I won this Vintage SG Custom on ebay - Doh!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by minotaur, Dec 8, 2011.

1. minotaur

minotaur Member

I did not plan on bidding as high as I did, but I won the auction. I'm kinda embarrased to say I punched in the wrong high bid based upon emotion (to be avoided I know!) with literally seconds left in the auction following my wishful highest $1,275, when I intended to enter $1,300. Regardless, I won it, and I am paid up and should have it in a week or so. All I could do was laugh it off, maybe it was just meant to be. Oh, and I canceled my waiting list spot on the SG 50th 12 string as a result. Here's the auction link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250943916785

While it has actual "known" musician value confirmed through email communication between Joe (of the Dead Milkmen) and myself, I am not sure if that is reflected in the price I ended up paying. I am a fan (I recently posted DM tabs on this forum), and that actually was how I found the guitar. I honestly don't circle in much on the vintage SG Customs and whatnot - out of my price range I figured - so I am not sure of the honest value. The guitar is beat up pretty good, probably the last color I'd want, but it has character. For now I will keep it as is, realizing I haven't held or played it yet. But if I want to restore and build up a monster SG someday, this could be a good platform. I have plenty of time to mull it over.

It is what it is now. Any idea what year it actually is, though? The space for a center pup is unfamiliar to me, so I am at a loss, maybe it was added/cut in along the way.

2. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

can't shed any light on the year but an old gibson with an artist history is always cool. Since you already talked to the guy, might be worth letting him know you bought the guitar and are a fan and see if he would be willing to sign a letter or something for you confirming he was an owner. That would add value to it down the road if you decide to sell and even if you don't... would be cool to have a signed letter from the original artist.

3. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

Am I the only forum member who has never heard of this band?

4. minotaur

minotaur Member

[quote author=sgtbeefheart link=topic=22000.msg263118#msg263118 date=1323431842]
    [/quote]

Do you listen to any punk? They have been around since mid 80's, Philly-based. They are punk-based, and had a pop-ish hit with Punk Rock Girl. Youtube search Punk Rock Girl or something, if you care to at all. Big Lizard in My Backyard is their first (and IMO best) album.

So, about that SG....

5. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

[quote author=sgtbeefheart link=topic=22000.msg263118#msg263118 date=1323431842]
    [/quote]

No!

Obviously they have some sort of following in the States but over here the name means nothing to 99.999999999999999999% of the population. ;D

The guitar has potential though. Price not too bad, someone's asking over $6k for a clean example of that vintage. :)

6. sgtbeefheart

[quote author=minotaur link=topic=22000.msg263119#msg263119 date=1323437491]
    Do you listen to any punk? They have been around since mid 80's, Philly-based. They are punk-based, and had a pop-ish hit with Punk Rock Girl. Youtube search Punk Rock Girl or something, if you care to at all. Big Lizard in My Backyard is their first (and IMO best) album.

So, about that SG....
    [/quote]

If that's punk, I'm Roy Rogers.

I'd also be too embarrassed to tell anyone where my SG came from if I bought that one.

7. minotaur

minotaur Member

I wanted to clarify a vague statement I made above:I have seen vintage custroms with three humbuckers, of course, but the center one on this guy looks the size of a narrow one - like a single coil size.

[quote author=sgtbeefheart link=topic=22000.msg263123#msg263123 date=1323473749]

I'd also be too embarrassed to tell anyone where my SG came from if I bought that one.
    [/quote]
    :D I guess I'll have to re-examine what label the musical industry put on them, because I seemingly have offended the almighty Categorizer of Music. I'm here to talk SG's, not about a heading or a grouping where you find a certain band filed away in a music store. I guess you don't know much about the era of this guitar, because you keep shifting focus here to your hangup with the band. I simply mentioned the artist thing in relation to the guitar's potential value - which I bought for the SG of it, but sure it's fun Joe owned it, for me. I thought I was clear about that above, with emphasis on the guitar discussion itself in my body of text. The thread title isn't "I bought so-and-so's guitar isn't it awesome?" If it was a Ibanez this guy once owned, I never would have even thought about buying it - not my brand. ...Gee, try to help broaden a guy's horizons and enlighten him a bit and you get dissed. :roll:

Thanks for the few supportive/informative comments on the main topic. It's time for me to go warm up the amp now. :)

8. sneakerpimp

sneakerpimp Member

[/quote]

i remember their One Hit... funny video.

