It was too much, my wife was losing her mind over it so I had to let it go. Someone got a good deal on it, look at that one-piece back!

1974-SG-Standard-Back.jpg

papagayo

Reaction score
Nice! You've got a great deal and also a beautiful guitar. Does Seymour Duncan '59 SH-1 sound better than 490T/490R? Or depend on the style of music you play?

Thanks, I don' t like the 490T and I wanted a PAF set for a soft price. The Seymour Duncan '59 SH-1 are great humbuckers, they sound bright and the sound is hot with a nice presence.

I made a Gibson ABR-1 bridge conversion with brass saddles, I used Faber INSert studs.

SG Faded 111.jpg

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
I paid 400$ for this great 2004 SG Special Faded, a very good deal. I upgraded the pickups with Seymour Duncan '59 SH-1.

View attachment 48288
WOW, $400......those days are gone, eh Chili? I thought I got a good dealio on a 2016 SG Faded new @ GC for $543, ALL-IN...Thatssa SWEET LI'L AXE U got there Chili...looks about perfect....I'm sorry I sold mine, li'l cannon had that 'IT' factor...even if it was acoustically dead sounding...... but when plugged in, it was good enough to gig with....One consolation is that The SG that replaced the Faded Special is the BEST 'SG' I ever played (out of countless)....2017 'SG' Standard, '57's, Locking Grovers & Hard Shell case all out the door for $1299 in March 2017.....compared to today? LOL, good dealio on a Great Guitar...but $400 for that Special.....LOL, aint beatin that today ! Players asking north of $1100 on CL and 'Verb...frikkin' ridic.

MR D

Reaction score
This was a 1974 SG Standard I had for a while. In incredible all original condition except for one problem: it reeked of smoke. Brutal.

It was too much, my wife was losing her mind over it so I had to let it go. Someone got a good deal on it, look at that one-piece back!

1974-SG-Standard-Back.jpg
WOW, too bad bro....did you try lemon oil, cotton soaked rubbing alcohol (on a faded it wont hurt) or good ol' GIBSON Pump Polish to get rid of the stench ? Linseed oil has its own stench as well.....I figure you must have tried to get rid of the smell, but no go, huh ?

Steve D

Reaction score
WOW, too bad bro....did you try lemon oil, cotton soaked rubbing alcohol (on a faded it wont hurt) or good ol' GIBSON Pump Polish to get rid of the stench ? Linseed oil has its own stench as well.....I figure you must have tried to get rid of the smell, but no go, huh ?

I tried a lot of things, it got a bit better but it was inside the guitar. Open the cavity and it was like a cloud of smoke would come out of it (well, smoke stink anyway). Weird because the guitar wasn't yellowed over, the finish was like new (I even took off the pickguard to clean under it and the finish was the same color, no fading at all). It is what it is, I sold it to a really nice guy in Florida who's first guitar was a '74 SG and we traded SG stories for a while and I told him about the smoke stench but he smokes and laughed it off and when he got it he was in love. So it all worked out. And I got to play if for a while, first guitar I had with a bigsby!

MR D

Reaction score
I tried a lot of things, it got a bit better but it was inside the guitar. Open the cavity and it was like a cloud of smoke would come out of it (well, smoke stink anyway). Weird because the guitar wasn't yellowed over, the finish was like new (I even took off the pickguard to clean under it and the finish was the same color, no fading at all). It is what it is, I sold it to a really nice guy in Florida who's first guitar was a '74 SG and we traded SG stories for a while and I told him about the smoke stench but he smokes and laughed it off and when he got it he was in love. So it all worked out. And I got to play if for a while, first guitar I had with a bigsby!
Interesting, those 'Keystones' look GREAT..... I'd imagine the Guy that bought it was in love, madly too...Sad to see it go, were you ? IDK, but I get too attached sometimes....The Norlin era SG's always get a bad rap....but I thought they were just as good as any other GIBSON era 'SG' I played, if not better. Its been a while since but Norlin's seemed heavier by a 1lb or two..... I did not realize the '74 'SG' had a Bigsby, which one ?..I always thought the B-5 'Horseshoe' looked soooo BAD-A$$ on an 'SG'..... I did not use the Vibramate either.....was too tall and made the case squeeze the guitar......so even the B-5 had to go.

