I sold the Origin...

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Logan, May 12, 2020.

1. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

To a very good friend. Sure, it was (and still is) a great amp. But, I’ve always had a hankering for a good ol’ 4 input Marshall, and carrying a 45lb combo was getting old with the 50-watter. So, that being said, what did I get, if I sold my Origin?
    [​IMG]
    I have taken a Studio Vintage Head and 2x12 cab under my wing. What made me get the head and 2x12 cab? I had my eyes on this setup ever since they had come out with it a year or so ago when the Marshall rep had came into our shop with this head and the JCM800 combo, and fell in love with it then.

So how does it sound? In a word, brilliant. When cranked above about 4 with a humbucker guitar, the power tubes start to distort in a very musical way that is all Marshall. One thing I have noticed, though, is most of the gain is coming from the power tubes. If I roll back the volume on my pedalboard using the effects loop, it cleans up, giving you the Bassman sort of cleans, while the preamp section doesn’t have too much gain.

About the size, it does the big amp thing when pushed hard, as in, you feel the air moving. I wasn’t expecting it, and I haven’t really experienced it, due to never pushing my 100 watt Fender Twin to its limits (and it being a Pro Tube Twin Amp, I left it on quarter power). And, if the 50 watt combo’s weight annoyed me, why go with a head and 2x12? Most places I play, until I get a bar band going again, want me to either plug into a cabinet they supply, or go direct in using the DI out. The combo was unnecessary for that purpose, and now, the head is so much easier to transport. Also, I’d rather carry a head and a separate speaker cabinet, as it distributes the weight better now that I’ve had more experience.

All in all, I’ve been in love with this amp ever since I brought it home last week. Everything I’ve wanted in a British amp.

xland, pedecamp, Dave and 6 others like this.
  2. Robert Nunn

Robert Nunn Member

Nice set up and I miss my Marshall half stack which I sold years ago. I lost quite a bit of my hearing due to pushing amps/cabs like that. Be mindful of your hearing

Logan likes this.
  3. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

I have a good set of earplugs that lowers sound by 14db (without loss of tone), so I should be good :thumb:

Keeping my hearing has always been a huge concern for me, as I love the sound of an overdriven electric guitar too much to lose it!

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    Robert Nunn likes this.
  4. catstudioguitars

catstudioguitars Member

20 watts is perfect for a non master volume amp.

5. tolm

tolm Well-Known Member

Awesome!!! I’ve had a couple of Origin amps but both have ultimately gone as my Supro combo is just a better pedal platform ...

But I really want to get a Studio Vintage at some point!

Logan likes this.
  6. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Congrats.

That amp is getting great reviews from everyone that tries them.

Logan likes this.
  7. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

love it. looks great and has to be easier to carry around... and still plenty LOUD.

Logan likes this.
  8. Most_Triumphant

Most_Triumphant New Member

Nice amp! I'm buying an Origin 20H to dip my toes into the Marshall sound. I may eventually go the same route you are going. Are they similar in volume?

Logan likes this.
  9. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I got one of these amps last year, freaking brilliant amp for sure, congrats! I run a JHS volume box in the loop and can dime the amp and get some good crunch going at reasonable volume. :yesway:

Logan likes this.
  10. cheshiergrin

cheshiergrin Well-Known Member

Congrats, I am envious as I have always wanted a Plexi type amp.

Logan likes this.
  11. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

They are very similar in volume. Went from a 50 1x12 to a 20 2x12, and got the same volume out of each of them.

12. tolm

tolm Well-Known Member

Indeed - 20W is plenty when you’re cranking the thing for power tube breakup! I bought a 25W Supro Black Magick Reverb last week. Ho-lee... that think is LOUD!