9. AxRab

AxRab Member

10. sgtbeefheart

11. mrk

mrk Active Member

69-72 seems about right. Probably a replacement pickguard, this guit has obviously seen it's share of mods and abuse. The DM history on this piece is great, I wouldn't change a thing!

Mrk

12. mikeystool

mikeystool Well-Known Member

Dead Milkmen rule!!! last time i saw them in Philly a few years back, Halloween show, he was sporting a black sg standard...great band!

13. mikeystool

[quote author=sgtbeefheart link=topic=22000.msg263123#msg263123 date=1323473749]

[/quote]??? hi roy..thats punk...wtf do you consider punk? green day?

14. mikeystool

[quote author=sgtbeefheart link=topic=22000.msg263132#msg263132 date=1323524798]
    Sex Pistols - God Save the Queen (Studio)
    [/quote]thats a boy band...even though i really dig their ONE album(studio)...punk comes in many forms, not just spikey hair and safety pins my friend..some punk bands actually have talent, like the Dead Milkmen...rant over... ;)

15. mikeystool

[quote author=minotaur link=topic=22000.msg263110#msg263110 date=1323382747]
    I did not plan on bidding as high as I did, but I won the auction. I'm kinda embarrased to say I punched in the wrong high bid based upon emotion (to be avoided I know!) with literally seconds left in the auction following my wishful highest $1,275, when I intended to enter $1,300. Regardless, I won it, and I am paid up and should have it in a week or so. All I could do was laugh it off, maybe it was just meant to be. Oh, and I canceled my waiting list spot on the SG 50th 12 string as a result. Here's the auction link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250943916785

While it has actual "known" musician value confirmed through email communication between Joe (of the Dead Milkmen) and myself, I am not sure if that is reflected in the price I ended up paying. I am a fan (I recently posted DM tabs on this forum), and that actually was how I found the guitar. I honestly don't circle in much on the vintage SG Customs and whatnot - out of my price range I figured - so I am not sure of the honest value. The guitar is beat up pretty good, probably the last color I'd want, but it has character. For now I will keep it as is, realizing I haven't held or played it yet. But if I want to restore and build up a monster SG someday, this could be a good platform. I have plenty of time to mull it over.

It is what it is now. Any idea what year it actually is, though? The space for a center pup is unfamiliar to me, so I am at a loss, maybe it was added/cut in along the way.
    [/quote]i really dig it btw, love the goldness!!

16. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

17. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

[quote author=mikeystool link=topic=22000.msg263135#msg263135 date=1323525446]
    ??? hi roy..thats punk...wtf do you consider punk? green day?
    [/quote]

Sounded more like a juvenile version of The Housemartins to me. :? (US readers: look them up.)

But, hey ho.... going off topic there.... any mental plans forming for renovation of the Custom yet? :)

18. sgtbeefheart

I guess you had to be there.

Keeping this short, as I have to meet with my granddaughter whose
    going to show me how to tie my shoe laces.

19. TNT

TNT Active Member

A pic of the heel joint would be good. If any of the pots are original the codes would be a better indicator of build date. As an aside, White SG Customs from that era seem to be much rarer than the natural-finished ones. Unless it was being sold to a Hard Rock Cafe I would restore it back to original. I think it's a '68-early '69 model so far.

20. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

[quote author=sgtbeefheart link=topic=22000.msg263154#msg263154 date=1323562421]
    I guess you had to be there.

Keeping this short, as I have to meet with my granddaughter whose
    going to show me how to tie my shoe laces.

[/quote]

They make slip on's now Sarge. ;)