May I ask? Did that 'SG' w/Bigsby ever stay in tune ? I did not see one in the pic or did I miss it? IME, Bigsby's just never quite cut it in the TUNING Dept. and its why I got rid of the Bigsby's I had. Even after cutting the NUT slots and getting a Roller-Bridge, that just did not help...I never tried a Roller-or-Locking NUT....but IDK if it would have helped anyways...and....DGMW, Bigsby's look great.......they surely do........I love the way they look (B-5s on an 'SG', are the shizzle!)....but when it comes time to play in front of people there is the never ending re-tuning and it just gets to be a bit much....so I was glad I found the 'Doozy' LT-II....or even a 'MAESTRO' was/is better.

Last edited:

Steve D

Reaction score
Interesting, those 'Keystones' look GREAT..... I'd imagine the Guy that bought it was in love, madly too...Sad to see it go, were you ? IDK, but I get too attached sometimes....The Norlin era SG's always get a bad rap....but I thought they were just as good as any other GIBSON era 'SG' I played, if not better. Its been a while since but Norlin's seemed heavier by a 1lb or two..... I did not realize the '74 'SG' had a Bigsby, which one ?..I always thought the B-5 'Horseshoe' looked soooo BAD-A$$ on an 'SG'..... I did not use the Vibramate either.....was too tall and made the case squeeze the guitar......so even the B-5 had to go.

May I ask? Did that 'SG' w/Bigsby ever stay in tune ? I did not see one in the pic or did I miss it? IME, Bigsby's just never quite cut it in the TUNING Dept. and its why I got rid of the Bigsby's I had. Even after cutting the NUT slots and getting a Roller-Bridge, that just did not help...I never tried a Roller-or-Locking NUT....but IDK if it would have helped anyways...and....DGMW, Bigsby's look great.......they surely do........I love the way they look (B-5s on an 'SG', are the shizzle!)....but when it comes time to play in front of people there is the never ending re-tuning and it just gets to be a bit much....so I was glad I found the 'Doozy' LT-II.
I've had several norlins SGs, they were all heavy. That one was a little over 8 pounds. Ebony board, which was nice. The "Bigsby" was added after the fact, it was a B5 clone probably taken of some import guitar of the era (built like a tank though, which made me wonder about that). I was going to swap a legit B5 for it but the screw holes were a little off. So I left it. Tuning was not the best but I don't use a trem a lot so it worked out okay. It was a beautiful guitar, just reeked of smoke. I'm guessing that it was kept in a case in the home of a very heavy smoker, hence it looking great but stinking like heck.

Here's the front, you can see that the "Bigsby" is off brand but was identical in every way I could see to a real B5 except screw pattern (but a tiny bit) and the lack of Bigsby logo. Worked okay though. The holes from the original stop tail peice were filled with dowells and they did a good job. You can easily see that. It was a really good SG, yes I'd have liked to keep it if I could have purged the stank from it.

2019-07-10-17-04-42-130.jpg

MR D

Reaction score
WOWO, a beauty there ! Looked great but stunk like a mo-fo, too bad, DANG ! I think I'd have been dejected.....glad to hear you took it well...

The dowels look OK, but whoever did that, they did it for a Knock-off Bigsby ! OMG, that's almost unbelievable...IDK if a player would do that today......to a 1974 SG Standard ? I somehow doubt it......but back in the 1970's almost anything sounded like a good idea...I also hear everyone was STONED back then (I wouldn't know, BWAH HA HA !)......so that MIGHT also explain why someone thought it was a good idea ???

Last edited:

Flaps

Reaction score
Always liked The Who and Townshend had a Special. I got a wine red 04 new in 05 as an engagement gift, such a nice guitar to both play and look at. Changed a few cosmetic things but it's still my favourite.

Latest posts