ID help '03 Les Paul Standard or '00 61 Reissue???

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by jrmullin, Sep 8, 2014.

1. jrmullin

jrmullin Active Member

Hello wise SG scholars,
    I have what I believed to be a 2000 Custom Shop VOS '61 Reissue, but I have a buyer who quite frankly sounds a bit more well versed on the subject than I, and believes it's a 2003 Gibson Les Paul Standard with Maestro Vibrola. The serial number is 003612, which I thought would mean 00=year, 361=production number, and 2=model (SG Standard). He notes that the pickup covers are shiny rather than dull nickel and the case is not a custom shop case. I do have the Custom Shop COA. I'm a Fender convert and relative newbie to all things SG. Any insight is greatly appreciated. By any name, she's pretty sweet.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      98.5 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      99 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      97.6 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      97.2 KB
      Views:
    Hammer likes this.
  2. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

I got no clue to what it is but it sure is purdy

jrmullin likes this.
  3. Steve P

Steve P Active Member

jrmullin likes this.
  4. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

You're both sort of right. It is an SG Standard and it is a 2000 Custom Shop Reissue. You are dead on with your serial number reading. It does not appear to be a VOS and the case appears to be non-original. And, yesh...she is schweeeet. :thumb:

jrmullin likes this.
  5. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

Be glad it's the non VOS version, which started in '06 IIRC...all they did was half ass the finish, smeared goo on it and horribly unrealistic "aging" on the hardware... Huge fail IMO...

jrmullin and Biddlin like this.
  6. jrmullin

jrmullin Active Member

Thanks all. The serial numbers don't delineate the reissue year, '61 or '62. Are there other features that help identify the model year?

I've only been a member for a short while, but I've found this site to be a source of fascinating daily reading. Thanks everyone.

7. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

I don't think I agree with the serial number decode.

Gibson didn't offer those Custom certificates in 2000.

WRT to serial numbers you might think that 2010 model might be numbered 10XXX2 but that doesn't seem to have happened e.g. I have an 2012 custom shop numbered 02XXX2.

Gibson don't seem to have rolled over to a 1XXXX2 number range. They might be trying to maintain some linkage to original number schemes but it's gibson. Who knows? The only other handy piece of info would be the pre packing list with the shipment date but I'm guessing you don't have that (probably in the original case)

Anyway, I think you have a 2010 Standard Reissue non-VOS

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    jrmullin likes this.
  8. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

Err...didn't they start in '99?

Yea, I completely forgot the cycle them every 10 years. :iough: :) Bums. In either case, OP, if you email or call Gibbo and either describe or send pics of what you have, they should be able to give you a definitive answer.

9. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

Good points..also, those certainly are not circa 2000 fretboard inlays, as those were rounded "mother of toilet seat" white, while those appear to be the yellowish swirly pointed edge acrylic ones from '04 ish and up..

10. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

jrmullin likes this.
  11. jrmullin

jrmullin Active Member

Oh man! The plot thickens! I'll give them a call, and let you know their response. Thanks all.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    Hammer likes this.
  12. jrmullin

jrmullin Active Member

Okay, so the good people at Gibson were able to match a guitar matching my description and serial number to a 2000 Custom Shop Reissue, but they were also able to match the same serial number to a 2010 Custom Shop Reissue. He said the best way to ID the date would be to check the pot codes in the back. Unfortunately, I'll be chained to my desk until 830 or so tonight, but I'll be opening her up then.

I didn't buy it from the person in Hammer's link, so the question remains: Is that my guitar in the pics one or more sellers removed, or is mine the other 003612? In any event, it saddens me to think of her being passed around so much. Maybe she isn't for sale after all. I think the PayPal gods would appreciate an alternate sacrifice just as much. My wife's diamond earrings? They don't do nothin' but hang there anyway!

Hammer likes this.
  13. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Just curious - why are you thinking of selling? That thing is straight up awesome and if it was mine I wouldn't let it out of my sight.

14. jrmullin

jrmullin Active Member

I'm at the stage in my life where I can afford a nice guitar, but I'm not at the stage where I can afford ten of them, so I have to make some hard sacrifices. I may need to re-think my strategy though. I'm going to try to hold on to this one.

15. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I hear you there. I culled the herd myself a few years back. Just try to keep a core of 4-5 that allows me to cover all the bases I need these days.

That one definitely looks like a keeper to me!

Moose likes this.
  16. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

The custom shop issued certificates from 99 but the black booklet affair didn't start until later, 2008 I guess.

I've got a 2007 with the old paper certificate and a 2009 with the black booklet.

17. jrmullin

jrmullin Active Member

Alright, so in trying to read the serial number on the pots I found 440-705 0720. If I'm reading that right, that's a 500K pot made in 2007. This, along with Kris' point about the inlays, Hammer's finding a previous sale, and Moose's note about the black booklet, would seem to point to a 2010 Gibson Custom Shop Reissue non-Vos. Am I safe to call it that?

Moose and Hammer like this.
  18. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

Looks like it! :thumb:

[​IMG]