I Think I'm in Love...

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by michaelinokc, Jul 20, 2012.

1. michaelinokc

michaelinokc Well-Known Member

2. Kevy Nova

Kevy Nova Well-Known Member

I don't know, why is it that every time they make something like this, they take away two of the controls?!? For me, losing my separate volume/tone knobs is like losing two fingers.

Biddlin, njpaulc and smitty_p like this.
  3. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Same.

Biddlin likes this.
  4. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Well, not the same - I play guitars with a single tone and volume control, like a Tele, but I prefer my Gibson designs to have the 2+2 control layout that adds a lot of versatility to the sound.

So although it's OK for a Tele to have 1+1 controls it ain't for a 2 pickup Gibson (or SGSO).

This guitar makes no sense having 1+1 controls as the whole marketing seems to be how much this is like a Les Paul. Go figure.

5. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

i actually like the simple controls on my stepdaughter's Epi Les Paul Special ll... which was designed as an entry level guitar, and intended to let newbies concentrate on style rather than getting bogged down by too many tonal choices. I also liked it on the Goddess series, approved by women rockers who aren't gearheads and want simple practical controls and a wrapover bridge. they don't like to fiddle with their guitars as much as we do, they want something that works well without too many bells and whistles.

Why would anyone put this on an SG Diablo? ...not as an entry level feature certainly... but maybe as the mark of the guitar played by an elite performer who always gets good sound, because he travels with his own sound man, who is supervised by a road manager. I read an interview with Nikki Sixx, where he was describing the one knob control on his bass. he doesn't need any controls on his instrument, because he's got people EQing his signal when he performs. all he has to do is turn it on and rock. he said so. he said his style was aggressive and brutal and he wasn't going to be turning his volume knob down 20%, or twisting any tone controls.

the rest of us tend to play at lower volume levels, for smaller audiences... and maybe we need a few controls because we listen to our sound and adjust it to suit ourselves. We don't always get good sound and need to be able to make changes as we hear the need. for us there might be a soundman, but he might not be paying attention. so we have to mix ourselves sometimes, as best we can. but I still like the elegant simplicity of the diablo's control layout... the Special ll works fine that way, without as many tonal nuances as my SG has. Maybe tonal nuances are not what the Diablo is about.

6. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

That control layout means, for some players, that there is something else to adjust when going from rhythm to lead.

Toggle, pedal and tone.

For instance, if you always use the same tone settings, say, neck on 8,
    bridge on 10, you have to also adjust the tone each time you switch.

Who needs that?

Kevy Nova likes this.
  7. njpaulc

njpaulc Well-Known Member

Why do they put the toggle switch in such an asinine position? 2 tone 2 volume, why is that so hard?

8. michaelinokc

michaelinokc Well-Known Member

Sounds like you guys aren't gonna buy them all up. I should have a great selection then!

Kevy Nova and smitty_p like this.
  9. stdio

stdio Member

10. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

So they are imitating the people that imitated them.
    I think the entire Gibson design department is brain dead
    and has not had a good idea since 1961.

11. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Maybe a few years late...not many.

But then again Fender, Gretsch, and others haven't had a good new idea that rates with the BASIC 50's/SG 60's design, and as far as Ibanez, PRS, ESP, Charvel, Jackson, G & L, Peavey, Music Man, even Parker (please fill in the blanks)....

When was the last really good idea in guitars? 1961 71 81 91? Have there been ANY game-changing designs lately? Maybe the 80's shredder "super-Strats" ? I'd say no, they are just a neck-though Strat. Neck through, BIgsby and Rickenbacker, before 1960.

I still play an ES-175 (late 40's, humbuckers late 50's, Teles and Strats (early 50's), 335/45/55's (late 50's), SG's, early 60's. Nothing new has impressed me any more. My sax player buddies still like their 50's/60's Selmer Mk 6's.

The only "recent" design in my collection is a later 80's Yamaha BX-1 bass.

I'm either forgetting some good things or I've become a real curmudgeon.

12. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I just read my reply...I guess I'm saying that since the SG, what new design is really wonderful?

13. stdio

stdio Member

Maybe they're "damned if they do / damned if they don't" with respect to any design changes. I was trained to love the '61 reissue style SG back when I was 12 or so. Whether it's advertising, the bands I liked back then, or anything else is debatable, but that set of appointments just does it for me. I could probably be worse, at least I ain't worried about my bevel depth or anything.... :)

14. Col Mustard

*laughs... good one. but what about the Line 6 Variax? What about the Robot SG... (I know we all dissed this, but I thought it was a wonderful idea, and what we've all been begging for, they just didn't execute it well enough). What about the Robot Strat that gives you several tuning options including DADGAD... What about the Zack style abortion that has an SG front and a Flying V rear, call it a flying G (or maybe flying Z)... isn't that a great and viable innovation? What about Fender's "Pawnshop" series, speaking of abortions.

And let's not be USA-centric... what about other countries? What are the Eastern European Heavy Metal artists using? Mustaine style Angel of Deth? or Dime style Dean guitars? What about the Schecter 7 String Hell Raisers and Damions... What are North Korean rebel rockers playing? (hell if I know... To me it's funny that communist dictators think Rock an Roll music is dangerous and subversive, just like our domestic republican versions do.)
    What do they play in France? Anybody know? What do they play in Japan?

having brought all this up, I still favor a couple of the designs they got right the first time... The Fender Telecaster and the Gibson SG. And my beloved Jazz Bass. These designs have not been able to be improved, unless it's adding Humbuckers to the Tele, or adding P-90s to the SG. I think there have been lots of innovations in the last fifty years that proved to be unnecessary, in spite of how imaginative they were. Which is the final hurdle for any "improvement..." Is it necessary? Will it help us in a dark venue when something doesn't work right? Is it roadable? Can we fix it with a screwdriver and a soldering iron? Does it help the music sound better? That's what we want to know.

15. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

Can't say it would be a redesign, but I'd love an SG with an HSS configuration. I know, I know...I grew up in the '80's and '90's in the midst of pointy Jacksons, when every gitfiddle had a whammy bar and the humbucker, single, single pickup setup. But, I would REALLY use that type of setup.

16. Tah-lee

Tah-lee Active Member

Ah, the good 'ol days...:naughty:

17. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm quoting myself. It's like a time warp. Anyway, I realize I need to revise and extend my remarks, Mr. Chairman. I actually graduated high school in the mid-80's and was raising my own family in the '90's. So, I should have said I grew up in the '70's and '80's. Ah well...I've been 29 for so many years I lose track of time. Happen to anyone else here?

I'd still like an SG with an HSS setup, though.

18. Col Mustard

well, we prolly have some members here with a Humbucker and a P-90 mounted on an SG... don't we? I'm sure we do. It seems impure somehow to consider putting Strat style single coils on a Gibson guitar... maybe that qualifies as a genuine innovation...but I'd rather see it on one of dbb's "SG shaped objects." How 'bout a P-94?

oh, and to get back to thread... I really like the Iced Tea carved maple on one of those diablos. If I had $2500 that I didn't need very badly, I could
    be tempted by this guitar. Tone Pros Bridge & Tail, locking tuners... Plek'd action... it's got a lot of good points. I wonder if the locking tuners make the axe head heavy? My adaptation to this control layout would likely be to install a blend pot in place of the 3 position switch, and that would give me the tonal range I wanted. But lucky me, I already own my dream guitar, so I'm only academically interested in the Diablo. We all like to dream... and sometimes drool.

but hey, if I had that much money to blow, I'd have a lot of options. what's the consensus here about the Burstbuckers they've equipped this Diablo with?

19. Tah-lee

Tah-lee Active Member

I'm 42, but my wife says I have the mentality of a 17 year old. :naughty: Does that count?!?

20. stdio

stdio Member

I used to think the Line 6 stuff was a good idea, and digital modeling can be useful, but I can still hear the pppffffsssssstttt...... on them when they fade out, there is an artificial ting they can't get rid of. Maybe the last generation or so has gotten better, it's been a few years for me.